Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike To Work Incentive Program

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-20-20, 08:52 PM
SpeedRanger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 18 Posts

My former employer offered a bike to work incentive program. Bike to work for one full week and receive one $50 gift certificate of your choosing.
Bike to work for a total of 30 days and receive a full day off work and another $50 gift certificate.
Sadly, my current employer does not offer biking incentives...how about yours?
Old 07-20-20, 09:49 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 330 Posts
The benefit that matters for me is a shower at work. A locker is a real fringe benefit, also.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 07-20-20, 10:49 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
It doesn't offer an incentive to cycle to work.
it also doesn't offer an incentive to cycle from work.
Same applies to walking, skateboarding, rollerblading, running, scootering, or using that electric one wheel board thing.
Old 07-20-20, 11:11 PM
yamsyamsyams

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
The only thing my work “offers” is free bike parking in a secured, badge access only room. Oh and it means not having to pay for car parking. Showers and lockers also.
Old 07-20-20, 11:56 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Around here there’s tons of encouragement from the cities and county and the climate. They installed a few bike lockers a year ago. They took out the free standing racks. I think there’s an M rack now. But I bring my bike in like pretty much everyone. We have a shower but it’s Covid-closed

There’s a benefit available from the state that also covers transit but it’s optional and mine doesn’t.
Old 07-21-20, 04:18 AM
cabledawg

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Only incentive I get is locked storage (our heavy equipment building which has limited access) and a shower. Oh and sometimes I get to leave early as we get three hours each week for gym time and I count my commute as gym time

Otherwise, no. No special incentive programs. Just a pat on the back from my doc
Old 07-21-20, 06:39 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
When I lived in California the state required employers to have a certain percentage of mass transit commuters or the state would force them to close parking lots. With that said all they offered was a free padlock to bike commuters for the locker room. Showers were plentiful.

My current employer on the east coast doesn't offer even padlocks. They do have showers with lockers all over the plant, and outdoor bike boxes that provide a weather tight enclosure for bikes.

Some companies are forward thinkers but for the most part I'm guessing incentives are only offered when the company faces itself gains an advantage from doing so.

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 07-21-20 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-21-20, 06:48 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
I had the benefit of "working from home" during the pandemic in NYC, but being required to do multiple site visits 100 blocks away in the shadiest parts of town. Oh, the stuff I saw.... I had to get there by magic, apparently, because the bosses had no plans on how I could get there.

Magic=Pink Stumpjumper. Who'd mess with the only guy out, riding a pink bike during a lockdown?
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 07-21-20, 07:00 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,675 Times in 827 Posts
I've been biking to work most days year-round for 29 years. I would bankrupt your former employer with his incentive plan.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 07-21-20, 10:03 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Some Benefits...

My employer offers a range of incentives for workers who choose not to drive solo to work. Rideshare preferred parking is most prominent. There is also a wide-ranging reimbursement program for using public transit rather than driving, a cash incentive. I don't know too much about it, since it doesn't apply to me.

For bicyclists, it's a bit different. First, we have bicycle lanes on the very large installation where I work, so there's free movement to the front of the line at traffic lights. Nice. Drivers are considerate, and the local constabulary is supportive and protective of us. We also have a very nice and visible set of bike racks at my building, onto which we may place our own permanent locks. We have a basement restroom/locker room with showers, excellent ventilation and fans, benches and a clothes drying rack, which is convenient. Lockers are for day-use only, which isn't a problem for me. Plus, I'll add that most people are supportive of the few of us who bike to work regularly. My boss is very understanding of the few times where I have a mechanical on the way in, or need to leave a bit early to get ahead of a line of strong storms. He'll say to me, "have you seen the sky? you need to get out of here", kind of thing.

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 07-22-20 at 05:30 AM.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 07-21-20, 11:37 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,923 Times in 1,207 Posts
I can only dream of a bike to work incentive program like OP's.

I get to use the gym with its showers when it's open. Gym is closed now because of Covid, but I'm working from home, so it's not much of a loss. They do have covered bike racks, which really helps keep the bike from rusting from afternoon thunderstorms in the summer. Finally, the bike rack is close to the entrance, so I don't have to walk a half a mile if I get in a bit late (but then the showers were closed for cleaning when that happened).
Old 07-21-20, 01:08 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I'm allowed to bring my bike indoors at my current employer, as well as at my last. That's my favorite incentive.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 07-21-20, 01:42 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
My employer is a small non-profit, so nope. I do get to park my bike in the building, so there's that. Keeping my blood sugar down to a dull roar is my incentive. Or was. We're all on paid leave for as long as the state keeps paying the company.
Old 07-21-20, 02:10 PM
Vismund B

Bikes: An old Panasonic Sport

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
I work on construction. On my current job site I asked to bring my bicycle into the job site one Saturday that was supposed to rain very heavily. I was told “No, that’s a health hazard” so I went and parked my bike outside in my usual spot.

Upon entering the job I politely asked “I’m just wondering...this is a construction site, there are health hazards around every corner, how is a bicycle considered a health hazard?”

They didn’t appreciate my “back talk” and my “poor attitude” and it escalated from there. I was eventually asked...no, I was told to leave the job site immediately or risk being banned for life.

If they had said “sorry company policy states no bikes scooters blah blah blah on the job site” I would’ve just left it alone. But c’mon, a bicycle is a health hazard on a construction site? What a bunch of bull.

Side note: I had the fastest commute home from work on record. I was so pumped from the adrenaline of the whole situation I was in beast mode.
Likes For Vismund B:
Old 07-21-20, 02:25 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
My only bike-to-work incentive program comes from my wife. Given our geographic area and socio-economic class, we are outliers in NOT having a second motor vehicle - which is possible because I ride a bike to work most of the time. Given that this saves us a huge amount of money, my wife doesn't even blink when I spend money (as much as I want) on bikes and related items.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-21-20, 05:37 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,905 Posts
No incentives. Only would receive complaints, negative comments, incur costs from needing to buy PPE approved while cycling or walking with bicycle on property & risk being tampered with by careless reckless walkerbyers
Old 07-21-20, 06:23 PM
jbell_64

Bikes: Trek fx 7.2, Raleigh Tamland

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
3 hours per week of paid time off for exercise.
Old 07-21-20, 06:36 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I would love to be able to cycle to work via safe pathways and have a shower waiting for me at the other end.

But the reality is that having a job and keeping it is the only incentive, perk, and benefit any of my employers have ever given. Been that way my entire 33 years working in my industry. Hoping to make it at least another 10 years before I'm forced to pick another line of work.
Old 07-22-20, 01:27 AM
AlgarveCycling

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
In the UK there have been various cycle to work schemes for many years now involving tax rebate incentives - it used to be your employer was able to access up to £1000 for you from the Government scheme to spend on a bike but I understand it can be unlimited now although not sure of how it works. I do know that when I lived in the UK, some my friends had really nice 'free' bikes from this, using money otherwise lost to tax.
Old 07-22-20, 05:18 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Vismund B
I work on construction. On my current job site I asked to bring my bicycle into the job site one Saturday that was supposed to rain very heavily. I was told “No, that’s a health hazard” so I went and parked my bike outside in my usual spot.

Upon entering the job I politely asked “I’m just wondering...this is a construction site, there are health hazards around every corner, how is a bicycle considered a health hazard?”

They didn’t appreciate my “back talk” and my “poor attitude” and it escalated from there. I was eventually asked...no, I was told to leave the job site immediately or risk being banned for life.

If they had said “sorry company policy states no bikes scooters blah blah blah on the job site” I would’ve just left it alone. But c’mon, a bicycle is a health hazard on a construction site? What a bunch of bull.

Side note: I had the fastest commute home from work on record. I was so pumped from the adrenaline of the whole situation I was in beast mode.
PM / architect here; site safety is a big deal. A violation will get a cease order and tons of money will be on the line. Basically, if it is not needed right now for the job, get it out of there.

There is usally an office somewhere you can bring a bike in, but space is always tight; especially when there is a meeting. Having said that, I do know office architects that ride to job sites and bring their bikes in. Things are different for them, sometimes people don't even call them out on PPE - depends on the super. For field guys, its easier to just not bother trying. My .02
Old 07-22-20, 05:21 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
My old employer has a massive parking problem...no one is happy about it....and they don't offer anything.

AAMOF--with Human Malware running amok, they're asking people to quit carpooling and using buses....because there's so much free parking for single-occupancy-vehicles on even a good day. Seriously, the people who wrote that book I'm 99% certain have perma-reserved parking spots.
Old 07-22-20, 07:30 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 986 Posts
Living in the Los Angeles area, employers with more than 50 employees are required to have some type of 'alternate commute' program to reduce car trips. We have an incentive program for alternate commuting using public transportation, walking, bicycling, carpooling, etc. The 'incentive' is gift cards to local stores, and I usually get a grocery store gift card each month (ya gotta eat!), about $50. We also have bike lockers.
Old 07-22-20, 08:23 AM
RGMN

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
My employer provides a bent up bike rack that isn't fastened to anything and a policy that wearing sports clothing inside any building is strictly forbidden. This means we need to change clothes prior to entering or after leaving the building. One of my female co-workers caused quite a commotion when she changed clothes outside the employee entrance to go for a lunch-time run.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 07-22-20, 01:43 PM
EviLDORK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Canondale Synapse, Canondale Touring 1, Salsa Mukluk, Masi Uno, Trek 850

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN
My employer provides a bent up bike rack that isn't fastened to anything and a policy that wearing sports clothing inside any building is strictly forbidden. This means we need to change clothes prior to entering or after leaving the building. One of my female co-workers caused quite a commotion when she changed clothes outside the employee entrance to go for a lunch-time run.
Strict dress codes are probably why I see the most bicycle commuters when the temperature is only slightly above freezing. People just don't want to soak their formal business attire with sweat.
Old 07-22-20, 03:02 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN
That sucks. When I ride to work I walk in wearing whatever I rode in. When I go to my NJ office, that’s bibs and a jersey. I change in my office. Repeat for the reverse commute.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.