Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Getting counted

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Getting counted

Old 09-15-11, 08:53 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Getting counted

On Saturday, I'm volunteering at a City event to attempt to quantify the number of bikes on the streets and, I assume, the number of trips by bicycle and foot traffic.

This is Des Moines' first official count. But it will apparently become a regular event, so that planners and other officials can get a handle on bicycle traffic growth in the city and react appropriately.

I'm hoping we eventually come out north of 1%, but right now when I say there's a lot of bike traffic, I'm just making a good guess.

With more rigorous statistics, the city can go after more funding and make bike infrastructure even better.

Does your city have these events?
Old 09-15-11, 10:18 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I was interviewed for a survey on our bike trail a few years ago. The results were used on the city website, and also for funding proposals and to make plans for new trail facilities. I guess it helped--the trail was extended and impoved a couple years later.

I was in the minority as somebody who used the trail for utilitarian purposes rather than purly recreational. I think if there was a new survey today, there would be a larger proportion of utility and everyday cyclists.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 09-15-11, 10:33 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
How do they count bicycle commuters, anyway? I keep seeing confident-sounding statistics about how many people ride to work each day in each city, but have no idea how anyone keeps track of any of it. Sometimes I suspect that city traffic people just believe what bicycle advocates tell them, or that they just make up the numbers themselves.
Old 09-15-11, 11:11 PM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Next month I'll be helping to count the cyclists using our bike paths. The last time this was done, in 2008, they found that 50,000 trips were being made daily by bike, an increase of 450% over 2007. We're expecting a much higher number this year.
Old 09-16-11, 01:20 AM
hammandegger

Bikes: 1998 trek 6000, 2001 cannondale terra, 2005 gary fisher tiburon, 2006 giant transport, 2011 surly long haul trucker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think they have anything like that in the Tampa Bay area. I believe that this area consistently rates as one of the worst for pedestrians and bicyclists. I know they count bicycle fatalities and I believe that within the last year [in the whole Tampa Bay region] 15 people on bicycles have been flattened by somebody in a motor vehicle.
Old 09-16-11, 04:32 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by bragi
How do they count bicycle commuters, anyway? I keep seeing confident-sounding statistics about how many people ride to work each day in each city, but have no idea how anyone keeps track of any of it. Sometimes I suspect that city traffic people just believe what bicycle advocates tell them, or that they just make up the numbers themselves.
For one thing, the Census Department surveys households to gather this information. The data is generally considered to be accurate.

https://www.census.gov/hhes/commuting/

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 09-16-11, 09:03 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'll let you know tomorrow. I do know that this has been spread over 4 days, but the surveys and counting are only two hours. I think the plan is to do another in the Spring.
Old 09-17-11, 10:02 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by gerv
I'll let you know tomorrow. I do know that this has been spread over 4 days, but the surveys and counting are only two hours. I think the plan is to do another in the Spring.
It's great that you're willing to give up your Saturday to help out cycling in your community.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Likes For Roody:
Old 09-17-11, 05:51 PM
Ali_Pine

Location: Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper

Bikes: Montague - Paratrooper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recently on a MUP (KATY Trail) that had electronic counters every few miles.
Old 09-18-11, 10:30 AM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
It's great that you're willing to give up your Saturday to help out cycling in your community.
I usually volunteer at the bike co-op on Saturdays. It provides me with a great workout, access to parts if I need them, provides an education in bike repairs... I'd say I'm getting a lot out of it. That and the fact that it keeps me off the couch...

I'm surprised more people haven't discovered the benefits.

I sort of agree with you that statistics have their own voodoo feel to it. I believe the trick is to get a lot of data, capture that same dataset over time and do comparisons.

At these counting stations, we simply tallied bikes and pedestrians in separate columns, spread out over 15 minute time periods. We had a sheet for the North/South street and a sheet for the East/West... We also note things like weather, which was cold and breezy on my counting day.

These tallies are scheduled quarterly I believe and I guess the bikes might increase over time on that same corner.

I put a more detailed explanation in the link on my signature line if you are interested.

But yes, it's probably voodoo... the same sort of voodoo that previously had traffic engineers believe that they don't need to allocate resources for bikes and peds.
Old 09-18-11, 08:17 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

But yes, it's probably voodoo... the same sort of voodoo that previously had traffic engineers believe that they don't need to allocate resources for bikes and peds.
Yes, like the automatic traffic counters (the cables that go across the traffic lanes). They count cars and trucks, but bikes that roll over them are too light to be recorded.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 09-18-11, 10:14 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, like the automatic traffic counters (the cables that go across the traffic lanes). They count cars and trucks, but bikes that roll over them are too light to be recorded.
Are you sure about this? A few years ago ago, I talked to an acquaintance who's a traffic engineer in Seattle, and she complained about kids jumping up and down on the cables on their automated counters, totally screwing up their numbers.
Old 09-19-11, 04:01 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Depends on the counters. FWIW they were doing bike counts in Iowa City while I was there a couple of summers ago. They were counting them using an electric eye type device. They had a little sign posted saying what it was. I made sure to ride through it every chance I got.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 09-19-11, 02:48 PM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Always quick to be critical without first doing research...

https://seattlebikeblog.com/2011/09/0...ate-september/
Old 09-19-11, 07:33 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Interesting that Seattle is moving to an automated system. I figure if we can send a man to the moon (we did that, didn't we?) we can figure a way to make the counter cable sensitive enough to register a bicycle.

But the non-automated, volunteer driven system is also trying to count peds... those guys are apt to step over the counter .
Old 10-21-20, 10:42 AM
italcyclist

Bikes: A vintage road bicycle, and hybrid and a mtb.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On Saturday, I'm volunteering at a City event to attempt to quantify the number of bikes on the streets and, I assume, the number of trips by bicycle and foot traffic.

This is Des Moines' first official count. But it will apparently become a regular event, so that planners and other officials can get a handle on bicycle traffic growth in the city and react appropriately.

I'm hoping we eventually come out north of 1%, but right now when I say there's a lot of bike traffic, I'm just making a good guess.

With more rigorous statistics, the city can go after more funding and make bike infrastructure even better.

Does your city have these events?
No, and I wish they did.
I live in Fort Worth, Texas, and this city is commuter bike desert.
Nearly devoid of streets that make bike commuting possible.
RD