Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

DIY Cork Grips!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

DIY Cork Grips!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-20, 05:35 PM
mr3speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
DIY Cork Grips!

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread, but I made myself some cork grips for my 1981 Miyata Commuter. I was just kind of wingin' it and think they came out pretty nice! Thought I'd share in case anyone else wanted to do something like this. I looked around and didn't see any info about doing this. Thanks!

Likes For mr3speed:
Old 09-10-20, 06:32 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Damn, that's cool. Great work. I like the bike too! One of my fly fishing rods has a really nice grip on it, nice cork grips feel great.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-10-20, 10:59 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Ha! I thought I recognized your voice & delivery from your woodwork videos. Nice, & welcome to Bike Forums. I just watched the curved store shelves I think last night.

Surprised they weren't made from MDF.

Trader Joe's organic wine (4 buck chuck) has corks that make great bar end plugs. Also make good feet for cutting boards, etc.
Old 09-11-20, 09:01 AM
xlbs
xlbs

Bikes: True North TI, Miyata 1000LT, Rodriguez tandem, Fontan vintage road, Sekine vintage road, Catrike recumbent

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Shimano hub

You mention on your video that you couldn't find anything on youtube for the Shimano 3 speed hub...search under the following.

Old 09-11-20, 11:33 AM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
[QUOTE=mr3speed;21688013]Not sure if this is the right place for this thread, but I made myself some cork grips for my 1981 Miyata Commuter. I was just kind of wingin' it and think they came out pretty nice! Thought I'd share in case anyone else wanted to do something like this. I looked around and didn't see any info about doing this. Thanks!
/QUOTE]

Nicely done. I used shellac on my cork grips and it worked nicely. I did it in 2009 and it is still holding up. I will say though this bike hasn't see a lot of use since 2011 when I bought my Surly, but it was ridden a lot before that. I used an amber color since I thought it would look good on the natural color cork, and I like the outcome. It did darken the darker cork bar tape though. I believe the cork tape was black to begin with.

Old 09-11-20, 04:17 PM
mr3speed

Originally Posted by xlbs
You mention on your video that you couldn't find anything on youtube for the Shimano 3 speed hub...search under the following.

How To Overhaul Shimano 333 FA 3-Speed Hub

Thanks, I meant that it's nearly impossible to find videos about Japanese 3 speed bikes. If you went to youtube and typed in 3 speed bike, all the videos are about Raleighs or Schwinns. Also, I've never seen a 3 speed made with a frame this nice OR 27" wheels.
Old 09-11-20, 04:20 PM
mr3speed

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Ha! I thought I recognized your voice & delivery from your woodwork videos. Nice, & welcome to Bike Forums. I just watched the curved store shelves I think last night.

Surprised they weren't made from MDF.

Trader Joe's organic wine (4 buck chuck) has corks that make great bar end plugs. Also make good feet for cutting boards, etc.
I'm sorry but you lost me.

Who is it that you think I sound like?
Old 09-11-20, 04:27 PM
mr3speed

[QUOTE=phughes;21689066]
Originally Posted by mr3speed
Not sure if this is the right place for this thread, but I made myself some cork grips for my 1981 Miyata Commuter. I was just kind of wingin' it and think they came out pretty nice! Thought I'd share in case anyone else wanted to do something like this. I looked around and didn't see any info about doing this. Thanks!
/QUOTE]

Nicely done. I used shellac on my cork grips and it worked nicely. I did it in 2009 and it is still holding up. I will say though this bike hasn't see a lot of use since 2011 when I bought my Surly, but it was ridden a lot before that. I used an amber color since I thought it would look good on the natural color cork, and I like the outcome. It did darken the darker cork bar tape though. I believe the cork tape was black to begin with.

That looks awesome! I thought they were wooden grips for a second
Likes For mr3speed:
Old 09-11-20, 04:36 PM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
[QUOTE=mr3speed;21689502]
Originally Posted by phughes
That looks awesome! I thought they were wooden grips for a second
Thanks! They are also quite comfortable.

Last edited by phughes; 09-12-20 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-11-20, 10:01 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I'm sorry but you lost me.

Who is it that you think I sound like?

Oh, my mistake. You sound just like this guy, and some of his videos were right there in the youtube sidebar.

Old 09-15-20, 06:01 PM
mr3speed

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Oh, my mistake. You sound just like this guy, and some of his videos were right there in the youtube sidebar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZQ9qOduSs8
HAHA, I wish my videos were produced that well and my channel was as popular. Maybe some day
Old 09-18-20, 07:28 AM
viperocco

Bikes: 05 Fuji Outland Pro, Fuji cape may, Giant simple single, Peugeot Corbier, Miyata 215st

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn7AM5t8Bt0
Very cool bike and good work on the grips!