Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is there slime in my tubeless tires?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-01-20, 07:02 PM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts

I picked up a set of used Shimano Ultegra 6700 tubeless wheels with Maxxis Padrone. This is my first set of tubeless wheels. Probably a silly question, but how do I know if there is sealant already in the tires? Do I have to take the tires off?

Last edited by Jicafold; 01-02-20 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-01-20, 09:10 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Rotate the wheel so the valve stem is at 6 o'clock. Give it a minute or two then let a couple psi out of the tire. If something comes out, it's sealant.

Can't much help you with how much or what brand though.
Old 01-02-20, 11:52 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
If the tire is still holding air, there is probably sealant, but if it has been sitting for a while the sealant might pool in the bottom, or dry out.
Old 01-02-20, 12:00 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Rotate the wheel so the valve stem is at 6 o'clock. Give it a minute or two then let a couple psi out of the tire. If something comes out, it's sealant.
I'm confused: with the valve at 6:00, it would be pointing up and the sealant will drain away from it. This is exactly what I do to make sure that sealant DOESN'T spray out...

If I were to try and check, I would use a long toothpick or something as a dipstick. But, if it is set up tubeless and is holding pressure, my experience says that it has had sealant put in. Out of eight tubeless tires I've worked with, only one has held rideable pressure overnight without sealant. The dipstick will also tell you how much you have in case you ride in an area where you need the sealant on a regular basis.
Likes For Caliper:
Old 01-02-20, 12:13 PM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
well, they are both holding air. SO I guess I'm good. Can I put more in if I want to?
Old 01-02-20, 02:03 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold
well, they are both holding air. SO I guess I'm good. Can I put more in if I want to?
I don't know what happens if you mix different brands of sealants. One thing I do is to hold the tire almost horizontlly and slowly rotate it so the liqid sealant gets distributed all over the tire; then flip the tire and do the same to the other side. I think there are a number of threads about tubeless tires on the bicycle mechanics forum.