Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

School Zone Safety - Your input is appreciated!

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-19, 06:45 PM
speyfitter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts

As you guys know there is a lot of activity at elementary & high schools schools during drop off and pick up time. School kids, parents, & staff walking to/from school, cycling to/from school, and/or being dropped off/picked up or parking in front of or at the school. Even with reduced speed limits, and some traffic calming measures, the figurative whirlwind that occurs at these high traffic times leaves a lot of possibility for something to go wrong. I'm curious if you guys could share any interesting or noteworthy practices and/or infrastructure designs that have been implemented in your area and/or that you have heard of or observed that in your mind are effective at reducing the potential for something to go wrong during these busy times? Thanks!
Old 11-04-19, 08:51 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
The elementary school near my house has a nice police officer waiting in an auspicious place. In addition, the area right in front of the school entrance is designated for buses, so the private cars have to go about half a block down the street and there's little or no space for them to wait around. In short, it's a pain in the neck to drop kids off by car.

The high school has no student parking.
Old 11-04-19, 09:24 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I never see anyone on a bike going to or from the schools near where I live. There may be a few outliers.

How does this thread relate to cycling? Other than my having to slow down to 25 mph if I ride by when the school zone lights are flashing during the start and end of school days. Or, in locales where bikes are used to get to or from schools.
Old 11-05-19, 04:17 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
School safety zones should be care-free except for school staff and residences.

Parents can always park the car a block away and walk to the school to wait for their kids. The walking will do them good.
Old 11-05-19, 07:08 AM
SactoDoug
eMail Sold to Spammers

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
A town near me did an infrastructure change at a school that I thought was interesting. There was a five lane road in front of the school, 2 lanes each direction plus a center turn lane. They changed the main road into a single lane each direction, put in a long divider and had two lanes in front of the school exclusively for picking up and dropping off children. The through traffic could not change lanes into any of the drop-off lanes.
Old 11-05-19, 08:02 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Other than my having to slow down to 25 mph if I ride by when the school zone lights are flashing during the start and end of school days.
25 mph? Jesus Christo. That's the max speed limit on many roads here in Philly. School Zone is 15 mph.
Old 11-05-19, 05:16 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
25 mph? Jesus Christo. That's the max speed limit on many roads here in Philly. School Zone is 15 mph.
25 in suburban school zones, which is where majority of Indy's schools are. I'll keep an eye open for what it is in more urban locations.
Old 11-06-19, 10:30 AM
speyfitter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM

How does this thread relate to cycling?
Example: Kid bikes to school and gets hit by a car right in front of the school. How to we prevent the potential for this occurring during times of high traffic in front of a school during pick up/drop off?
Old 11-06-19, 11:27 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
They've converted a local gradeschool to a specialty school near me.

Now, rather than buses to fill up the school with kids, we get 1 giant bus per kid.

I just wish they would learn to carpool with those giant buses.