Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mystery bike - Cinelli/Benotto!? Please help ID!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-20, 12:42 PM
alalbs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all. I got a Benotto recently. I was a bit dubious as the re-spray isn't amazing. It's also got a Benotto stamp on the seat stay shoulder that I've never seen - the letters go down (one below the other) as opposed to left to right.. if that makes sense. There are no markings on the rear dropouts. The chain stays aren't diamond shaped. The main tubes aren't perfectly cylindrical - they're narrow. And even more confusingly, there's a Cinelli stamp by the bottom bracket cut out. Any ideas?

Unfortunately I can't attach photos as this is my first post....

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-14-20, 02:35 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,386 Times in 3,671 Posts
Originally Posted by alalbs
Hi all. I got a Benotto recently. I was a bit dubious as the re-spray isn't amazing. It's also got a Benotto stamp on the seat stay shoulder that I've never seen - the letters go down (one below the other) as opposed to left to right.. if that makes sense. There are no markings on the rear dropouts. The chain stays aren't diamond shaped. The main tubes aren't perfectly cylindrical - they're narrow. And even more confusingly, there's a Cinelli stamp by the bottom bracket cut out. Any ideas?

Unfortunately I can't attach photos as this is my first post....

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Welcome aboard, glad you found us.

You need 10 posts for pics, 5 X 2 days, respond here, go around and comment on threads that interest you.

We need pics, lots of them and good ones, driveside, details, lugs, flaws, numbers and all.

The Cinelli BB was used on likely millions of bikes so its a very loose indicator of quality.
Old 08-16-20, 02:32 AM
alalbs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi merziac

Thanks for the heads up. Will do that now and then reply in a couple of days with photos!
Old 08-16-20, 05:18 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,876 Posts
Link to OP's photo gallery: https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/524742

Sorry, no time do an analysis or picture assist, right now. I'll be back, later.
Old 08-16-20, 11:38 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
It looks like a legitimate BENOTTO to me, even the paint.

The CINELLI bottom bracket was used by many builders and does not signify who made the bike. It means they cared enough to use a CINELLI bottom bracket.
Old 08-16-20, 11:51 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I bought one of those BB shells for my DIY frameset..
Old 08-16-20, 12:29 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 788 Posts
Based on the photos it sure looks legit (doubt anybody would "counterfeit" those staycaps) but unlike any Benotto I ever saw. This looks like a later production model than the "classic" champagne painted examples we typically see, the semi-vertical dropouts would place it into late '80s early '90s territory or later, says my gut. (which has been known to be wrong) Interested in what @T-Mar will have to say!

Speaking of "odd" what is going on with the chain stays where they enter the BB shell sockets, looks like they are formed with "ripple waves", I have not seen that before!

Last edited by unworthy1; 08-16-20 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-17-20, 10:32 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,876 Posts
This one is puzzling. Offhand, I don't recall those dropouts being used on anything other than the 5000 model. The internal brake cable routing, fork crown and BB is also correct for that model, as are the narrower, non-cylindrical tubes. I've even see that style of stay cap and non-diamond chainstays on some 5000. However, I have yet to see (or can't remember) one without top mount shift levers and internal routing of the rear derailleur cable. I guess that could have been part of a pre-respray modification, but it seems like a lot of trouble to go though. As for the "ripple waves" in the chain stays, I put that down to a reflection in the paint.

Overall, it seems to most closely resemble a Benotto 5000. I'm not sure if it's factory variation or an owner modification or something completely different. Kurt ( @cudak888 ) may be able able to provide further information, one way or the other. IIRC, he has a particular interest in the Benotto 5000.