Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Kona Jake the Snake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-20, 01:57 PM
h.clakins

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kona Jake the Snake?

I'm trying to start doing some more gravel and single track rides. I have a hybrid city bike right now, but I'm looking at something that can work better as an all round bike for on and off road.

I found a 2014 Kona Jake the Snake online for $600. Good bike or no? Seems like a decent deal and well-maintained bike. Are there any downsides to the Jake the Snake?
Old 05-17-20, 02:08 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
After nearly 40,000 miles, a few centuries, a few years of commuting, and a whole lot of club rides, my 2000 JtS (bought new) is still my best bike. Well, may not be the best AT everything, but it's the one I'd keep if I had to get rid of all but one.
Old 05-17-20, 06:51 PM
pattrick

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
Kind of like the bike....

I also have a 2000 Jake I have put that thing through hell and back and it just laughs it off, mine is still has the original beefy steel fork. Mine now supports fenders and lights for bad weather and night rides, it still a pleasure to ride. I also have a 2016 that is stock except for the brakes which I replaced with TRP mech/hydraulics. I run 32 mm tires for rail trails, back roads, and the occasional horse trail, and put quite a few miles on it a year. If it's in good shape for the price I feel it would be fine for your needs they tend to be quite versatile.
Old 05-17-20, 07:45 PM
h.clakins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice bike! How is it offroad? I would like to ride some easy single tracks if possible.
Old 05-17-20, 07:46 PM
h.clakins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do you think of the newer carbon fork. How does it compare to the steel?
Old 05-18-20, 08:37 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
I have a 2011 JTS with the carbon fork and the bike is tough as nails. It has been through about nine or ten 'cross seasons, three headsets, three rear derailleurs, five or six bottom brackets, and it refuses to die. I felt like it was on borrowed time for the last four cyclocross seasons, but I feel no need to replace it because it is the lightest bike I own and is a great race bike.

Unfortunately, mine was manufactured as a pure race bike, so it does not have fender or rack mounts, so its utility is limited. Mid year of the year I bought mine, they started putting eyelets on, because I have seen both versions.The only thing that is original on the bike is the BB30 crankset, stem, and seat collar. Literally everything else has been replaced - more ergonomic bars and setback seat post, Gevenalle shifters, Chris King wheelset, and mini-v's like velojym .
Old 05-18-20, 08:39 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by h.clakins
Nice bike! How is it offroad? I would like to ride some easy single tracks if possible.
The Jake the Snake wouldn't be a good cross bike if it didn't handle singletrack well. You will love it on the trails, but it is a cross bike, not a mountain bike.
Old 05-18-20, 08:57 AM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

When it was my only rideable bike, I did some of the Winter tuesday night rides on it, which was mixed road and trail. Jake took it all in stride, and will clear some pretty fat rubber if you like.
I've run fenders, but decided to leave 'em off for the most part now, as I have a couple other bikes I'll ride in wetter weather now.
The carbon fork is nice, and saved a little weight, but honestly, I'm not sure I'd have spent the money, as the steel fork is lighter than I'd originally thought. Sure, it was stiff (still have it, and it's in good shape), but the wider tires have made a far bigger difference in the ride.
That fork may go back on, especially if I start bikepacking with Jake. I feel a lot better about clamping stuff to a steel fork, and the round tubing of the fork makes it a natural for clamping stuff to it.
Old 05-18-20, 03:43 PM
ArchEtech

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You can get carbon major jake and super jakes for under $1000 for the 2012-2015 model years. They are a little harder to find used being an less common brand. I think their construction is better than most. There is one in my area right now for $900. I had a Major Jake prior to my Warbird, and it was great. Very light, nice riding bike that was kind of between endurance and speed fit for me. More aggressive than some CX bikes, so it felt like a full on road bike with lightweight narrow racing wheels and tires. The paint/ clear really held up great to chips too.
Old 05-18-20, 06:37 PM
pattrick

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
carbon vs the steel

The fork on the 2000 appears to be rather beefy, but as I said I have abused it jumping curbs going places no cross bike had any right being and just pushing the envelope at times because....well I just wanted to. The 2016 has a carbon fork which seems quite sturdy I am sure it will take anything I care to put it through now.
Old 05-19-20, 09:42 AM
velojym

I saw one, I think it was a '14 or '15, on the Bay in my size a few days ago. It disappeared pretty quickly. The price was sure tempting, at around $600, IIRC.

Last edited by velojym; 05-19-20 at 05:06 PM. Reason: I to It
Old 05-19-20, 11:49 AM
Phatman

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 51 Posts
I've got a 2015 Jake the Snake, which I think is identical to the 2014 except for slightly different graphics. I really like mine. I take it on singletrack all the time, mostly just to cut through from gravel spot to gravel spot. I would definitely not say its "good" on singletrack, but its way better than a road bike. Probably not a whole lot better than your hybrid though. The main thing holding it back is tire clearance, I've got a 38mm Specialized Pathfinder on the rear and its about maxed out. I tried a 40mm Maxxis Rambler on a 19mm internal rim and it cleared in the stand, but the frame would flex just enough when riding to make it rub.

Old 05-19-20, 05:09 PM
velojym

Originally Posted by pattrick
The fork on the 2000 appears to be rather beefy, but as I said I have abused it jumping curbs going places no cross bike had any right being and just pushing the envelope at times because....well I just wanted to. The 2016 has a carbon fork which seems quite sturdy I am sure it will take anything I care to put it through now.
It took a lot more abuse than I'd ever trust to a road fork. Bunny hopping a *very* large dead armadillo on a long fast downhill... on chip n seal... because I was in a group and they couldn't get slowed down or clear quickly enough to let me get around it. Jake took it in stride. I did manage to pop a spoke in the rear wheel, but given the circumstances, I was impressed.