Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A 2009 Thread ended my Cortina search! More help please..

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-20, 04:17 PM
Rick@44

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just joined (Hello!) because a 2009 thread gave me the answer I've been searching for over a year to find! It's about the Cortina Italian road bike I got at an auction in upstate Pennsylvania (the "Coal Regions") thanks to a phone call from my best friend. ("I think there's something here you may like.")

Knowing absolutely nothing about it, I've written to "experts" in Italy (three), Germany (two), The Netherlands, Stockholm, U.S., U.K.. Nothing. Nobody knew anything.

Tried one more time again today with some new inputs .... And there you were!

Back in '09, a member named "T-Mar" had replied to a thread looking for information about a Cortina. And suddenly, 11 years later, I finally knew what/where/when. Wow. I sure hope T-Mar is still aboard because he's a treasure trove. I replied to the thread, and now I'm trying this new one to all of you to get more info. (Thanks to RyVala for answering about the crankset )

It's a Cortina "Riviera" with Campy Valentino Extra shifters, Balilla center-pull brakes, Ambrosio rims, Pirelli 27 x 1 1/4 gumwall tires that inflated and held, and the coolest bar wrap I have EVER seen: looks like red/white/green gift ribbon! Seriously. What look like fender-mount holes front and rear make me think the Riviera model was for endurance/touring.

It's in great condition - the tire treads look brand new. Once I adjust the really loose shifter cables, I'm gonna take her for a ride around the neighborhood.

Have a lot of photos, if you're interested.

Any help on narrowing things down would be very much appreciated. Be well, stay safe.

Ciao,
Rick
(There's a deep personal connection here: My grandparents came to the PA Coal Regions for work when they arrived in the U.S. from Italy in the nineteen-teens. It's also my first Italian bike. My main ride is a Specialized Roubaix.)
Old 08-16-20, 05:32 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
T-Mar is indeed still active (tho he says he's busy today) but what info he shared back in '09 is probably valid and he'd be repeating himself, but GOOD pictures are essential for any expert ID: entire bike from the drive-side and details in close-ups, the components are usually always secondary.
Old 08-17-20, 08:48 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Welcome to forums. The Riviera was the middle of the the three Valentino Extra models offered by Cortina. Specifications were a bit vague, with few specifics. The tubing was "seamless", which almost certainly translates to hi-tensile given the cited 27 lb weight for a 23" frame. The only components mentioned by name are the Universal or Balilla brakeset, Campagnolo Valentino Extra derailleurs, TTT handlebar, Grand Prix saddle and San Remo rims (alloy 27" x 1-1/4"). Hubs are simply stated as being large flange with quick release, while the crankset spec doesn't mention brand or model, just stating a 40-52T chainrings. MSRP was $155-$160 US. Colour options were silver, white, red, orange or yellow, with chromed head lugs and rear stays. This pretty much adds up to a mid-range model for the era.

You've already seen by write-up on the entry level Cortina Racer. However, most interesting of the three was the top Cortina Silver Cloud. It used Columbus tubing and a tubular wheelset with Campagnolo Nuovo Tipo hubs. Brakes and derailleurs were the same as spec'd on the Racer and Riviera. MSRP was $225-$230 US and the claimed weight was 23 lbs.

Unfortunately, all I have are spec sheets and only for 1973. No pictures.

Since my previous post, I've discovered a bit more about Cortina. They originally started in 1955, selling skis, ski poles, bindings, boots and accessories. In 1969 they diversified into snowmobiles. They added bicycles for the 1972 model year. It appears the early 1970s bicycle boom provided the opportunity for a complimentary summer product.

The serial number may allow us to determine the exact year and manufacturer. It appears that Cortina was only a marketing and sales company, having their products contract manufactured by other companies.

If you try to upload pictures, you will probably get a warning saying they are prohibited, as you have less than 10 posts. While they won't appear in this post, they will still upload to an gallery album under you ID, where members can view them.