Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Early morning riders

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Early morning riders

Old 08-13-20, 11:25 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Early morning riders

I don't like the heat and have figured out that early is the only time of day tolerable for me to be outside. What do you morning people eat before a ride? I have been having food issues (I don't eat enough) and need ideas for how to fuel my body so I can get out and ride. I'm not trying to lose weight so not concerned about calories or fat.
Old 08-13-20, 11:35 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
I don't like the heat and have figured out that early is the only time of day tolerable for me to be outside. What do you morning people eat before a ride? I have been having food issues (I don't eat enough) and need ideas for how to fuel my body so I can get out and ride. I'm not trying to lose weight so not concerned about calories or fat.
Oatmeal with cinnamon, sugar and raisins. Also coffee and some orange juice.

Otto
Old 08-13-20, 11:37 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
My early morning rides are generally on the shorter side....15-25 miles. Sometimes I will eat oatmeal. This morning I ate a banana and had some beet juice. So, basically, not much.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 08-13-20, 11:41 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Carbs are your friend. Fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, granola bars, etc are good breakfast staples that should give you good, usable carbs soon after eating. You can also get into gels and drink mixes if you're pushing for more performance.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 08-13-20, 11:44 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
I pretty much have to have something in my stomach before riding hard in the morning. Steel cut oats cooked in a crockpot the night before and warmed up works. If you're riding at a pace you can sustain for hours, go crazy -- eggs, pancakes, coffee, and juice. That'll keep me going for about 40 miles, by which time it's heating up.

The everything bagel with half a brick of cream cheese, though, is best saved for after the ride.
Old 08-13-20, 11:46 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Depends on the ride. If it's a mellow ride of an hour or less, then just coffee. If I'm going to be doing work, I'll usually eat a few eggs.
Old 08-13-20, 12:00 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
Anything under 90 minutes, nothing but coffee. Longer rides, yogurt and walnuts, and some fresh or dried fruit stirred in, if available. That will keep me going up to 3 1/2 hours.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-13-20, 12:15 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts

Just how early is "EARLY MORNING?"

After 90 minutes (or less) of a quick nap I will head out 10pm, 11pm, 12:01am, 1am -- basically whenever -- on nothing eaten because of dinner 5 hours earlier or after midnight I might have 1/2 banana with almond and peanut butter, maybe coffee, Medjool dates with pb, slice of N.Y. Style Cheesecake, M&M's all depends on distance (at least 50 miles) and effort I plan on riding. When weather was cool and feeling OK (before my Prostate Cancer dx in 2015) I would begin a Midnight Madness Over-nighter 100 miler having 1 OR no stops with a gel before leaving and then my stores as I rode. For my 70th Birthday Ride of 141 miles that I began around 9:45pm on July10, dinner was only 4 hours earlier so no eats but within 20 miles I had a banana and gel then ate, drank, had 2 stops with kit change and eats.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 08-13-20, 12:22 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Morning breakfast is a power shake. One banana (frozen), 1/2 of an avocado, scoop of protein powder, soy or almond milk. I supplement this with one piece of whole wheat toast and local honey.
Old 08-13-20, 01:15 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Coffee and Costco Aussie Bites. Be careful, they are addicting.
Old 08-13-20, 01:27 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,435 Times in 985 Posts
I like going out first thing in the morning when the traffic (vehicles and other bicycles) is light, typically starting anywhere from 4AM-7AM; maybe an occasional 8AM start, but that's 'late' for me. Typically 15-25 miles. Food intake is nothing more than a big glass of water. Don't believe what the food industry tells you, the need for eating immediately before a ride is BS as almost all foods take some time to digest and won't be available for use as a fuel in your cells for a few hours. Just eat a normal diet, maybe add a few calories if you're loosing weight and don't have any other health problems, and you should be good.

Longer, all-day and multi-day rides are different, but still focus on eating some snacks along the way and eating the calories I'll need for the next day.
Old 08-13-20, 01:32 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
2 eggs, 2 mini muffins and some tea. i bring a banana and 2 gels for the ride.

Out at sunrise and get between 30-40 miles in before it gets hot.
Old 08-13-20, 01:39 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
My daily commute is 2 x 25 mi. and I'm out of the house by 8:30. It has been getting hotter here in Nor Cal, but not too bad yet here by the coast. Every day I ride I also make a smoothie: 1 banana, frozen berries and frozen pineapple with almond milk. I will sometimes toast up some homemade bread and drizzle it with olive oil. I always have a Nespresso as well. I've done the ride on just coffee and been fine.
Old 08-13-20, 01:43 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
I find food to be mostly unnecessary in the morning. I do my workouts indoors on the trainer each morning and usually just have a coffee, mainly as a way to mentally wake up and not really as a pre-requisite to workout. Our bodies carry about 1,400-2,000 calories of glycogen, and given the fat burning that occurs at lower intensities, the need to fuel shorter rides is overrated. A lot of my workouts are in the 1200-1400 calories range of work done, I just eat throughout the day and don't feel the need to eat in the morning, especially if the stuff I eat in the morning isn't going to actually be used to fuel the workout.
Old 08-13-20, 01:45 PM
bocobiking
bocobiking

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1974 Raleigh Super Course, 1984 Columbine, 1979 Richard Sachs, 2003 Serotta Legend Ti, 2005 Serotta Concours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts
A homemade waffle, sugar free syrup, banana, and coffee 1 1/2 hours before I leave--every day.
Old 08-13-20, 01:53 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
I like going out first thing in the morning when the traffic (vehicles and other bicycles) is light, typically starting anywhere from 4AM-7AM; maybe an occasional 8AM start, but that's 'late' for me. Typically 15-25 miles. Food intake is nothing more than a big glass of water. Don't believe what the food industry tells you, the need for eating immediately before a ride is BS as almost all foods take some time to digest and won't be available for use as a fuel in your cells for a few hours. Just eat a normal diet, maybe add a few calories if you're loosing weight and don't have any other health problems, and you should be good.

Longer, all-day and multi-day rides are different, but still focus on eating some snacks along the way and eating the calories I'll need for the next day.
agree. plus you can eat a late night snack of anything you want, then in the morning, get up and hit it on nothing. then eat after
Old 08-13-20, 02:12 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
As mentioned above, yogurt with some granola, blue berries and some nuts. Contains carbs, some fat and some fiber. On fruit, all sorts of dried fruit works well with granola.
Old 08-13-20, 02:14 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
I'm not doing well in the heat this year. I wish I could get out early but it's too much like going to work Interested to see what works if I'm ever able to get out with the sunrise.
Old 08-13-20, 02:22 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Right now its nasty for me too so I ride early as well. I will either eat a couple of waffles or oatmeal or some granola. But when I get back I hit the coffee and some eggs.

Now if I am not riding more than 60 minutes or so, or not a great hard effort I will just grab some simple snacks and go but if I know I am going longer I have to eat and carry stuff or I suffer badly.
Old 08-13-20, 02:39 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I'm not much of a morning person and usually ride in the hottest part of the afternoon, but take it easier. Heat adaptation from riding at 100+F makes rides in the 80s and 90s feel cool.

I don't eat much before a ride but feel better when I do. It's better to give it an hour or two to digest. I usually eat a full meal a couple of hours before my afternoon/early evening rides.

Occasionally I do fasting rides of 60-90 minutes and take it very easy -- just water, sometimes with electrolytes. Very important to pay attention to the body's warning signs during fasted rides. If you want to try this do it on an indoor trainer first. Adaptation can take awhile, regardless of body fat, so take it easy at first.

If I plan to ride immediately after eating I'll eat a little oatmeal, sometimes adding an egg for a custard texture. Or a banana and a little yogurt. Or a homebrewed protein shake, or Fairlife lactose free chocolate milk, or A2 milk while I can digest fine. Otherwise too much dairy causes me digestion problems.

I usually carry a Clif bar or Larabar and a couple of Clif gels in case I feel bonky on longer rides. Sometimes I'll nibble one after an hour or two, sometimes not. I just go by how I feel. But I don't ignore the early bonk warnings. If I stay in zone 1/2, I usually won't need to eat anything. But even a single sprint or spirited hill climb that pushes me into zone 3/4 can disrupt that and require refueling.
Old 08-13-20, 02:47 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
If you know how long & about how much effort you plan to put in during the ride, eat sensible the day before at dinner & enjoy a mornings coffee the day of the ride. Take plenty of water & maybe some dried fruit, if your pushing hard.

nothing sucks more than blowing chunks mid ride after a breakfast meal... or the urge to duce duce after working up the cadence. Some people can gnaw on slimsjims & cheese right before a ride & be fine. Others cannot keep down a banana. Sometimes I just have water before riding & bring along a sports drink.
Old 08-13-20, 03:20 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Like others have said, it depends on how long and hard you are going to ride and how much time you have to eat/digest before you start riding. For me, on weekend rides I will have a glass of water when I get up (before my coffee), then have coffee and oatmeal (with a banana). I typically finish eating 30-45 minutes before I ride. Then I have a 7.5 mile easy ride to where I meet my group. With this regimen I'm usually good for 60-65 miles. If I do a short 60-90 minute ride on a weekday morning, I have coffee, and sometimes eat a couple of handfuls of Cheerios or similar, sometimes not, depending how I feel.
Old 08-13-20, 03:32 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,026 Times in 1,426 Posts
I don't eat before any of my morning rides. I usually leave around 6 AM and ride for 90-120 minutes. If I ride more than 35 miles or so, I'll stop and grab an energy bar or something similar.
Old 08-13-20, 04:05 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
I'm a morning rider and don't eat much nor need much. Cereal and coffee for the most. Water too. Then during a ride pop in a gel pack.
Old 08-13-20, 04:13 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I gotta have food. A bowl of Cheerios with fruit, 1 or 2 eggs with toast and juice, usually apple/berry blend. I also have 3 cups of coffee. I sometimes get a snack mid-ride, depending on miles. I am also a big water drinker, about a quart per hour when it is warm. I like to get on the road by 6 am. and back home by 9 am.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.