Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

A Bike is a Bike

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

A Bike is a Bike

Old 07-20-20, 01:35 PM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Passion is the root of all evil.
Christianity is the root of evil
Old 07-20-20, 01:37 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_max
I am a strong believer in life that if everyone bought what they needed and not what they wanted, there would not been so much over consumption...
That you would cite the global impact of over-consumption, seemingly in support of your argument for a performance-based system of merit for road bikes, is a laughable, steaming pile of pseudo-intellectual bull****.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-20-20, 01:39 PM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling

You are amusing, if nothing else. Immaturity and a lack of real experience shows though - you keep projecting nonsense based upon an evidently deep-seated need to feel superior somehow.

While I certainly don't need to explain/justify anything to some random on the internet, I'll humour you just as an example of how our usernames hide people with vastly different backgrounds to you.

I grew up in Apartheid South Africa. I've witnessed the worst of have and have-not society. My Father put two kids through school and University alongside my sisters and I from impoverished households. I've had my home vandalised, ransacked 3 times, been shot at by armed burglars, been hijacked, been involved in a bad situation saving my sister from the man who was raping her and I lost my mother to violence when I was a teenager. I've also had an extremely privileged life. A comparatively luxurious one compared to very many folks I grew up with and worked with.

I arrived in my birth country, the UK, in my late 20's with less than two weeks rent to my name and forged a living - a good one. I bought the Porsche 911 I wanted for my fortieth birthday (997.2 C2); a goal alongside a really good home that I had set for myself. I support 3 charities - two for kids, one in the UK, one in SA and Save the Rhino in SA. I could do more, sure, we all could but we also enjoy the trappings of our personal good fortune. I'm no altruist, I admit that. But I do something to help, however small, those less lucky. I live in a country and region now that also has great disparities of wealth. Many of my friends locally earn in a year what I make in a month. I have bought two of them bike upgrades, cycle clothing etc in 'devious' little ways so that they don't feel I am stepping on their pride. I live in a luxury sea-view home within walking distance of some of Europe's finest beaches - yeah, solar PV & thermal, rainwater capture, low energy, the works and an EV car; none of that makes us virtuous by the way - I love green energy but it doesn't signal I'm 'better' like you seem to think it does in your case.

I 'work' from home, no commute. Wife likewise. Vegan? You can stick that right up your backside! I'm a carnivore and make no apologies! But all of this us just a pissing contest. You want us to believe you are against showing off by trying to hide your own showing off with false justifications - you are virtue signalling as a means to desperately explain to us why you 'need' your lifestyle and what you have. Do you not see this? Vegan. LEED home. Solar. Helping friends but wanting recognition (fine, but recognise why...) all signals you want to be seen as superior somehow and, in your own mind, only having what you need because you have bought into an ideology that appeals to you.
your ecological footprint on this planet is a disaster.
you should go educate yourself about the subject.
you should have stayed in South Africa, it would have been better for the planet.
Old 07-20-20, 01:42 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
closing for a bit to cool off