Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Derailleur replacement mechanic advice

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-20, 04:58 PM
paulriccio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I am on a journey replacing parts on an old road bike as a learning experience. I went from 52/42 crank to 50/34 and got a long cage derailleur to take up the slack. It seems with the cable housing the cable was too short. I took that off and going to pick some up tomorrow. I attached it without the housing just to see capability. It seems to pull down towards the ground WAY before it pulls towards the larger cogs. Here is a vid.

I THINK once I get the housing and new cable, if it goes in like a "C" it will change the direction of the cable pull and facilitate the hinge to push in towards the larger cogs. I am here to ask if I am thinking straight before I mask up and buy parts lol.

FYI, I watched multiple videos on adjusting the derailleur and I am fairly sure I firmly grasp that. As always, thank you for the help. Many of you helped me get this far for which I am thankful.
Old 05-02-20, 08:33 AM
SSRI

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
you are missing a derrailluer housing connecting the frame to the RD. (where the derraileur cable will go through)
Likes For SSRI:
Old 05-02-20, 08:45 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
You have to have cable housing to make this work. Without it, you are just wasting your time. You also need the correct ferrule for the cable stop
Old 05-02-20, 08:47 AM
paulriccio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
You have to have cable housing to make this work. Without it, you are just wasting your time
Thank you. I was 99% sure but purchases at stores are now events lol. I wanted to be sure. I really appreciate your reply.