Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

DT Swiss Freehub Issues

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

DT Swiss Freehub Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-20, 01:03 PM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
DT Swiss Freehub Issues

Hi-I have been having issues with the stock rear wheel on my 2019 TCR Disc (SLR1 12mm TA wheel). After extensive research, I have determined they used DT Swiss 360 freehub body. The hub sometimes just rolls like butter but most the time there is this grinding noise coming out.

Should I just go ahead and get a new freehub since I neither have the tools nor the expertise to service the freehub? If yes, what model should I get? Can't seem to find the exact model online. Are there any compatible models? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-20-20, 02:33 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by rower2cyclist
Hi-I have been having issues with the stock rear wheel on my 2019 TCR Disc (SLR1 12mm TA wheel). After extensive research, I have determined they used DT Swiss 360 freehub body. The hub sometimes just rolls like butter but most the time there is this grinding noise coming out.

Should I just go ahead and get a new freehub since I neither have the tools nor the expertise to service the freehub? If yes, what model should I get? Can't seem to find the exact model online. Are there any compatible models? Thanks in advance.
I would have a shop convert the DT 360 pawl style freehub, to a splined ring gear style freehub. Even if you have to buy the tools and parts, it’s far cheaper than buying a new DT350 hub, and re-lacing the wheel.
Old 07-20-20, 02:37 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Noise or grinding when? Coasting?

DT Swiss freehubs are notoriously noisy when coasting. The followers of DT Swiss look for that unique oscillating noise they make when coasting. Myself, I like the quiet Shimano stuff I got used to. Eventually the DT Swiss rear free hub on my new bike will have to go.

Don't overlook brake noise from either a rotor scrubbing a disc pad or even a rim brake pad scrubbing.

Since there isn't an issue other than noise, you might just wait till there is a real issue. Especially if you have to pay others to do it for you.
Old 07-20-20, 02:59 PM
rower2cyclist

Originally Posted by noodle soup
I would have a shop convert the DT 360 pawl style freehub, to a splined ring gear style freehub. Even if you have to buy the tools and parts, it’s far cheaper than buying a new DT350 hub, and re-lacing the wheel.
Thx. Is there a brand/model you can recommend?

Originally Posted by Iride01
Noise or grinding when? Coasting?

DT Swiss freehubs are notoriously noisy when coasting. The followers of DT Swiss look for that unique oscillating noise they make when coasting. Myself, I like the quiet Shimano stuff I got used to. Eventually the DT Swiss rear free hub on my new bike will have to go.

Don't overlook brake noise from either a rotor scrubbing a disc pad or even a rim brake pad scrubbing.

Since there isn't an issue other than noise, you might just wait till there is a real issue. Especially if you have to pay others to do it for you.
No, not when coasting. It's when I turn the pedals. It's especially noticeable when I rotate the crankarms while lubing the chain. It's def coming from the hub. Let me see if I can upload the noise here.
Old 07-20-20, 03:07 PM
noodle soup

When I get home, I’ll look up the needed parts/tools.

it’s pretty easy to do, but many shops won’t have the tools.
Old 07-20-20, 03:30 PM
noodle soup

Do you have a 360 or a 370 hub?

I’m seeing now that the conversion isn’t recommended for 360 hubs because the seal is different.
Old 07-20-20, 03:50 PM
mattscq

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Would this work for 360 hubs?

Interesting that some people here are saying that DT Swiss hubs are noisy when coasting. I find mine to be so quiet I wonder if something's wrong half the time.
Old 07-20-20, 04:06 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by mattscq
Would this work for 360 hubs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_XpRZCLTX4

Interesting that some people here are saying that DT Swiss hubs are noisy when coasting. I find mine to be so quiet I wonder if something's wrong half the time.
from what I’m seeing, the conversion isn’t recommended for a 360 hub, because of a seal issue. I’ve done it, but DT says that the seal isn’t as tight as it should be.

In AZ it hasn’t been a problem, but YMMV.

As far as noise goes, 18t ring gears are very quiet when properly maintained, and 54t ring gears are pretty damn loud if you go very light on the grease.

I work at a shop, so I keep mine very lightly greased, and clean it frequently. It’s incredibly easy to maintain, so it’s no big deal to do it monthly.
Old 07-20-20, 04:12 PM
mattscq

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
from what I’m seeing, the conversion isn’t recommended for a 360 hub, because of a seal issue. I’ve done it, but DT says that the seal isn’t as tight as it should be.

In AZ it hasn’t been a problem, but YMMV.

As far as noise goes, 18t ring gears are very quiet when properly maintained, and 54t ring gears are pretty damn loud if you go very light on the grease.

I work at a shop, so I keep mine very lightly greased, and clean it frequently. It’s incredibly easy to maintain, so it’s no big deal to do it monthly.
noodle soup Good to know. I was wondering about that because the "soundchecks" online seem to have DT Swiss star ratchets screaming. I am thinking of doing a 36 or 52 upgrade in the future. What is your experience with them? Is it worthwhile? Noticeable improvement? Is there any pro/con to 36 vs 52? From my understanding, people opt for 36 over 52 mostly because it's easier to maintain and is harder wearing?

Also how do you feel about the generic/OEM kits on ebay that sell for half as much? Normally I'd be wary of stuff like that but it is literally just two metal rings that for some reason DT Swiss decided to sell for $110.
Old 07-20-20, 04:13 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
I'd take it apart and clean, relube it. Converting it to a 36/54t ratchet with 240 freehub will cost $350-$400, about $150 of which is the two special tools needed. No need to go there if you're happy with the hub otherwise, it's likely all it needs is a cleaning and perhaps a new seal.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 07-20-20, 07:14 PM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts

if these are the 42mm deep wheels, they use the pawl style DT Swiss 370 driver. https://www.giantbikespares.com/Gian...detail/3-43290

Before you do that, take your wheel off and pull the cassette straight off. It'll pull the freehub off with it. See if anything looks wrong inside. Grinding noises arent common.
Old 07-20-20, 08:08 PM
rower2cyclist

Do you have a 360 or a 370 hub?

I’m seeing now that the conversion isn’t recommended for 360 hubs because the seal is different.

Originally Posted by jfranci3
if these are the 42mm deep wheels, they use the pawl style DT Swiss 370 driver. https://www.giantbikespares.com/Gian...detail/3-43290

Before you do that, take your wheel off and pull the cassette straight off. It'll pull the freehub off with it. See if anything looks wrong inside. Grinding noises arent common.
Thanks for sending this. Love this website btw. Yes, it’s a 3 pawl style free hub. And no idea why Giant doesn’t sell these parts on its own website. 🤔
Old 07-20-20, 09:53 PM
jnesss

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I changed my ratchets from 18t to 54t. new ratchets sounded like a swarm of angry bees. I took it apart, regreased, and it was quiet for a few weeks. now the angry bees are back 😂.

btw, my revolt hub was defective, something popped during a casual ride. it made a ticking sound with every complete revolution. giant swapped my wheel for me. take it back to giant.
Old 07-21-20, 07:14 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by mattscq
noodle soup Good to know. I was wondering about that because the "soundchecks" online seem to have DT Swiss star ratchets screaming. I am thinking of doing a 36 or 52 upgrade in the future. What is your experience with them? Is it worthwhile? Noticeable improvement? Is there any pro/con to 36 vs 52? From my understanding, people opt for 36 over 52 mostly because it's easier to maintain and is harder wearing?

Also how do you feel about the generic/OEM kits on ebay that sell for half as much? Normally I'd be wary of stuff like that but it is literally just two metal rings that for some reason DT Swiss decided to sell for $110.
For road use, there isn't really any improvement with higher engagement (might help if you trackstand?), just more noise. 54t is too loud for my taste, 36t is a good balance if you like some freehub noise. Personally, I like how quiet the stock 18t is.
Old 07-21-20, 10:01 AM
SurferCyclist

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 Di2, Cannondale CaaD 8, Diamondback MTB(ancient)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 22 Posts
I have DT Swiss wheels and hub with the 240 hub and it is loud and I think designed to be. However the other day it seemed to be louder than usual so I just took it apart, cleaned it up the ratchets etc and reapplied grease. Much quieter.
Some people like a really loud freehub but if the noise gradually increases then it pretty obviously needs servicing. Note no special tools required and I didn't use the "special" DT Swiss red grease, just some teflon stuff and it works fine. It's a bicycle not an F1 car....
Old 07-21-20, 12:46 PM
rower2cyclist

Is it possible to convert a Shimano FH-RS-505 QR hub into 12x142mm thru axle? I have a rear wheel that I pruchased a while back to use as a trainer wheel but now I'm think using it as a spare wheel. any thoughts?
Old 07-21-20, 12:50 PM
noodle soup

Is it possible to convert a Shimano FH-RS-505 QR hub into 12x142mm thru axle?
no
Old 07-21-20, 12:52 PM
rower2cyclist

no
Thank you!
Likes For rower2cyclist: