Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

how do you usually cut housings ?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

how do you usually cut housings ?

Old 10-22-20, 04:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Gremlin
That torque wrench looks nice.
It is the Effetto Mariposa Guiztaforza 2-16 Pro if I am not mistaken. I have the Anniversary version of it with a hard case and it is a nice wrench, easy to use but I don't like their longer bits personally they feel a bit wobbly but that isn't inherent to their system whenever you add in bits on top of bits it can be a bit wonky. I may end up with a different bit set which I am planning on anyway and I may look at a different case or use some Kaizen foam (or similar) only to take a smaller foot print in Big Blue

I think I want to go digital though if I decide to change, having used the Snap-On digital wrench I like it a lot and it would better allow me to get to 6.6nm and odd stuff like that.

In terms of current cable housing cutters I use the Jagwire cutter and am looking at probably at some Knipex cutters or maybe Felco but the Jagwire cutter is nice it has an awl at the end to open things back up and has worked pretty well the past couple years I have owned it.
Old 10-22-20, 05:29 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
I use a Parks cutter for the housings and my new $10 single speed Harbor Freight Dremel knock off, w/ enclosed fiber cut off discs, to dress the ends of the housings dead flat. I make the bend and then trim the cable ends flat. This way, there is no play or cable bedding that affects index shifting.
https://www.harborfreight.com/Rotary...4aAmhaEALw_wcB
This HF tool is now part of my cabling tool kit- although not as beautifully kitted up.....
Old 10-22-20, 09:08 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by elcraft
I use a Parks cutter for the housings and my new $10 single speed Harbor Freight Dremel knock off, w/ enclosed fiber cut off discs, to dress the ends of the housings dead flat. I make the bend and then trim the cable ends flat. This way, there is no play or cable bedding that affects index shifting.
https://www.harborfreight.com/Rotary...4aAmhaEALw_wcB
This HF tool is now part of my cabling tool kit- although not as beautifully kitted up.....
No matter what you do the wires of the shift housing will start poking out...hence my feeling it is a waste of time to do anything more than cut as square as I can.
Old 10-22-20, 09:15 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
I cut with Park cable cutters, then finish it off on the disc wheel of a belt sander making sure the end is flush and squared nicely. A couple quick jolts into the disc will square off the end smoothly, without melting the outer jacket. Once cut and squared, an awl to open up the center can be used before installing end caps.
Old 10-23-20, 07:28 AM
Numerozero

Bikes: Downtube 8FH w/ TSD-Z2 motor; Xootr Swift w/DualDrive ; Downtube MiniB

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
Angle Grinder in Benchtop Holder

For brake housing. $25 CAD ($19 USD). Saves my wrists, no need to eyeball angle, get perfect 90 degree cuts every time. Faster and better end product. Already had the grinder. For shift housing: Knipex
Old 10-23-20, 10:29 AM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts
I use Park cutters but I'm just as likely to use 10" Linesman's Pliers. Cleanup with a screwdriver, mini needlenose pliers, whatever is handy.
Old 10-23-20, 12:53 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
I've had the nice Park cutters for years but I really don't think they are much better than a basic pair of snips. I've never owned a Dremel or similar tool to use a cutting wheel but that's the way to go if a person is going to obsess over cutting housing.

One thing I did for awhile was to save old cables and insert them in the housing to prevent crushing when applying the pressure to make the cut.
Likes For Eric S.:
Old 10-24-20, 07:06 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Jagwire cutters, which have an awl in the end of one grip for de-ovalizing the freshly cut housing. And I'll touch up the ends with jeweler's files to deburr and flatten 'em a bit. I'm a klutz with moto tools and break the cutting wheels every dang time, so I only use the grinder bits occasionally. The hand files are quicker, mostly because the moto tool is buried in the closet to keep it safe from klutzes.
Old 10-24-20, 07:42 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
PRO cutter, fine grain bench grinder, awl. All in less than 1 minute.
Old 10-24-20, 11:07 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
No matter what you do the wires of the shift housing will start poking out...hence my feeling it is a waste of time to do anything more than cut as square as I can.
That’s why I prefer the steel ferrules for shift cable housings. The wires don’t poke through if the housing is contoured to its final curvature and the the ends are trimmed flat. The plastic ferrules are unreliable for shift cable housings.
Old 10-25-20, 05:54 AM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I use the Park cable cutter to cut brake and shifter cable housing. For brake housing I check to make sure the cut is good and if not I cut off about 1/4 inch off the end and check again. Usually the cut is fine on the first try but sometimes I have to take a second cut. At that point I use an awl to open the end and change it from oval to round. Shifter housing almost always cuts nicely and then I use an awl to open up the lining and make it round.
Old 10-25-20, 09:13 AM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by elcraft
That’s why I prefer the steel ferrules for shift cable housings. The wires don’t poke through if the housing is contoured to its final curvature and the the ends are trimmed flat. The plastic ferrules are unreliable for shift cable housings.
You should probably let Shimano know about that right away, they've been doing it wrong for years.
Old 10-25-20, 11:12 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3581 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
You should probably let Shimano know about that right away, they've been doing it wrong for years.
Yes, they have, and not for the first time. Remember those pathetic plastic spring shrouds on their V-brakes? Reps used to carry a pocketful of them whenever they visited bike shops because they'd inevitably be assailed by shop owners and mechanics complaining about their unfixable v-brakes.

Just another example of where the bean-counters over-ruled the engineers.
Old 10-25-20, 01:51 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Yes, they have, and not for the first time. Remember those pathetic plastic spring shrouds on their V-brakes? Reps used to carry a pocketful of them whenever they visited bike shops because they'd inevitably be assailed by shop owners and mechanics complaining about their unfixable v-brakes.

Do you mean the Altus CT-90 cantilevers? Those were awful, and it was surprising how long it took Shimano to come out with the CT-91. And they never offered the CT91 shroud as a spare.
Old 10-26-20, 11:25 AM
coopman

Bikes: Specialized Roll Sport Low Entry and Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
I used a pair of heavy duty tin snips. Worked fine for my purposes. They also cut the brake cable cleanly.
Old 10-26-20, 11:26 AM
sabele

Bikes: Basso Loto, Andre Bertain, Schwinn Madison, Litespeed Unicoi, Easton full sustension, Macau non-suspended MTN, Merlin Agilis, A-D Superlicht, Daccordi Piuma, Scott CR1 (former owner Thomas Frischnecht), Van Diesel CX, Alan Top Cross, Scattante CX, Ri

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Park or Shimano cable cutter with a small piece of cable in the housing to maintain the shape during the cut.
Likes For sabele:
Old 10-26-20, 11:32 AM
sabele

Bikes: Basso Loto, Andre Bertain, Schwinn Madison, Litespeed Unicoi, Easton full sustension, Macau non-suspended MTN, Merlin Agilis, A-D Superlicht, Daccordi Piuma, Scott CR1 (former owner Thomas Frischnecht), Van Diesel CX, Alan Top Cross, Scattante CX, Ri

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
The most critical part of cutting the housing is to maintain the housing shape at the cut. No one has mentioned cutting the housing with a piece of cable inserted. I usually measure everything, dry fit with cable in the housing, pull the cable back to a point that results in extra cable when assembled (ie one inch of cable beyond the cut point before cutting), and then cut the housing with cable cutters. No need for side grinders, or other electrical/mechanical contraptions. No fuss no muss.
Likes For sabele:
Old 10-26-20, 11:51 AM
glassman83
Jim

Bikes: '77 Super Le Tour, Bridgestone, Peugeot, ActionBent, Dahon, Trek, & always looking for another interesting bike!

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
At our local Co-op, every bench has a pair of Jagwire WST 028 cutters. Many of us use the Harbor Freight (Pittsburgh) O Ring hook & scribe tool to open up the housing's plastic liner before capping w/ ferrule & inserting the new cable. On occasion, we'll need to trim the brake housing with a bench grinder to remove any burrs. The main thing is to not have a burr rub the new cable. A little shot of grease never hurts, even on a lined housing, especially when the cable is routed upwards to a brake assembly, gravity will ensure that rain will get inside the housing and oxidize a cable if it's not stainless, even worse if the housing isn't lined. We generally re-route those cables to face down. Great question and we hope we helped!
Old 10-26-20, 11:53 AM
glassman83
Jim

Bikes: '77 Super Le Tour, Bridgestone, Peugeot, ActionBent, Dahon, Trek, & always looking for another interesting bike!

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Great tip, thanks for sharing!
Old 10-26-20, 01:50 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by aggiegrads
Do you mean the Altus CT-90 cantilevers? Those were awful, and it was surprising how long it took Shimano to come out with the CT-91. And they never offered the CT91 shroud as a spare.
Apparently it took a while for them to learn from the CT-90 debacle, because they later released a linear-pull (aka "v-brake") with a similar plastic shroud.
Old 10-26-20, 04:13 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson

Uhmmmm, I was joking. I rarely have issues w/ plastic ferrules and they don't get noisy when the housing compresses.
Old 10-27-20, 10:48 AM
Roychol

Bikes: Scott Reflex 3.0/GT Karakoram Elite

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Using a Dremel with a cutoff wheel in recent years. Love the shower of sparks! Small nail for the hole and fine file as needed.
Exactly the same for me.
Old 10-27-20, 11:19 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
When I worked in shops as a young man I used an old pair of VAR cables cutters (still have them) and then file the end flat and ensure there are no burrs to fray/wear the cable. I would wiggle the cable cutter jaws a bit to get them to fit in-between the housing coils while squeezing and then clip. That cuts down on the crushing of the housing.

Another trick is to stick a waste piece of cable in the end then cut the cable and the housing. This prevents crushing but you still need to burr-check.
Old 10-27-20, 12:05 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by drlogik
I would wiggle the cable cutter jaws a bit to get them to fit in-between the housing coils while squeezing and then clip. That cuts down on the crushing of the housing.
In a similar vein, you can bend the housing into a loop before you cut, to allow the coil to open slightly as the cutter slices the housing cover. This helps the cutter blades slip between loops of the housing to cut without creating a burr.
Old 11-17-20, 01:53 AM
comfort rider

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I use a pair of DeWalt side cutters, but any quality side cutter will work. I don’t think there is any magic involved.

I use a bench grinder to square things off. I have a dremel, but it takes more time and I don’t like the flimsy cut-off wheels. The bench grinder is just a flip of a switch.

I have few different choices to open the liner, such as, a square scribe, tie tack, etc.

I’m not a paid bike mechanic and don’t swap out a lot of brake/shift housings, but I’ve done a number in the last 6 mos (Covid projects) and try to use an easy effective way to do it.

John
I'm concerned that a bench grinder will send some finely ground debris down into the cable housing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.