Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Wahoo and RidewithGPS (Slightly) Off

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-20, 02:41 PM
Ferguron

Bikes: '15 Giant Propel Advanced SL1, '17 Trek Madone RSL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 15 Posts

I have my Wahoo Bolt set to synch with RidewithGPS. For some reason, ride statistics are off slightly...like today for a ride of about an hour lopng ride, Wahoo shows a moving time of 20 seconds more that RWGPS. Anybody else experience this?
Old 09-23-20, 04:01 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Everyone will experience that to varying degrees at different times.

Your Wahoo or any other device you use and RWGPS or any other site you use don't use the same data to arrive at the information they are giving you. Your Wahoo is able to use data accumulated many times per second that never makes it into the log file you upload that at best is probably every one second. And in one second on a bike at 20 mph you are covering more than 29 feet of distance.

Also, some websites will derive information from the data in the log file differently than your device will. There are some things that you can change some settings for that can get you a better agreement. Mostly you just have to adjust your thinking to not let it bother you.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-23-20, 04:18 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
As Mark Twain said, the man with one watch always knows precisely what time it is. The man with two watches is never quite certain.

Pick one and stick with it.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 09-23-20, 05:27 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
That's normal. Apps and bike computers rely on GPS, which is only a guesstimate, and in some cases wheel sensors that are only slightly more accurate.

Ride data will vary slightly due to GPS sampling, whether there were any GPS sync errors, and whether the phone app can fall back on cell tower for location when GPS sync fails -- most bike computers can't do that.

Bike computers and apps also vary in auto-pause/restart thresholds, and some devices and apps allow the user to set those thresholds for the speeds at which pause/restart kick in. Over distance and with many stops or slowdowns, those differences add up to differences in app/computer data.
Old 10-03-20, 07:25 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
FWIW, I've checked my Wahoo Element Bolt against Strava and Ride with GPS, and they never agree. I just use the Bolt and let it upload to Strava. Not a critical thing for me, but I was curious.

BTW, the Bolt always read lower than either of those apps.