Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rear Derailleur Noise

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rear Derailleur Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-04, 10:09 AM
ivan_yulaev

Bikes: See sig.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rear Derailleur Noise

Well guys, I recently picked up a new Trek 1000. Now, here's what I noticed. When I am pedaling with my hands (bike is not moving) or moving the chain backwards, it is making a clicking sound which is not the ratchet mechanism. It's kind of hard to describe, but it seems that each click occurs with each link in the chain. This is not the same as chain rattle when the cogs and gears aren't aligned. It is shifting through all gears with no issues. I am not sure if this is normal, my old bike does this, but to a much lesser degree. Otherwise, the chain action seems smooth. Is this normal?

-Ivan
Old 12-08-04, 10:36 AM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have a 1000c, and I hear a little chain noise when I'm on the big chainring. Two things. First, the Sora group will always need a little adjustment. Your manual should tell you how to do this.

Second, the noise does diminish over time, as the parts get broken in.
Old 12-08-04, 10:47 AM
sydney

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrCjolsen
Two things. First, the Sora group will always need a little adjustment.
Really?? Why more than any other? Orherwise good catch on letting things get broken in.Make sure the chain is lubed and ride the sucker.
Old 12-08-04, 11:09 AM
F1_Fan

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It'll depend of derailleur alignment and which gear you're in. Some combinations will result in the chain hitting the lower derailleur pulley at an odd angle which may be noisy.

Do the backwards pedalling test in several gears to see if that is the case here.
Old 12-08-04, 11:46 AM
my58vw
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get noise in certain rings in the back with my Ultegrea setup... usually a slight deraileur adjustment needing to be done... cable stretch...

Otherwise no problems... have heard of issues with SORA though needing to be adjusted more...
Old 12-08-04, 07:09 PM
ifixfeet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have also noticed noise on my ultegra trek 5200. Only in the smaller two chainrings not the big one, do you think this is the same problem?, derailer adjustment
Old 12-08-04, 11:21 PM
jomalley
Weakling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd see if it's just normal stuff happening during the break-in period.
Maybe your LBS give free first tune-ups once it settles?
Old 12-09-04, 01:12 AM
Avalanche325

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze / GT Avalanche

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If the "B" screw adjustment is off, the top pully can be contacting the cogs.
Old 03-15-15, 03:31 PM
neondave

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ivan_yulaev
. Now, here's what I noticed. When I am pedaling with my hands (bike is not moving) or moving the chain backwards, it is making a clicking sound which is not the ratchet mechanism. It's kind of hard to describe, but it seems that each click occurs with each link in the chain. This is not the same as chain rattle when the cogs and gears aren't aligned. It is shifting through all gears with no issues. I am not sure if this is normal, my old bike does this, but to a much lesser degree. Otherwise, the chain action seems smooth. Is this normal?

-Ivan
A very old post I see, but I am having same issues . ( old Moto B , with Suntour V GT Lux ). My hearing is bad, but when riding today, I can feel the vibration resonating in my head , up through the saddle I guess . I recently totally de-greased and lightly lubed the chain and wiped dirt off the rear derailleur . It shifts well and works great otherwise . It 'seems' to be coming from the idler pulleys. I can hear it when off the bike, back pedaling. It is a bit annoying

When I was at my local bike shop, I took my chain in after cleaning and they said there is 75% life left . I believe it is orig. , has France stamped on it. Thanks , Dave
Old 03-15-15, 04:05 PM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need to adjust the rear derailleur tension a tiny bit.

The sound you are reffering to is typically what it sounds like when the chain is not falling perfectly onto the upper pulley. When that happens it rides on the top of the pulley for maybe 1/16th of a turn then it "drops" onto the pulley. The sound you are hearing is most likely the dropping.