Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rockbros sucker rack

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rockbros sucker rack

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-20, 06:23 PM
Princess_Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
That's what it's named.
that explains it!
Old 10-19-20, 09:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
RockBros is such a sad company it is cheap knockoff products. They couldn't even bother coming up with their own name FFS. I wouldn't trust their products to carry any of my bikes. Plus my bikes are not Garfield and do not ride on suction cups

I would much rather have a good hitch rack or heck I would probably trust a good quality trunk rack more than one of those suction cups. I don't like trunk racks and wouldn't use ancient ones or ones found mostly on Amazon. I might put a Thule or Yakima or even Saris trunk rack on my car if absolutely desperate but I would sooner get a hitch and hitch rack or get a roof rack and just put a sticker on the steering wheel so I don't forgot I have roof racks.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-21-20, 12:35 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Forgetting I have bikes on the roof is definitely a priority concern. That's a good reason to mount the rear tire to the rear window- that way you have a constant reminder something is there.
Old 10-21-20, 01:19 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
RockBros is such a sad company it is cheap knockoff products. They couldn't even bother coming up with their own name FFS. I wouldn't trust their products to carry any of my bikes. Plus my bikes are not Garfield and do not ride on suction cups
Completely agree with you on the knock off issue. You don't understand the engineering and design of a product if you just copy it. That can lead to unexpected failures.

On the suction cups - the SeaSucker rack is not my primary rack. It is, however, without peer for a rack if you have to carry your bike on a rental car. I can definitely testify to the solid mount on the car, it's not coming off. Both of our bikes are custom bikes so we're pretty careful with them. I don't worry about them on this rack.

The SeaSucker rack is kind of a PITA for both maintenance and use. Because it goes on and off so easy, we feel like we need to remove it when we are not in the car. Not a huge deal but still another thing to do. You also have to keep an eye on the vacuum pump and the vacuum status of the rack when it's mounted. Again, not a big deal but in the PITA category.

I would much rather have a good hitch rack or heck I would probably trust a good quality trunk rack more than one of those suction cups. I don't like trunk racks and wouldn't use ancient ones or ones found mostly on Amazon. I might put a Thule or Yakima or even Saris trunk rack on my car if absolutely desperate but I would sooner get a hitch and hitch rack or get a roof rack and just put a sticker on the steering wheel so I don't forgot I have roof racks.
Completely agree, but a hitch rack generally means another $200 or so for a trailer hitch and it's not an option in some cases (travel etc...). I don't see this as an either/or situation. You can have and use both.

Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
Forgetting I have bikes on the roof is definitely a priority concern. That's a good reason to mount the rear tire to the rear window- that way you have a constant reminder something is there.
Yeah, it's an issue and a lesson I've learned the hard way. Really, for me, the main issue is when I come home and try and put the car in the garage. My strategies for this are now twofold - put orange plastic cones in my spot in the garage and to put the garage door opener in the glove box. Both necessitate stopping the car to deal with them. I only do this sometimes, for long trips or even most trips, I use a hitch rack.

When I did run my bike into the garage, fortunately I only damaged one rim and the rack. When I was talking with Yakima customer service about the rack, her response was "Don't feel bad, this happens all the time. This is my third one today and I usually get about 10 a week during cycling season." So, yeah, it's a thing. The worst one I've heard of was a friend of my LBS owner who picked up a brand new custom frame, had built it up at the store at which he worked, put it on the car and then promptly drove it to the garage as he got home, destroying the new frame, the wheels and damaging the roof of his car as well as the garage. Never got to ride it. Ooof, that would hurt.

J.
Old 10-21-20, 01:27 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
The worst one I've heard of was a friend of my LBS owner who picked up a brand new custom frame, had built it up at the store at which he worked, put it on the car and then promptly drove it to the garage as he got home, destroying the new frame, the wheels and damaging the roof of his car as well as the garage. Never got to ride it. Ooof, that would hurt.
Painful. If I were the builder or LBS owner, I'd take pity and do what I could to help out with a replacement.
Old 10-21-20, 01:30 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Painful. If I were the builder or LBS owner, I'd take pity and do what I could to help out with a replacement.
Yeah, me too. I don't know what happened later, it was after I took my bike into the shop to get a wheel replacement after I did it. They were just helping me through my cyclist OCD separation anxiety at having damaged my bike.
Old 10-21-20, 01:34 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Yeah, me too. I don't know what happened later, it was after I took my bike into the shop to get a wheel replacement after I did it. They were just helping me through my cyclist OCD separation anxiety at having damaged my bike.
Where was this, out of curiosity? The only shop that I can think of that does custom stuff is the Catfish with Northern. Most of the other builders that I can think of work direct.
Old 10-21-20, 01:37 PM
JohnJ80

Mpls. It was a mechanic at one of the shops who had bought a frame from a guy and then took it back to his bench and had finished building it up. Anyhow, I have the story second hand, so that's all I know about it.

j.
Likes For JohnJ80:
Old 10-22-20, 02:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
Completely agree with you on the knock off issue. You don't understand the engineering and design of a product if you just copy it. That can lead to unexpected failures.

On the suction cups - the SeaSucker rack is not my primary rack. It is, however, without peer for a rack if you have to carry your bike on a rental car. I can definitely testify to the solid mount on the car, it's not coming off. Both of our bikes are custom bikes so we're pretty careful with them. I don't worry about them on this rack.

The SeaSucker rack is kind of a PITA for both maintenance and use. Because it goes on and off so easy, we feel like we need to remove it when we are not in the car. Not a huge deal but still another thing to do. You also have to keep an eye on the vacuum pump and the vacuum status of the rack when it's mounted. Again, not a big deal but in the PITA category.

Completely agree, but a hitch rack generally means another $200 or so for a trailer hitch and it's not an option in some cases (travel etc...). I don't see this as an either/or situation. You can have and use both.

Yeah, it's an issue and a lesson I've learned the hard way. Really, for me, the main issue is when I come home and try and put the car in the garage. My strategies for this are now twofold - put orange plastic cones in my spot in the garage and to put the garage door opener in the glove box. Both necessitate stopping the car to deal with them. I only do this sometimes, for long trips or even most trips, I use a hitch rack.

When I did run my bike into the garage, fortunately I only damaged one rim and the rack. When I was talking with Yakima customer service about the rack, her response was "Don't feel bad, this happens all the time. This is my third one today and I usually get about 10 a week during cycling season." So, yeah, it's a thing. The worst one I've heard of was a friend of my LBS owner who picked up a brand new custom frame, had built it up at the store at which he worked, put it on the car and then promptly drove it to the garage as he got home, destroying the new frame, the wheels and damaging the roof of his car as well as the garage. Never got to ride it. Ooof, that would hurt.

J.
I guess for travel it makes more sense but still the idea of a stronger more advanced Garfield window hanger holding up my bike is tough to swallow. I am sure they are super strong suction cups but I would want some other way of securing it. I am just a bit paranoid about stuff on the car I guess.

Your garage idea is brilliant though. Really smart and if only you could have that at every low crossing with bikes on it.
Old 10-22-20, 03:02 PM
JohnJ80

I guess for travel it makes more sense but still the idea of a stronger more advanced Garfield window hanger holding up my bike is tough to swallow. I am sure they are super strong suction cups but I would want some other way of securing it. I am just a bit paranoid about stuff on the car I guess.

Your garage idea is brilliant though. Really smart and if only you could have that at every low crossing with bikes on it.
The SeaSucker rack would not be my first choice fir a rack. I do think it’s brilliant for travel. On rental cars, I’ve had it up over 80mph and it was solid as a rock. I was a big skeptic on the whole concept when they first came out (on the record) but I was wrong - it is solid and it’s industrial level stuff. So the downside is not whether the design works or not (it does), the downside is that it requires a lot more fiddling around than traditional racks.

The problem with it being on top of the car is the same as any other roof rack. Again, and I agree, it’s the big downside of roof racks but it also comes at a big cost reduction over hitch racks especially if you don’t have a hitch.
Old 10-22-20, 04:52 PM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
The SeaSucker rack would not be my first choice fir a rack. I do think it’s brilliant for travel. On rental cars, I’ve had it up over 80mph and it was solid as a rock. I was a big skeptic on the whole concept when they first came out (on the record) but I was wrong - it is solid and it’s industrial level stuff. So the downside is not whether the design works or not (it does), the downside is that it requires a lot more fiddling around than traditional racks.

The problem with it being on top of the car is the same as any other roof rack. Again, and I agree, it’s the big downside of roof racks but it also comes at a big cost reduction over hitch racks especially if you don’t have a hitch.
I have a Seasucker Roof rack that costs more then ay Hitch rack there is and including putting a hitch on your vehicle. I sure do not see a Seasucker as "CHEAPEER" at a;;; A 2 bike is 400.00 and a 3 bike is over 500 and thats about all a hitch mount rack costs... All my singles are over 300.00
Old 10-22-20, 10:28 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by trekmogul
I have a Seasucker Roof rack that costs more then ay Hitch rack there is and including putting a hitch on your vehicle. I sure do not see a Seasucker as "CHEAPEER" at a;;; A 2 bike is 400.00 and a 3 bike is over 500 and thats about all a hitch mount rack costs... All my singles are over 300.00
not cheaper/same price if you have to install a hitch too.
Old 10-23-20, 03:52 AM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
not cheaper/same price if you have to install a hitch too.
Not the $1400.00 KOMODO Seasucker Rack ..

Old 10-23-20, 07:14 AM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by trekmogul
Not the $1400.00 KOMODO Seasucker Rack ..

agree. Personally, that’s one rack I’d never own.
Old 03-20-21, 02:15 PM
jad3675

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jad3675
I have a Rockbros sucker rack. No complaints - only mod I did was a bit of threadlocker on the bolts. Make sure the roof and suction cups are clean and you shouldn't have an issue. Check the indicators at every stop, though.
I haven't take it on a 500+ mile journey, but I did take it around the I275 loop of Cincinnati - about 90 miles. I stopped once and everything was holding as it should.
Update to this - used the rack to transport my bike 725 miles from Cincinnati to Santa Rosa, Florida over an 11 hour drive. It worked - you could even say it really sucked. I had no issues at all. I'll admit, I was a bit nervous until the first gas stop when I could check everything.

John
Old 03-22-21, 06:54 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
We haven’t had any issues with our Seasucker

OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 03-22-21 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-23-21, 09:18 AM
fifty150

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Allez Elite - Gary Fischer Advanced

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

My SeaSucker Sucks. I use it as my primary rack and never have any issues.