Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Nikor Brand Steelframes What? When? Who?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-10, 09:18 AM
no*dice
best friends

Bikes: Albuch Kotter Scapin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I like to know if someone could ad up some information about the brand "nikor" ? The searchmaschine just give me out photo equipment.

I appreciate

Jens
Old 10-07-14, 02:43 AM
csehe02

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

I am searching for any info about Nikor frames too. I just bought a spiral fluted Nikor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN1745.jpg (67.3 KB, 380 views)
DSCN1752.jpg (88.6 KB, 397 views)
DSCN1757.jpg (41.3 KB, 377 views)
Old 10-07-14, 03:53 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Spacing? Tubing sticker? BB dimensions? Lug detail photos? braze-on photos? Under BB? what rear dropouts? What seat post diameter? Headset dimensions and threading? Tubing diameters? ST and TT lengths?

Just based on geo and "the look," I'd just guess Germany or Italy, mid-70s to late-80s.
Old 10-07-14, 04:46 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Nikor-Aufbauthread | Rennrad-News.de
Likes For bikemig:
Old 10-07-14, 06:08 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,376 Times in 891 Posts
Looks like a Bilatto build frame. Small Italian flag on TT probably rules out Germany
Old 10-07-14, 09:22 AM
csehe02

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
Looks like a Bilatto build frame. Small Italian flag on TT probably rules out Germany
As far as I know, Concorde/Ciöcc and Battaglin had this kind of braze-on flags on the toptubes
Old 10-07-14, 01:03 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Are the words "hand made" stamped into the brake bridge?
Old 10-11-14, 12:36 AM
csehe02

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
Are the words "hand made" stamped into the brake bridge?
There is a cycling figure on the brake bridge.
The bottom bracket shell has some factory markings: C-69-1
Gipiemme dropouts, Columbus bird on the fork.
Frame is 1888gr(size c-c57), the fork is 658
Attached Images
IMG_7835.jpg (50.3 KB, 360 views)
IMG_7836.jpg (54.0 KB, 359 views)
IMG_7838.jpg (56.0 KB, 357 views)
IMG_7839.JPG (93.5 KB, 355 views)
IMG_7840.JPG (97.9 KB, 355 views)
IMG_7841.jpg (54.0 KB, 358 views)
IMG_7843.jpg (51.6 KB, 357 views)
IMG_7845.jpg (53.7 KB, 354 views)
IMG_7847.jpg (43.6 KB, 356 views)
IMG_7848.jpg (44.1 KB, 357 views)
Old 10-11-14, 12:45 AM
csehe02

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Spacing? Tubing sticker? BB dimensions? Lug detail photos? braze-on photos? Under BB? what rear dropouts? What seat post diameter? Headset dimensions and threading? Tubing diameters? ST and TT lengths?

Just based on geo and "the look," I'd just guess Germany or Italy, mid-70s to late-80s.
measured spacing is 129mm, no stickers, BB italian, Gipiemme drop-outs, seatpost 27,2mm, italian fork with Columbus engravings, st: c-c57. tt:c-c56
Old 10-11-14, 06:36 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

+1 on a TSD frame. Good stuff. Tubing might be a Cromor variation.
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 10-13-14, 11:10 AM
csehe02

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your help!
Old 06-05-20, 08:15 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 2,782 Times in 531 Posts
Thread dredge.

I've just purchased a Nikor frame in Columbus Max tubing with Campagnolo drop outs. I think its from the late 80's or early 90's, but googling hardly brings up anything on the brand, this thread is pretty much all there is, so I'm guessing they were a small outfit who maybe were not around for very long.

I'm just interested in any more info about them. They appear to be Italian, but any idea where in Italy they were based? Did they make their own frames or were they built up by another builder and re-badged? Were they associated with a local bike shop or club or ever raced by any amateur or pro teams?

I'd be grateful for any info about them or to hear from any more Nikor owners out there. I've not got the frame yet but here is a picture from the sellers listing.
Old 06-23-20, 09:38 AM
botty kayer

Well I have the frame, and its even better in the metal. Campagnolo dropouts and the only marking on it I can find are on the BB shell which is marked with a '61' which is the frame size so guess that's that, and they were made in low numbers. The paint has a few chips but is very cool, it has a chameleon effect of appearing two different colours. Looked at from above, the riding position, its dark, deep blue, but as soon as get past a certain angle it all looks purple. I love it but cannot capture it in photos properly yet.

Also as an update I've got some info clarifying something that was said further up this thread. As I can find virtually nothing online about Nikor, this thread features on the front page of a google search for Nikor. It was the first mention of them I found when googling myself.

Having not found out anything more about Nikor, I followed up thinktubes mention above, that the bike could possibly be a Billato built frame. So I emailed Billato, sending them some pics of the bike, to ask if Nikor was a brand made by them.

I got a really speedy reply from Roberto Billato thanking me for my making contact. He explained Billato built bikes for many large and small bike companies, and he was familiar with my exact frame, but not because they built it, which he confirmed they did not.

Roberto said he had seen the bike before because he was sent pictures of it in the past, by the previous owner, who had obviously done a google search for Nikor, found this thread, mused that thinktubes was correct, and contacted Billato, exactly like I did, hoping for any more information.

So I am just putting the record straight, no offence to thinktubes they surely had no idea a bike forum comment made years ago, would act as a signal for any new Nikor owners to contact Billato asking about Nikor for years to come, but there's so little info about Nikor that this thread stays on the front page of google Nikor searches years later.

Therefore I am compelled to update this thread so that any current or future Nikor frame owners, know that Billato DID NOT make Nikor frames, so we can save Roberto Billato from getting any more questions about them

Roberto was however able to give me some information about Nikor, which was more than I knew, and may help uncovering more about them. He said he thought that Nikor frames were made in Padova, and by someone that used to work in another workshop. Cheers Roberto, what a star. I just did a google search for cycling companies in Padova and there is a famous old Italian bike brand from there, Faggin. So I am wondering if the person who made Nikor frames could have previously worked for Faggin.

I am this far along with the detective work, so I might as well follow the next lead and contact Faggin and ask them. I will report back to ensure that this comment does not lead to all future owners contacting Faggin for years to come.

Does anyone know of any other bike companies in or around Padova, or have any thoughts on my Faggin hunch?

Last edited by botty kayer; 06-23-20 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-23-20, 10:45 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
Originally Posted by botty kayer
Thread dredge.

I've just purchased a Nikor frame in Columbus Max tubing with Campagnolo drop outs. I think its from the late 80's or early 90's, but googling hardly brings up anything on the brand, this thread is pretty much all there is, so I'm guessing they were a small outfit who maybe were not around for very long.

I'm just interested in any more info about them. They appear to be Italian, but any idea where in Italy they were based? Did they make their own frames or were they built up by another builder and re-badged? Were they associated with a local bike shop or club or ever raced by any amateur or pro teams?

I'd be grateful for any info about them or to hear from any more Nikor owners out there. I've not got the frame yet but here is a picture from the sellers listing.
well all i know is it sure looks like a nice frame what will the build be?

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-23-20, 11:04 AM
botty kayer

Thanks, yes I'm very pleased with it and can't wait to get it on the road.

I'm still looking for some 10 speed silver levered Centaur or Chorus shifters, but they seem to have sky rocketed in price since I last bought some on eBay. I also plan to get some shiny silver rims for it but funds for that are going to have to wait a month, I am thinking of a Pacenti Brevet rims laced to silver Chorus hubs, I think the big Max tubes will look good with 28's and I live in London and the roads are dreadful, steel can only do so much. For now I have some old style black Shamals which will be fitted with some of new gumwall Veloflex Corsa Evo's in 28c,, which arrived today.

The rest of it will be shiny silver, Chorus crankset, brakes, derailleurs, silver Record Headset, Cinelli bar and stem, the last of the metal Chorus seatposts (non aero), and a Concor or Flite saddle.

With the funky paint I'm having all sorts of crazy ideas about Supcaz oil slick bar tape and getting a saddle and pedals vinyl wrapped in the same colour changing finish, but that's probably crazy talk, and I'll likely chicken out and go for white or black
Old 07-06-20, 02:17 PM
Synorga

Bikes: Gazelle appx 1970, Nikor Steel 1985, Mongoose 1993, No Name MTB 2000, Centurion 2008, 2Danger San Remo Shimano 2010, Bianchi Via Nerone Campa 2015, Canyon Neuron SRAM NX 2018, CBT Italia Campa Centaur 2020...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Same Bike

Got the same frame, with a Shimano 600 Tricolor...
Likes For Synorga:
Old 07-07-20, 09:46 AM
botty kayer

Originally Posted by Synorga
Got the same frame, with a Shimano 600 Tricolor...
My bike has a long lost brother!

Hello and pleased to meet you fellow Nikor owner. Where in the world do you and your bike live?

How long have you had it? Did you get it new or second hand, and if new where did you buy it?

And if you have any info about the brand I'd love to hear more. And of course I'd love to see pics of your bike too, but I don't think you can post pictures until you've made 10 posts. Or you could post a link to a photo site if you've got any pics of it online.

I am just waiting for a few more parts to arrive and mine will hopefully finally be built up in the next week or two.
Old 07-16-20, 02:54 AM
Synorga

Bikes: Gazelle appx 1970, Nikor Steel 1985, Mongoose 1993, No Name MTB 2000, Centurion 2008, 2Danger San Remo Shimano 2010, Bianchi Via Nerone Campa 2015, Canyon Neuron SRAM NX 2018, CBT Italia Campa Centaur 2020...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi, I live in Germany and got it give by a colleague who had it sitting in his basement and was planning to throw it to the bin.
thought it would be a shame as I wanted an old steel bike anyway. Put in some elbow grease and did an easy overhaul (mainly regreasing and polishing)
you can see a pic of the frame in my Insta Account (synorga).
I have absolutely no info on the brand. Would love to know more as well. And even just if it was something you bought of a mail order shop or in a real LBS or if it was built on purpose... etc.
It has currently a Shimano 600 Tricolor + some 105 set up. The Hoods are white and I can't find proper replacements.
Replaced the Black Saddle with a blue new one, but might look for a Turbo in White.
Lets see if I can go on a retro trip soon.
Old 07-16-20, 05:13 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked 1,895 Times in 930 Posts
From the look of the few that can be found on the internet, they were quality frames, bit like Berma.

I wonder if MauriceMoss has any insights?
Old 08-21-20, 05:44 AM
botty kayer

OK here is my Nikor, 99% finished. I am just waiting for a black Cinelli Volare to match the Cinelli bar an stem, but it is otherwise done and I couldn't wait to get out and ride it. It has a 10 speed Campagnolo drive train and had its first voyage on some old style black Shamal's which looked great....

...but they were just a placeholder, as I wanted some silver wheels. These are the everyday wheels, some 28h Ambrosio hubs laced to wide polished silver TB14 rims with the new 28c Veloflex Corsa Evo tyres.

The fat look of the Columbus Max tubing looks great with the wide silver rims, and that combination with the wide tyres is perfect for London's cratered roads. It is an amazingly comfortable ride and fast ride without feeling balloony or bouncy. And Columbus Max forks are my favourite steel forks of any I have ridden.

The paint is more amazing than I have managed to capture in the pics, looked at from above it is a deep blue, but looked at from the side and in the sunshine its a deep purple, which I think looks fantastic. Overall I'm delighted with the looks and the ride.

I'm hoping the saddle arrives tomorrow, and the 50-60 mph winds we have currently here in the UK go away, so I can put some proper miles on it over the weekend.
Likes For botty kayer:
Old 08-21-20, 06:17 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,587 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by botty kayer
(...)
Does anyone know of any other bike companies in or around Padova, or have any thoughts on my Faggin hunch?
I'd be looking at BMZ. They did a lot of building for others, and they seem to pop up in Germany quite often.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 05-19-21, 02:53 PM
Ashleynorris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How is your Nikor? I just bought one from eBay picking up in the next couple of days, very excited about this. I feel like I have just joined a very exclusive club ;-)

Did you find anything else out about the brand or the bike?