Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding on sidewalks

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Riding on sidewalks

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-20, 08:36 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,270 Times in 1,272 Posts
Here in California , as in many states , it is illegal to pedal a bike on a sidewalk. I took cycling class in the seventies at a local Community College and was taught the vehicular cycling method of cycling. If you are walking your bike you are a pedestrian and may use crosswalks and sidewalks. The minute your fanny hits the saddle and your feet are on the pedals, you are a vehicle. It is that simple . If the road is too dangerous , then walk your bike on the sidewalk or find a detour. We have a "Share The Road" law here that is supposed to give you a 3' barrier , but even the police do not observe it. We do have share sidewalk/ bike lanes but they are marked with a separation stripe which designates an area for pedestrians and one for bikes, very few honor it! I have been yelled at by pedestrians for being on these "multi use paths" so I avoid them if at all possible. I am not out to educate a pissed off pedestrian, I am just out to ride my bike. Joe joesvintageroadbikes.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 06-03-20, 08:37 AM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 78 Posts
https://www.bikeleague.org/ridesmart look for the sidewalk video. And do yourself a favor and watch them all
Old 06-03-20, 08:42 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Snow Dog
What's the proper etiquette for riding a bicycle on sidewalks?

The reason I ask is because I generally try to stay on the road but there are certain stretches of roads that are busy and have cars parked on the side of the road. I use the sidewalk in those cases but fortunately, where I ride I only need to use sidewalks for a short distance.

Yesterday I was using the sidewalk for about a 1/8 mile stretch. A young lady walked out of an alley about 50 feet in front of me and walked toward me. I didn't have anywhere to go or time to get out of her way. We ended up passing each other in opposite directions on the sidewalk.

I felt like I was in the wrong.

I don't want to be that guy that gives cyclists a bad name. Was I out of line here?
The correct etiquette is to get off and walk, or use the street like other vehicles.

You're a criminal.

If there are any intersections or driveways you're also risking your life from drivers not looking for vehicle speed traffic off the main roadway.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 06-03-20 at 08:46 AM.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 06-03-20, 08:43 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Ladies?
Unfortunately sexisim isn't dead.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 06-03-20, 08:52 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Pro tip: legal advice screamed out the window from a moving vehicle is often not correct.
Well the Nigerian Prince I've been sending my money to says I should follow legal advise wherever I get it.

Likes For hillyman:
Old 06-03-20, 09:06 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Snow Dog
What's the proper etiquette for riding a bicycle on sidewalks?
By virtue of asking this question, you're part of the way toward good etiquette. Remember the golden rule, to treat others as you yourself would wish to be treated.

1. Be aware, look when approaching blind spots, and anticipate situations before they occur.
2. Be courteous, remembering that you're on the pedestrian's territory as a guest.
3. Be verbal, give warning and state your intentions in a friendly way. Give a word of encouragement or gratitude as you pass.
4. Be safe, by dismounting if you're unsure or want to show special deference, such as to a mother with small child.

It's always best not to put your bike where it doesn't belong, if practical.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 06-03-20, 09:12 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
At the risk of getting this thread kicked over to The Lounge, I would think this is an especially bad time to ride on sidewalks as it reduces your ability to maintain social distancing.

I ride way too fast to make riding on a sidewalk appealing to me in the slightest, and will do it only under some fairly unusual circumstances.

Sidewalk riding is legal in Illinois per state law, but pedestrians have the right of way under all circumstances. Towns and cities can restrict sidewalk riding by ordinance--in Chicago, for example, you can't ride on a sidewalk in a "business district".

https://www.activetrans.org/sites/fi...ago%20code.pdf
Old 06-03-20, 11:10 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
The ramps are for strollers and wheelchairs.
And where I live bikes as well. Yep lots of strollers, and wheel chairs on the sidewalks around here.......

I guess when the county puts a road work sign(s) on the sidewalk where these ramps are they don't intend to block pedestrians, cyclists, strollers, and wheel chairs?

It always helps to be familiar with an area before making conclusions.

(I have been cycling on these sidewalks for decades)

Last edited by StarBiker; 06-03-20 at 11:13 AM.
Likes For StarBiker:
Old 06-03-20, 11:18 AM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by Rider_1
Check your local laws. In my last city, there were a number of variables regarding what is allowed, specifically wheel size. It might not be a blanket prohibition.
And one can't just google the information because it's not always accurate. You would have to contact the local government, and perhaps even the local police precinct to see if they could give you accurate information. It can be very jurisdiction dependent as you know.

Not one police officer has ever told me, or the rare occasional cyclist around here to get off of the sidewalk. EVER! And I reside in clusterf*ck suburbanville.
Likes For StarBiker:
Old 06-03-20, 11:30 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Just as I expected, many people don't get the question in OP. It is not whether you should ride on sidewalks or not, it's about the proper etiquette if you do.
Old 06-03-20, 11:37 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
At the risk of getting this thread kicked over to The Lounge, I would think this is an especially bad time to ride on sidewalks as it reduces your ability to maintain social distancing.

I ride way too fast to make riding on a sidewalk appealing to me in the slightest, and will do it only under some fairly unusual circumstances.

Sidewalk riding is legal in Illinois per state law, but pedestrians have the right of way under all circumstances. Towns and cities can restrict sidewalk riding by ordinance--in Chicago, for example, you can't ride on a sidewalk in a "business district".

https://www.activetrans.org/sites/fi...ago%20code.pdf
Chicago code actually states:
"No person 12 or more years of age shall ride a bicycle upon any sidewalk in any district, unless such sidewalk has been officially designated and marked as a bicycle route."

The section about business districts only applies to riders under the age of 12.

Additionally, there are laws allowing impounding of bikes and $250 fines for violators in certain areas:
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 06-03-20, 11:40 AM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by subgrade
Just as I expected, many people don't get the question in OP. It is not whether you should ride on sidewalks or not, it's about the proper etiquette if you do.
Common sense?
Old 06-03-20, 11:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
The ramps are for strollers and wheelchairs.
Was he trying to make a statement or ask a question? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 06-03-20, 11:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by msu2001la
Chicago code actually states:
"No person 12 or more years of age shall ride a bicycle upon any sidewalk in any district, unless such sidewalk has been officially designated and marked as a bicycle route."

The section about business districts only applies to riders under the age of 12.

Additionally, there are laws allowing impounding of bikes and $250 fines for violators in certain areas:

You're absolutely right. I stopped reading too early.

Thanks!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-03-20, 11:49 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
I enjoy being alive (or at least don't fancy endling my life being crushed like an insect) so I ride on the sidewalk in places this is safer, especially very busy streets with no bike lanes of which there are many around here. Sometimes there is no sidewalk on one side either so I go the 'wrong way' but that is all legal here. It makes perfect sense to not allow bicycles in very busy shopping areas, you would not be able to be safe or go fast in those areas anyway. In the super dense areas like that in NYC etc. there are probably bike lanes and one way streets and so on which make it much safer for the cyclist. Ultimately do what is safest, for example I put my front wheel into the intersection when I come to a stop light because then the idiots turning right can see I am there and won't skid off into a right turn at 50 mph when the walk signal changes and plow into me.
Old 06-03-20, 11:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by subgrade

This misses a huge point in the U.S., though. The "etiquette" is going to vary somewhat from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and often town by town because there's such a hodgepodge of conflicting laws on the issue. If it's illegal to ride on the sidewalk, which is the case in a lot of places here, there's no "polite" way to violate the pedestrian's rights.

So, the etiquette thing really isn't answerable on a general level--depends where you're riding. Not surprising that the thread drifts into people's opinions about sidewalk riding generally.
Old 06-03-20, 12:41 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
etiquette is, mainly, 'don't that being said, I rode on a lot of sidewalk coming into Buffalo. It was a commercial area with lousy pavement and no pedestrians
Old 06-03-20, 12:51 PM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
This misses a huge point in the U.S., though. The "etiquette" is going to vary somewhat from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and often town by town because there's such a hodgepodge of conflicting laws on the issue. If it's illegal to ride on the sidewalk, which is the case in a lot of places here, there's no "polite" way to violate the pedestrian's rights.

So, the etiquette thing really isn't answerable on a general level--depends where you're riding. Not surprising that the thread drifts into people's opinions about sidewalk riding generally.
I don't see the law and "etiquette" as always mutually exclusive. Legal requirements represent the minimum a rider should do to treat others safely. What's being called etiquette is how to ride to minimize danger to everyone. And it applies irrespective of where we're riding with regard to both geography and circumstance. Bike etiquette should be the same in New York and California. On sidewalks, trails, or roadways - tweaked by the particular situation. I ride on a trail where the bike speed limit is 12 mph, which is fast enough to injure someone, so I have to slow down when others are around to be safe even though I may not be required by law.

Last edited by Tony P.; 06-03-20 at 12:56 PM.
Likes For Tony P.:
Old 06-03-20, 01:03 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Tony P.
I don't see the law and "etiquette" as always mutually exclusive. Legal requirements represent the minimum a rider should do to treat others safely. What's being called etiquette is how to ride to minimize danger to everyone. And it applies irrespective of where we're riding. I ride on a trail where the bike speed limit is 15 mph, which is fast enough to seriously injure someone, so I have to slow down when others are around to be safe even though I may not be required by law.

I don't see that as contradicting my point, though. Law and etiquette can be mutually exclusive when the law absolutely forbids it. Where it's legal, though, the legal specifics are going to vary a lot, and so are the conditions. I ride on some paths where the conditions and law are such that I can legally and safely pass a pedestrian at speeds well in excess of 20 mph. I announce like hell when I do it, but I've never had a close call doing it, and I've actually had many pedestrians thank me for the announce. Other paths I won't even consider riding on because I feel like I'm encroaching on pedestrians when I'm going less than 10 mph.

In any event, I'm pretty sure all the U.S. jurisdictions that allow sidewalk riding also give the pedestrians complete right of way over bicycles on the sidewalk, so it's not exactly a rich topic.
Old 06-03-20, 01:43 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
We can lawfully use the sidewalks here but pedestrians have the right away..I will use the sidewalks when traffic is heavy but I ride slow
Old 06-03-20, 01:53 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I've seen bicyclists riding on a sidewalk and riding as fast as if they were on the road. Even in the business area downtown I've seen this. That sort of riding can result in serious injury or even death to a pedestrian exiting a store, or for any other reason getting hit be the bicyclist. Pedestrians on a sidewalk have been struck and killed by a bicyclist riding on the sidewalk.

Another problem with riding on a sidewalk is that you are out of the line of sight of motor vehicle traffic on the road and every intersection including entrances to parking or plazas or driveways becomes more hazardous for the bicyclist riding on t he sidewalk simply because the driver who checks for pedestrians before pulling into the intersection or driveway is NOT expecting a fast moving bicycle.

I avoid riding on a sidewalk. YMMV

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 06-03-20, 02:47 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by 257 roberts
We can lawfully use the sidewalks here but pedestrians have the right away..I will use the sidewalks when traffic is heavy but I ride slow
In a better world, motorists could lawfully use the streets, but bicycles have the right of way!
​​​​​​
Old 06-03-20, 03:08 PM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
In essence, my earlier point is that bringing legal requirements into a discussion of bike etiquette muddies the waters. It's like debating whether to use a directional signal where no turn is allowed.
Old 06-03-20, 03:18 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
I almost exclusively cycle on sidewalks. To much traffic. All the sidewalks are ramped around here.

I think this is a common sense thread?
Riding on a sidewalk is probably going to be bad news in most places. There's exactly one place where I ride on a sidewalk, and that's this one stretch where a MUP joins back up to a main road and the boneheads that designed this didn't think to put any ramps there. I could stop, unclip, and set my bike down onto the road and then keep riding, but nobody's ever walking this particular stretch of sidewalk so I just ride it for a couple hundred yards until the next business entrance where I can ride down onto the street.

Bottom line is that the safest option is usually to do what others expect so there are no surprises. I'd say in my region nobody's expecting a bike to be cruising along a sidewalk, so by definition almost it's less safe than riding in the street. A sidewalk with pedestrians is for pedestrians, not cyclists.
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 06-03-20, 03:35 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by SethAZ
Riding on a sidewalk is probably going to be bad news in most places. There's exactly one place where I ride on a sidewalk, and that's this one stretch where a MUP joins back up to a main road and the boneheads that designed this didn't think to put any ramps there. I could stop, unclip, and set my bike down onto the road and then keep riding, but nobody's ever walking this particular stretch of sidewalk so I just ride it for a couple hundred yards until the next business entrance where I can ride down onto the street.

Bottom line is that the safest option is usually to do what others expect so there are no surprises. I'd say in my region nobody's expecting a bike to be cruising along a sidewalk, so by definition almost it's less safe than riding in the street. A sidewalk with pedestrians is for pedestrians, not cyclists.
None of that applies here.
THE CAR IS KING. AND THE BIGGER THE VEHICLE THE BETTER......

Again, common sense, pay attention, be nice, and announce you are coming. I can't believe people on here post like this is unheard of. If you live in a place that you can't cycle on the sidewalk you can't? Right? If you don't you can. Simple. Say it with me.........

Last edited by StarBiker; 06-03-20 at 03:38 PM.
Likes For StarBiker:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.