Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which of these 3 bibs would you choose from? (Castelli, Sportful, Alé))

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Which of these 3 bibs would you choose from? (Castelli, Sportful, Alé))

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-20, 11:10 PM
cvrle1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Which of these 3 bibs would you choose from? (Castelli, Sportful, Alé)

I am looking into getting a 1st bib and found 3 that I cant decide between. Price is same between these 3 (well $10 max difference) so it doesnt make a difference really.

Castelli Endurance 2
Sportful BodyFit Pro Air (same as pro LTD, but have light mesh on thighs, so made for bit warmer weather)
Alé R-EV1 Speedfondo

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-24-20, 12:07 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Do they have any colour on them and does that match your bike? Or maybe a bike you'd like to buy, because that would be a great reason to buy a new bike. I'd buy those ones.
Old 07-24-20, 12:25 AM
cvrle1

Originally Posted by znomit
Do they have any colour on them and does that match your bike? Or maybe a bike you'd like to buy, because that would be a great reason to buy a new bike. I'd buy those ones.
All 3 of them are just black, with Castelli having option of dark steel blue as well. Bike is all white, with black lettering, and I just got it about a week ago, so wouldnt get a new one

Castelli

Sportful (only difference is gold vs anthracite on the bottom left, blue isnt available)

Alé

Tried to minimize these pics, but they are automatically reverted back to original size :S
Old 07-24-20, 06:20 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
I'm all over that dark steel blue.
Likes For znomit:
Old 07-24-20, 06:33 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Castelli, the Progetto pad is fantastic, I've done 8+ hours in my Free Race Aero (same pad) with no issues.

Have to watch their sizing tho, they tend to run small. I wear a medium in most clothing, but a large in Castelli bibs (and a L or XL depending on which jersey).
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 07-24-20, 07:04 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Castelli, the Progetto pad is fantastic, I've done 8+ hours in my Free Race Aero (same pad) with no issues.

Have to watch their sizing tho, they tend to run small. I wear a medium in most clothing, but a large in Castelli bibs (and a L or XL depending on which jersey).
The Castelli Progetto X2 pad is great, but the Endurance bibs have a flimsy material in the thigh area, that wears quickly.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 07-24-20, 08:27 AM
Rides4Beer

Originally Posted by noodle soup
The Castelli Progetto X2 pad is great, but the Endurance bibs have a flimsy material in the thigh area, that wears quickly.
Good to know, I've only ever used the Free Race Aeros, and LW tights for the winter, both have been great.
Old 07-24-20, 08:32 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Based on looks alone, I like the Ale. I have zero experience wearing any of the three though.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 07-24-20, 10:33 AM
cvrle1

Thanks everyone, thinking along different lines, I am not sure if going with something higher end like these bibs would make sense for new rider like me that wont be doing any long rides in foreseeable future (no stamina for starters lol) Main reason i thought of these is because I can get them for a bit more than something generic like black bib plus. Black Bib Plus would be $80 shipped to Canada, while these would be around $110. For $30 more I feel like I can get much more. Heck, I was even looking into Castelli Free Aero Race 4 as that one would be about $130 all in. Again though I am not sure if it would be an overkill for me. Thanks again for the help
Old 07-24-20, 10:56 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Love my Castelli bibs.
Old 07-24-20, 11:28 AM
Rides4Beer

Originally Posted by cvrle1
Thanks everyone, thinking along different lines, I am not sure if going with something higher end like these bibs would make sense for new rider like me that wont be doing any long rides in foreseeable future (no stamina for starters lol) Main reason i thought of these is because I can get them for a bit more than something generic like black bib plus. Black Bib Plus would be $80 shipped to Canada, while these would be around $110. For $30 more I feel like I can get much more. Heck, I was even looking into Castelli Free Aero Race 4 as that one would be about $130 all in. Again though I am not sure if it would be an overkill for me. Thanks again for the help
I tried the Black Bibs Plus, and was not that impressed, only slightly better than $30 bibs from Amazon, and not even close to Castelli quality. Not only the pad, but the fabric itself. I've got two seasons in my Free Aero Race bibs (several pair) and they've still got life in them (I ride a lot too, 10,000 miles last year). I wash them on gentle and air dry.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 07-24-20, 11:35 AM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
I've been riding the Endurance 2's since last summer, with no visible wear. Apart from knickers and full leg ones over winter (with the same excellent pad), it's all on the Endurance 2's. But they're borderline too big now at XL, and I want to try the new Assos Cento EVOs, so am waiting for those to go on sale. I used to ride various Assos Milles a lot in the past, and my body shape now is very similar to then (narrow waist and hips, more glutes and legs). I do think as good as the Castellis are, Assos is a notch above and when spending 8 hours on the bike, only stopping to refill my water bottle, every notch counts. After 6-7 hours I find myself wishing I were on the Milles of the past.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Likes For sfrider:
Old 07-24-20, 12:06 PM
cvrle1

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer

Thanks for the info. So even though my measurements are identical to medium according to their size chart, I should still get L?
Old 07-24-20, 03:26 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 206 Posts
Also bear in mind that Castelli and Sportful is the same company. They sell both at the factory outlet I was in Fonzaso IT, so they may be a branding difference only?
I have a pair of Castelli Volo Limited edition Bib Shorts, that were on sale a couple of years ago, and never liked them. I keep them for emergencies only
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 07-24-20, 03:59 PM
Beach Bob

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
My experience with Castelli is that the Progresso pad is fantastic; I loved it so much in the Free Aero Race bibs that I got a pair of the Endurance bibs... problem is that Castelli shortened the straps on the Endurance bibs to "ensure that there is no pad slippage"... that wasn't a problem with the Free Aeros... but the slightly shorter straps on the Endurance bibs tend to dig in when standing and have relegated the bibs to my second tier.

No experience with Sportful...

Ale - Very much like them. I own three or four sets of their kit and the pads are all great and their overall fit and finish is top notch. A lot more "fun" design elements as well. As a brand, it is widely distributed and is ALWAYS on sale somewhere...

Of your three options, I'd be choosing the Ale...
Likes For Beach Bob: