Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ti-Raleigh Team 753 40th anniversary replica review

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-20, 02:16 PM
capt_velo

Bikes: 1988 Gitane Team Replica, 2022 Trek Top Fuel 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts

Raleigh is reliving the glory days of its 1980 Tour de France win with a remake of the iconic Team 753 bike, but how does it actually ride? We've been tightening up its toe straps to find out

It's a little pricey, but I like the effort. This doesn't make up for discontinuing the Grand Vitesse though.

I thought this part was really interesting
The biggest issue with remaking the Team 753 is that Reynolds doesn’t make the original heat-treated steel tubeset anymore. The Nottingham bike brand and Birmingham tube worked together to recreate period-correct plumbing which was then silver brazed into Allotec lugs by Maxway in Taiwan - one of the few remaining 753-certified builders.

Last edited by capt_velo; 09-15-20 at 02:50 PM.
Likes For capt_velo:
Old 09-15-20, 02:46 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Plenty here to like regardless of its shortcomings, perceived or otherwise.

We should embrace any and all efforts by any company that continues to keep the flame going, most of them are happy to abandon most of it.

My hats off to Raleigh for sticking with us.

Spendy, yes, no I didn't get one, thought long and hard about it, biggest one is too small, still should have.

Actually lucky my advanced link didn't work, I'd probably have one of the frames sitting here otherwise.
Likes For merziac:
Old 09-15-20, 04:21 PM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
I am really just not a fan of retro or reproduction bikes.
They usually have none of the redeeming qualities that made the original bike cool in the first place.
This one is no exception.
Old 09-15-20, 04:36 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 402 Times in 217 Posts
Happy to see the bike but the reviewer? What was he thinking? Of course it has cloth tape. Of course it has toe straps. Saying those things make the bike less desirable is like reviewing a car built to specs from the 50’s and then complaining about having to use the choke and the clutch.
Likes For Mr. Spadoni:
Old 09-15-20, 06:41 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
I was about to say - it may not be the original, but it appeared to be a very worthy KOF (and potentially a better deal for some than an original SBDU frameset), until I took a good hard look at the main triangle.

These photos are from two different sources. And you know what I see? A sloping top tube. Ever so slight, but it's there.

I can't for the life of me understand why they took something so nearly perfect and ruined it this way. The non-aero brakes and downtube shifters are proof enough that this replica was intended to have no concessions to modernity if it could avoid it...so why ruin the one critical thing that us retrogrouches look for in a replica like this?

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 09-15-20 at 06:51 PM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 09-15-20, 07:11 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
And you know what I see? A sloping top tube. Ever so slight, but it's there. I can't for the life of me understand why they took something so nearly perfect and ruined it this way. The non-aero brakes and downtube shifters are proof enough that this replica was intended to have no concessions to modernity if it could avoid it...so why ruin the one critical thing that us retrogrouches look for in a replica like this?-Kurt
My guess is that the investment cast lugs that are still available have steeper angles than the original design of the frame. The easiest and best way to make them work without blacksmithing them into submission is to slope the tube an ever so slight amount. Only someone as sharp eyed as you would notice it. And the few that do would probably not care.

For the market it is intended (somebody old enough to have wanted one 40 years ago), a slightly sloping tube is most likely an advantage. It raises the top of the head tube a slight amount so the handlebars can be just a little bit higher without looking as goofy. Those in their 60's and 70's aren't as lean and flexible as they were in 1980 and will most likely prefer higher handlebars. A slightly sloping top tube is a trick some of my older frame building class students use when designing their frames. Using lugs with steeper angles than their design makes it easier for them to fit and braze their frame.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 09-15-20, 07:20 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked 1,895 Times in 930 Posts
And you know what I see? A sloping top tube. Ever so slight, but it's there.
I was hoping you were wrong, but you're right.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 09-15-20, 07:29 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

I was about to say - it may not be the original, but it appeared to be a very worthy KOF (and potentially a better deal for some than an original SBDU frameset), until I took a good hard look at the main triangle.

These photos are from two different sources. And you know what I see? A sloping top tube. Ever so slight, but it's there.

I can't for the life of me understand why they took something so nearly perfect and ruined it this way. The non-aero brakes and downtube shifters are proof enough that this replica was intended to have no concessions to modernity if it could avoid it...so why ruin the one critical thing that us retrogrouches look for in a replica like this?

-Kurt
They talked about doing it on purpose, I think to maintain the geo on the other sizes.

There is a factory video where they address it some.

Looks like it was done to minimize the range they wanted to do, sloping the TT would let them say "oh a 61 will be ok if you need a 62-63" and still accommodate 59-60 as well.

Old 09-15-20, 07:35 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
My guess is that the investment cast lugs that are still available have steeper angles than the original design of the frame. The easiest and best way to make them work without blacksmithing them into submission is to slope the tube an ever so slight amount.
I don't buy it. Ceeway has always had a selection of investment cast lugs designed for level top tubes and 73/73 angles, and Fuji's 2009 Connoisseur was a traditional, level-top-tube lugged production frame (IIRC, 73/73 too).

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
Only someone as sharp eyed as you would notice it. And the few that do would probably not care. For the market it is intended (somebody old enough to have wanted one 40 years ago), a slightly sloping tube is most likely an advantage.
I disagree. This thing has non-aero brakes, cotton bar tape, downtube shifters, a threaded 1" headset, and the shape of the bars means that if you want any long-term comfort, you're going into the drops. This is not going to be a comfortable machine for the aging road cyclists that remembered these when they were new. If that was the intent of this reissue, they would have at least spec'ed it with classic-inspired aero levers.

If comfort is a priority, they failed by being too accurate to the original in regards to components.
If accuracy is a priority, they failed by sloping that top tube.

About the only folks they aren't going to tick off are those who're going to buy one and leave it in the box with the silly idea that it's an "investment."

-Kurt

Old 09-15-20, 07:41 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by merziac
They talked about doing it on purpose, I think to maintain the geo on the other sizes.

There is a factory video where they address it some.
A slick corporate video isn't going to convince me that they're putting glitter over a crap decision.

They've gone through all the effort of making a bike limited to 250 units, and even dusted Reynolds 753 out of the closet to do it. The least they could have done was not violate one of the principle rules of C&V in making a lugged steel frameset that's aspiring to be a fairly hardcore replica.

Now I'm curious if the 2014/15 replica is sloped or not. If anything, the brifters and bar tape - though by no means period accurate - make a lot more sense for the target market Doug is speaking of. Head angle on this 54(?)cm example looks a bit slack though - a concession for toe overlap? Who knows - can't find a photo of a larger one from this particular reissue series.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 09-15-20 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-15-20, 07:49 PM
merziac

A slick corporate video isn't going to convince me that they're putting glitter over a crap decision.

They've gone through all the effort of making a bike limited to 250 units, and even dusted Reynolds 753 out of the closet to do it.

The least they could have done was not violate one of the principle rules of C&V in making a lugged steel frameset that's aspiring to be a fairly hardcore replica. Sheesh.

-Kurt
I'm not justifying it or drinking the kool-aid, just saying they tried to gloss over it, I wholeheartedly agree with you and like I said am glad my link didn't work since I may have momentarily lost my mind when they launched.

Same BS goes for the dropouts that are slab steak thick ugly to conform to "safety standards" since all before and since have maimed and killed so many.

There certainly is too much wrong here but at least they tried, more than you can say for many of the rest.

Guess I'm just sentimental, or just mental at least.
Likes For merziac:
Old 09-15-20, 07:58 PM
NatusEstInSuht

Bikes: 1970's Piasentin Super Vitus 971, 1979 Carlton Professional, 2005 Trek 5000, 2011 Niner EMD, 2018 Argon 18 XRoad, 1990 Diamondback Master TG Centurion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 55 Posts
Looks great! A nice modern update on a classic bicycle. Raleigh has done a good job on this and I'm sure they'll quickly sell all 250 copies.
Likes For NatusEstInSuht:
Old 09-15-20, 08:00 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by merziac
I'm not justifying it or drinking the kool-aid, just saying they tried to gloss over it, I wholeheartedly agree with you and like I said am glad my link didn't work since I may have momentarily lost my mind when they launched.

Same BS goes for the dropouts that are slab steak thick ugly to conform to "safety standards" since all before and since have maimed and killed so many.

There certainly is too much wrong here but at least they tried, more than you can say for many of the rest.

Guess I'm just sentimental, or just mental at least.
No worries . And I almost did something about that "buy now" button too. I've wanted something very red, very yellow, and very Raleigh for a while now. Those oddball French 531 frames that worked their way here are quite enticing too - I don't need an SBDU, and I don't think I should be cranking on vintage 753.

They did try, but all things considered, it really leaves me shaking my head. It just feels as if they went to 99% with this replica and then told the top tube to take a hike.

-Kurt

P.S.: I don't mind thick dropouts, even if they're thicker than the standard 1010 fare - I think it's a knee-jerk reaction against how thin drops tend to suggest "stamped and cheap bike boom" for anything after the mid-1960s.

Old 09-15-20, 08:18 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts

-Kurt
I will agree the short slopping top tube and silly way short rear triangle basically ruin this bike.
Old 09-15-20, 08:36 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by zukahn1
I will agree the short slopping top tube and silly way short rear triangle basically ruin this bike.
The rear triangle doesn't bug me. The tires on the demo bike look like 25C's (or fat 23's), which would contribute to it being a close fit with the seattube.

In comparison to a '75 Pro Mk.IV and a '78 Pro Mk.V (both with 23C's - the V has tubulars), it's not far off:

I bet there are much tighter SBDUs out there.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 09-15-20 at 08:41 PM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 09-15-20, 08:45 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
I find it even more offensive that the writer assumes that his readers all wear camelbaks, since they'd crash and die if they tried to use a water bottle.

--Shannon
Old 09-15-20, 09:27 PM
merziac

No worries . And I almost did something about that "buy now" button too. I've wanted something very red, very yellow, and very Raleigh for a while now. Those oddball French 531 frames that worked their way here are quite enticing too - I don't need an SBDU, and I don't think I should be cranking on vintage 753.

They did try, but all things considered, it really leaves me shaking my head. It just feels as if they went to 99% with this replica and then told the top tube to take a hike.

-Kurt

P.S.: I don't mind thick dropouts, even if they're thicker than the standard 1010 fare - I think it's a knee-jerk reaction against how thin drops tend to suggest "stamped and cheap bike boom" for anything after the mid-1960s.
Maybe, the same slick corporate video talks about the safety standards dictating that too so who knows.
Old 09-15-20, 10:13 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Tough crowd. Or tough minor peanut gallery, I guess.

Sloping top tube that is a couple degrees. Oh well.
Flat crown instead of sloping. Oh well.
Larger dropouts due to legal compliance. Oh well.

Maybe these things add up to not wanting to buy the bike because it isnt close enough to the original.
It also has a 2x10 drivetrain as well as 130mm dropouts, so it clearly isn't an exact replica.

It'd be neat if the US version of Raleigh did anything cool like this over the last few years. Instead, they just seem to recycle the same half neat designs and let them run their course until selling out the stock.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-15-20, 10:35 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Tough crowd. Or tough minor peanut gallery, I guess.

Sloping top tube that is a couple degrees. Oh well.
Flat crown instead of sloping. Oh well.
Larger dropouts due to legal compliance. Oh well.

Maybe these things add up to not wanting to buy the bike because it isnt close enough to the original.
It also has a 2x10 drivetrain as well as 130mm dropouts, so it clearly isn't an exact replica.

It'd be neat if the US version of Raleigh did anything cool like this over the last few years. Instead, they just seem to recycle the same half neat designs and let them run their course until selling out the stock.
All true enough, and these deals are never not costly but the high pricing of not really retro parts, pieces and a frame that could probably be built better from scratch for less makes it very challenging to get on board.

Like I said, I'm glad they went here as many won't but am glad I didn't lose my mind when it came out.
Old 09-15-20, 11:09 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
"Period correct plumbing" ??? later referred to as cro mo. Like they are really going to create a new alloy just for this bike. Why not just admit they used 725, which is basically identical to 753 in physical properties.

The terrible set up in the first picture of the review didn't exactly give me confidence. It wouldn't have been that hard to find someone familiar enough with vintage race bikes to correctly route cables, position levers, level the seat, and choose the right size frame.
Old 09-16-20, 12:30 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
$3222.42 for that? Lol.

These retro-flashback rigs are a joke. For that kind of money, I am not impressed with a spec sheet which includes "Retro style 50/39T chainset" or "Classic aero post". Sounds like they outfitted this with the same wonky Frankenbike gruppo cues from Bianchi's grossly-overpriced L'Eroica tribute bike. I wonder who the target audience is, honestly.

I know there are a lot of fans here, I'm just not one of them. The component spec is my biggest gripe regarding any of these modern retro bikes, but as Kurt noted, the sloping top tube is a no-go as well. Meh.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 09-16-20, 01:28 AM
P!N20

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
$3222.42 for that? Lol.

These retro-flashback rigs are a joke. For that kind of money, I am not impressed with a spec sheet which includes "Retro style 50/39T chainset" or "Classic aero post". Sounds like they outfitted this with the same wonky Frankenbike gruppo cues from Bianchi's grossly-overpriced L'Eroica tribute bike. I wonder who the target audience is, honestly.

I know there are a lot of fans here, I'm just not one of them. The component spec is my biggest gripe regarding any of these modern retro bikes, but as Kurt noted, the sloping top tube is a no-go as well. Meh.

DD
To be fair, sloping top tube aside, if the component choice isn't your thing it is available as a frame only. (Well, 50 of them are.) Although I was looking forward to seeing what you could do with that bench drill of yours
Old 09-16-20, 02:24 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 185 Posts
Break my balls

They ship the 753 tubing to Taiwan and get some poor bastard on 5 bucks an hour to make it coz instead of making a decent profit they want to make an obscene profit. It won't work.
Interesting they go the Full Cleveland on dress code for the CEOs in the promo to enhance the retro look. LOL, back in the day even the factory foreman wore a suit.
I never liked the Milk Race livery but I wouldn't have thought a horizontal top tube was going to break the bank.
Who under 50 wants a poor replica of a 1980s steel bike. If someone wants light steel there are plenty of new 853 Reynolds bikes for less that don't falsely claim to be retro.
Old 09-16-20, 02:49 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
An honest comparison of old against new (frame/fork only):

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 09-16-20, 05:20 AM
P!N20

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
An honest comparison of old against new (frame/fork only):
What a pedant...he'd fit in well here.

Geez those dropouts are pretty ugly, huh?
Likes For P!N20:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.