Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Weird Question; non smelling chain lube?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-10-20, 02:57 PM
Old Fart D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just joined this forum and wanted to ask this question as I thought some people on here might know. I am an older and casual bike rider who needs the exercise and transport as I have some major health issues and can't get around much otherwise. My problem is I don't have any other place to store my bike but off in the corner of the living room by the door. I have not lubed the chain since getting the bike and feel it probably needs it now. I bought something called ProGold Prolink and was told at the shop that this didn't have much of a smell but it certainly did when I opened the bottle. Does this smell go away? I know if you keep a bike out in a garage it's probably difficult to notice, but it would be a nightmare for me if it made our living room smell like this! We re both sensitive to some odors. I haven't used it on the bike yet, but didn't know if maybe there's something better smellwise . I'd imagine at least a few people need to keep their bikes in their apartment or room and may have had similar issues. I mean I don't need it to smell nice, but I need to be sure it doesn't stink!

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any advise anyone can give! And I hope this is the right forum to post this to.
Old 03-10-20, 03:10 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
Smart-aleck answer: get some Chain-L, use it once, and you'll never notice the smell of Prolink ever again.

One step towards serious answer: take the lube and some paper towels and ride the bike to a park, coffee shop, etc. Put the lube on the chain, feed the ducks, eat an ice cream cone, kill a half an hour. Let the solvent evaporate. Wipe the chain down and ride home. If you try, you'll be able to smell something, but it will probably take an effort.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 03-10-20, 04:22 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
going to a more pure wax lubricant might be best for smelling less chemically. Otherwise, you're going to smell the lube, geese poop on the tires, & muck residue from the street water.
Old 03-10-20, 04:52 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Yeah, I'd guess a wax based lubricant that's in a base that evaporates, would (after the 15 minutes it takes to evaporate) only have left more or less just the wax, which doesn't have a smell like a petroleum based oil product. ymmv
Old 03-10-20, 05:58 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
wax I suppose is the least odorized chain lubricant. I have a WD-40 bike specific lube that actually smells good. Gets super dirty fast and only use it other peoples bikes now but it smells kind of fruity.
Old 03-10-20, 06:09 PM
slowpacer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I also keep my bike indoors and couldn't stand the smell of Pro Link chain lube. "Finish Line Wet" solved that problem. It is however much thicker than Pro Link but my chain is much quieter than ever before. I have not tried anything else besides these two.
Likes For slowpacer:
Old 03-11-20, 09:35 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Muc-off smells like candy, but then the smell dissipates after it evaporates.
Old 03-12-20, 02:34 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Boeshield T9. Lowest odor of any chain lube I've tried. It's mostly paraffin in an unspecified solvent, but it's not naphtha (used by many others including White Lightning Easy Lube and Rock 'n' Roll Absolute Dry). It's a very light lube and should be reapplied to the chain about every 100 miles. But the protection is very persistent. I even use it on the Spyderco pocket knife I carry on most bike rides. It used to develop light rust from my sweat, but not any longer since using Boeshield every few months. The imperceptible film is tenacious. I can see why it's so well regarded in the aircraft industy.
Old 03-12-20, 10:25 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Or just use motor oil like the Mobil 1 that I use. Very little smell, and probably the best lube you can use for a chain, since it is in a way a machine. BTW I get 4000 miles plus on my chains.
Old 03-12-20, 01:57 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Vegetable oil from the kitchen will do. When you come in from a ride put a little dollop on a paper towl, wrap around the chain and give the pedals a spin.
Old 03-12-20, 03:02 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Oster-Premium...dp/B00063KI5I/
Old 03-12-20, 04:16 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Smart-aleck answer: get some Chain-L, use it once, and you'll never notice the smell of Prolink ever again.

One step towards serious answer: take the lube and some paper towels and ride the bike to a park, coffee shop, etc. Put the lube on the chain, feed the ducks, eat an ice cream cone, kill a half an hour. Let the solvent evaporate. Wipe the chain down and ride home. If you try, you'll be able to smell something, but it will probably take an effort.
Yes, try the "lube it outdoors" plan. Shift the chain to the big front ring and the smallest rear cog. Let the lube soak in for a few minutes, then use some paper towels to wipe the outside of the chain. You can wipe all the lube off the outside -- it's the inside of the rollers that's critical. Wipe it again! Now shift to different gears, front and back, and wipe off the teeth that the chain was on. That should help with any residual smell, and the chain will be cleaner too.

I really like Chain-L (from a long time BF member). It's thick and the chain can look very dirty. But it lasts a long time. It holds up well if I ride in the rain, too. And there's no smell I can detect, dripping some on a paper and sniffing it.
I apply it carefully, one drop per roller, to lessen chain cleanup. It takes a while to wick into the roller, since it's much thicker. Wait to wipe it off. It's great on tools like garden clipper pivots, etc.