Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Lezyne - Lights confusion

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Lezyne - Lights confusion

Old 08-07-20, 12:14 PM

Bikes: Cinelli SC 1971, Daccordi 1985

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Lezyne Lights - Confusion

I am planing to get new lights and I am especially looking at Lezynes product range. My usage is road bike training and some commuting. I would like lights that are relatively bright, sleek/elegant and easy to use.

Lezynes full product range:
https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/led-lights

Lezynes new Smart Connect series looks very interesting.
https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/smart-connect-led
Especially this Connect Smart Pair:
https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/...ect-smart-pair

Or is Lite Drive 1000XL / Strip Pro Pair (Remote switch compatible) a better choice?
https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/...1-led-16p-v504
Or is 1000 lumen a bit much in urban areas? Then this pair might do:
Micro Drive Pro 800XL / Strip Pair (Remote switch compatible)
https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/...1-led-25p-v204
Or get a Zecto Drive Max Rear. Handy to attach to a saddle bag.
https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/...ed-8r-max-v104
Or Micro Drive 600xl / Zecto Auto Pair might be enough:
https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/...1-led-2p-v1104

And then it's this pair:
Connect Drive Pro 1000xl / Strip Connect Pair
https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/...p-connect-pair

So many combinations. Total confusion.

Last edited by 1987; 08-07-20 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-08-20, 12:45 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I recently bought a Lezyne 1000 light. It's pretty bright and has a good range on a dark road. I bought the 1000 for two main reasons, #1 was that I wanted a beam that shone a fair distance down a dark country road (I like to see skunks well before I get to them so I don't startle them) and #2 I can run the light a lot longer on a lower setting. I find the middle setting very good for urban lighting and lighting urban road surfaces. The lowest setting is still excellent for a " Be seen" light.

Cheers
Old 08-08-20, 12:47 AM
polyphrast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 1987
I am planing to get new lights and I am especially looking at Lezynes product range. My usage is road bike training and some commuting. I would like lights that are relatively bright, sleek/elegant and easy to use.[...]
if you want to do a lot of commuting and you do not drive on empty roads at night, get a light with a cutoff. None of those you mentioned do have a cutoff. Lezyne has the "StVZO" Category, the Power 115 is a solid light, albeit a tad narrow for my liking. The Power HB500 has integrated high beam. You could consider as well the cateye GVolt 70 or the B&M Ixon Space (order it in europe...) for your purposes. There is also a pretty solid chinese light with cutoff: Lumintop B01 (Aliexpress of banggood). If you want to spend a bit more, take a look at outbound lighting. If the sky is the limit (moneywise) --> Lupine SL/SLF/SLX or Supernova M99 Mini series, e.g. Mini Pro B54
Likes For polyphrast:
Old 08-09-20, 09:52 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
The "smart" lights seem kind of nifty -- but really, they address an almost non-existent need. That might be a case where simpler is better.
Old 08-10-20, 11:04 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7342 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
The "smart" lights seem kind of nifty -- but really, they address an almost non-existent need. That might be a case where simpler is better.
Agreed. A lot of "smart" gadgets are nice, and the enhancements help. But somethings don't need to be smarter. Imagine a bluetooth chef's knife. I can't, either.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-10-20, 11:38 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by noglider
Imagine a bluetooth chef's knife. I can't, either.
I hope your example is imaginary; if that's a real thing, well, knock me over with a feather.

I do like my Nest thermostat, though.
Old 08-10-20, 11:40 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I hope your example is imaginary; if that's a real thing, well, knock me over with a feather.

I do like my Nest thermostat, though.
Sure, the Nest thermostat is very cool and extremely useful.

No, I made up the bluetooth knife as an example of the kinds of things coming out these days.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 08-10-20, 12:18 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by noglider
Sure, the Nest thermostat is very cool and extremely useful.

No, I made up the bluetooth knife as an example of the kinds of things coming out these days.
Okay, glad to hear it.

But if you mock my bluetooth-equipped Di2 bike, we're gonna have to disagree. It actually is pretty cool, and not very expensive.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-10-20, 01:38 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I borrowed my sister-in-law's Di2 bike. I liked it. It is definitely an improvement. I just can't afford that stuff yet. Maybe one day it will be the norm.

Likes For noglider:
Old 08-10-20, 08:54 PM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
Can you remove the strap from the newer Lezyne Drive lights? I want to add their GoPro mount to it, but it's not clear to me if that mount is only for their older lights.
Old 08-11-20, 12:03 AM
polyphrast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by pennpaul
Can you remove the strap from the newer Lezyne Drive lights? I want to add their GoPro mount to it, but it's not clear to me if that mount is only for their older lights.
You can, if the light uses either this or that mount. Both a fixed with a screw to the body of the light and can be removed and replaced by either the GoPro Mount or the more solid "click into" handle bar mount. The GoPro mount is not suitable for lights with either this or that type of mount
Old 08-11-20, 02:49 AM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by polyphrast
if you want to do a lot of commuting and you do not drive on empty roads at night, get a light with a cutoff. None of those you mentioned do have a cutoff. Lezyne has the "StVZO" Category, the Power 115 is a solid light, albeit a tad narrow for my liking. The Power HB500 has integrated high beam. You could consider as well the cateye GVolt 70 or the B&M Ixon Space (order it in europe...) for your purposes. There is also a pretty solid chinese light with cutoff: Lumintop B01 (Aliexpress of banggood). If you want to spend a bit more, take a look at outbound lighting. If the sky is the limit (moneywise) --> Lupine SL/SLF/SLX or Supernova M99 Mini series, e.g. Mini Pro B54
Thanks for your post about more models, some where new to me. And yes StVZO are nice in an urban environment, which makes the number of choices even higher.
Old 08-11-20, 02:58 AM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I think that your conclusion has some weight to it, but that your argument is missing the mark. The problem is that a lot of tech is short lived today. Most smart devices relies on an eco-system and when one link breaks the whole chain goes. In the old non-connected/analog days that was not the case. So when Lezyne's app no longer is updated and later removed from the app store, the lights will be regarded as obsolete.
Likes For 1987:
Old 08-11-20, 06:07 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by 1987
I think that your conclusion has some weight to it, but that your argument is missing the mark. The problem is that a lot of tech is short lived today. Most smart devices relies on an eco-system and when one link breaks the whole chain goes. In the old non-connected/analog days that was not the case. So when Lezyne's app no longer is updated and later removed from the app store, the lights will be regarded as obsolete.
I agree with your point. But I actually just mean that I can press some buttons on my bike lights on my own, and don't need the integration that the smart lights offer - whether it works or not.
Likes For Koyote: