Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

NZ politician cycles to hospital to give birth

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

NZ politician cycles to hospital to give birth

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-18, 08:28 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
The pregnant woman in this case "pedaled" an ebike to the hospital and the question remains how did she plan and/or actually bring the newborn home.
I'm sorry, the "question" doesn't remain. They are home.

Originally Posted by salcedo
btw there is plenty of research on the effects of vibrations during transport on newborns. The research mostly focuses on ambulances. Just go to google scholar and check it out.
There is some research on inter-hospital transport of neonates, with the risk of brain injury highest in extremely low birth weight neonates. Current practice is the incubator is coupled to a trolley which is rigidly clamped to the ambulance floor.

BTW, her child weighed 4.3 Kg at birth.

-mr. bill
Old 08-31-18, 08:40 AM
salcedo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Trek CrossRip

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
There is some research on inter-hospital transport of neonates, with the risk of brain injury highest in extremely low birth weight neonates. Current practice is the incubator is coupled to a trolley which is rigidly clamped to the ambulance floor.
And there is also research on the degree of vibration from different means of transport. So one could extrapolate.

But you conveniently keep avoiding my question. I did not see them riding a bakfiet with a carseat, and I also did not see them riding a recumbent bike to the hospital In case she decided to ride back home with a teared vagina or abdominal surgery. So I don't think they were planing to ride back home. Which reinforces my theory that they did it for publicity and not for convenience.

Do you really think they were planing to ride back home?
Old 10-16-18, 05:10 AM
mr_bill

Adorable! (Even the googly eyes.)

-mr. bill
Old 10-19-18, 09:12 AM
salcedo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Adorable! (Even the googly eyes.)

Adorable!

-mr. bill
Yeah, pretty adorable. Also, turns out I was right "Six weeks after we cycled to the hospital! Perfect day for our first little family cycling outing on another gorgeous Sunday."

They never planned to ride back from the hospital, because that would be silly. And then they had someone else drive to the hospital to drive them and the bikes back home. I am sympathetic to her cause, I think cycling advocacy is fantastic, but this was a publicity stunt. Riding to labor is not practical.
Old 10-19-18, 11:54 AM
mr_bill

[T]his was a publicity stunt. Riding to labor is not practical.
Quoting myself:

The usual cynics see someone on a publicity stunt.

I see someone who talks the talk and walks the walk, er, pedals the pedal.

Their infant either already has or soon will ride in a cargo bike. Unless you are BEYOND cynical and think that the infant seat in the Nihola is also a publicity stunt.

-mr. bill
Quoting Julie Anne Genter:

Originally Posted by “Julie Anne Genter”
[We chose] taking the least invasive path of inducement, until finally labour kicked in more than 2 days after our bike ride to the hospital.
Gee. Imagine that. Different people make different choices. Especially when they consult their own doctor, their own family, and their own friends.

I wonder why they didn’t consult cynics on the internut?

BTW, did you know that they didn’t much care how I got to my recent ambulatory surgery, but very much cared how I got home? (Helpful hint. The way I got there was completely practical. The way I got home was completely practical. I never planned to get home the way I got to the hospital.)

I have not and will not tell you how your should get to, or how you should have gotten to hospital.

Or tell you how to get home, or how you should have gotten home.

Or tell you when you should or should not put your child on a bike.

Whatever decisions YOUR family makes are not a publicity stunt.

But whatever decisions HER family makes are?

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 10-19-18 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-19-18, 01:23 PM
salcedo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quoting myself:

Quoting Julie Anne Genter:

Gee. Imagine that. Different people make different choices. Especially when they consult their own doctor, their own family, and their own friends.

I wonder why they didn’t consult cynics on the internut?

BTW, did you know that they didn’t much care how I got to my recent ambulatory surgery, but very much cared how I got home? (Helpful hint. The way I got there was completely practical. The way I got home was completely practical. I never planned to get home the way I got to the hospital.)

I have not and will not tell you how your should get to, or how you should have gotten to hospital.

Or tell you how to get home, or how you should have gotten home.

Or tell you when you should or should not put your child on a bike.

Whatever decisions YOUR family makes are not a publicity stunt.

But whatever decisions HER family makes are?

-mr. bill

lol just admit that I’m right

they rode to the hospital, but not back, because it was for publicity

what you do is not a policy stunt, because you are not a politician, nobody cares how you get around
Old 12-11-18, 12:24 PM
mr_bill

Back at work....

Originally Posted by "Julie Anne Genter'
I wasn't meant to go to hospital. I was aiming for a home birth, and the baby was late, went over 42 weeks.

And eventually we had to go to the hospital to be induced, and as we were heading down, I just, it was a beautiful day and I was a bit bummed about going to the hospital.

And I said you know, "I want to ride my bike!" Peter said "That's OK I'll ride with you."

Uh, we only had a car that seats four people and there were five of us, so it actually logistically worked out pretty well. My brother and sister-and-law biked back, rode our bikes back for us and we went in the car with our baby back.
-mr. bill
Old 12-13-18, 09:21 AM
salcedo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There are no cars that only seat 4 people. And they needed an extra car and trip to take the bikes back home. You keep believing politicians when they are campaigning. Maybe she wanted to take a bike ride before labor, and that is fine. But a bicycle was not the most practical way to get to the hospital to deliver a baby for her, and it is not for most people in most cases.

It is a publicity stunt. It is not a bad thing. I don't know why it is so hard for you to admit that a politician who is a vivid cyclist advocate would take any chance she gets to advocate cycling. There is nothing wrong with that. If you really think that it is practical to ride a bike to labour you are a fool.

Edit: or maybe you really think that nobody said "but if you ride there someone will have to bring the bikes back" and she never though "and maybe if we take our bikes we can make an instagram about it and it will get lots of attention"
Old 12-13-18, 04:52 PM
mr_bill

There are no cars that only seat 4 people.
Really? You might want to google that....

And there are lots of “5 passenger” cars that are 5 passenger on paper only, (mine included).

As to the rest of your P&R worthy....

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 12-13-18 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-14-18, 05:19 PM
salcedo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Publicity stubt

Publicity stunt billy, just admit it. You are embarrassing yourself.
Old 12-20-18, 04:13 PM
bikingbill

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 26, Brompton

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Famous Philly Bike Racer, Mary-Jane Reoch, rode her bike to give birth to her child:

At the age of 35, she rode 12 miles (19 km) on her bike to the hospital to give birth to her first daughter, Solange. "I was snickering to myself as I'd passed people, thinking, 'If only they knew,'" she said. After her baby was born, Reoch said she arrived at the hospital with time to spare and that she had a "great time" biking there

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Jane_Reoch

I met her when I was racing in the late 1970's at University.
Old 12-20-18, 05:13 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingbill
Famous Philly Bike Racer, Mary-Jane Reoch, rode her bike to give birth to her child:

At the age of 35, she rode 12 miles (19 km) on her bike to the hospital to give birth to her first daughter, Solange. "I was snickering to myself as I'd passed people, thinking, 'If only they knew,'" she said. After her baby was born, Reoch said she arrived at the hospital with time to spare and that she had a "great time" biking there

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Jane_Reoch

Thanks for the info about Mary_Jane_Reoch. I knew that a Philadelphia cyclist had ridden her bicycle to the hospital for delivery but I couldn't remember her name. I had previously seen her race in the early 70's in a criterium near Chestnut Hill Academy. I also didn't know about her tragic death later in Dallas. She was one of a kind.
Old 12-20-18, 05:47 PM
bikingbill

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 26, Brompton

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for the info about Mary_Jane_Reoch. I knew that a Philadelphia cyclist had ridden her bicycle to the hospital for delivery but I couldn't remember her name. I had previously seen her race in the early 70's in a criterium near Chestnut Hill Academy. I also didn't know about her tragic death later in Dallas. She was one of a kind.
FYI: I was on the PENN Cycling Team ... '75-'79.
Old 12-20-18, 06:03 PM
mr_bill

Thanks for the info about Mary_Jane_Reoch. I knew that a Philadelphia cyclist had ridden her bicycle to the hospital for delivery but I couldn't remember her name.
FYI: I was on the PENN Cycling Team ... '75-'79.
-mr. bill