Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Modern lightweight pedals for closed back (Topline) pedal sockets?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-20, 10:53 AM
msl109

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts

Hi folks - finally broke down and bought a new set of Time Xpresso pedals. Went to install them and realized I couldn't use them. My crankset is a Topline - the inner face of the crankarm is closed off - the socket is not accessible. (It's probably done that way to strengthen the arm, as it tapers to a rather narrow end.) I don't want to change out the cranks (they're really like new) and BB. But it seems while I was sleeping, many (most?) pedal manufacturers did away with wrench flats on axles, and the only way to install is with an Allen wrench. So my Time pedals and many more won't work on these cranks. What I'm looking for is a recommendation for a lightweight modern pedal that has wrench flats for installation. Would prefer to stick with the same general type of cleat. Thanks for your help!
Old 10-22-20, 11:48 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
I'm not familiar with how Topline does it, but old-school cranks with closed pedal eyes (e.g. TA, Campagnolo, etc.) used press-fit caps to close the pedal eye. If that's what Topline does, perhaps push out the caps, install the pedals and (optionally) press the caps back in place. Failing that, you could drill a hole through the piece to give access to an Allen wrench.
Old 10-22-20, 02:25 PM
msl109

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I'm not familiar with how Topline does it, but old-school cranks with closed pedal eyes (e.g. TA, Campagnolo, etc.) used press-fit caps to close the pedal eye. If that's what Topline does, perhaps push out the caps, install the pedals and (optionally) press the caps back in place. Failing that, you could drill a hole through the piece to give access to an Allen wrench.
If only there were press fit caps - no, it's one piece, and drilling would probably compromise the structural integrity of the crank. I'd change the crank before doing that. I can sell the pedals for most of what I paid or use them on another bike. I'm just looking for an alternative pedal that has wrench flats. Here's the crank end in the pic below.
They compromised - gave up the open end for aesthetics or possibly aerodynamics. I doubt any company would do this today. Then (about '94?) most pedals had flats in addition to an allen socket, if they had any Allen socket.

Closed inside face of Topline crank - no Allen-wrench-only pedals allowed ....

Last edited by msl109; 10-22-20 at 02:28 PM.
Likes For msl109:
Old 10-22-20, 02:35 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Speedplay. Not the same type of cleat the OP wants but lightweight and most if not all their pedals have wrench flats. SPEEDPLAY : HIGH PERFORMANCE PEDALS
Old 10-22-20, 02:50 PM
msl109

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Speedplay. Not the same type of cleat the OP wants but lightweight and most if not all their pedals have wrench flats. SPEEDPLAY : HIGH PERFORMANCE PEDALS
Good call - Speedplays are what's on there now - I just don't love them.
Old 10-22-20, 03:33 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Most of the lower tier Shimano pedals still have wrench flats. It's only the Ultegra/DA level that have dropped them (for weight).
Likes For gsa103:
Old 10-22-20, 05:44 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by msl109
If only there were press fit caps - no, it's one piece, and drilling would probably compromise the structural integrity of the crank.
Drilling an access hole is unlikely to be a structural concern; virtually every other crank on the market has fully open pedal eyes, after all.
Old 10-22-20, 07:08 PM
msl109

Originally Posted by gsa103
Most of the lower tier Shimano pedals still have wrench flats. It's only the Ultegra/DA level that have dropped them (for weight).
And unfortunately, that's what I'm looking for - it's a 17.5 lb Ti Serotta that I don't want to make any heavier.
Old 10-22-20, 07:13 PM
msl109

Drilling an access hole is unlikely to be a structural concern; virtually every other crank on the market has fully open pedal eyes, after all.
It may be hard to tell from the picture, but there isn't much material at all surrounding the socket and they're known to crack when overtorqued and ridden hard. See pic below

Cracked end of Topline cranks (not the one I'm posting about) Just to illustrate why Topline may have chosen to close the back - reinforcement.
My hunch is they made the sockets blind in part to compensate for the narrow tapered ends.

Last edited by msl109; 10-22-20 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 10-22-20, 09:18 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
It absolutely is on these cranks. They're 300 grams! That's roughly the same as the hollowed out Cannondale Hollowgram SiSL2 cranks that are bonded together... Aluminum arms, remember.
Attached Images
Old 10-23-20, 06:47 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Most non high-end shimano pedals have them.

IMO, all pedals should have them. It's lots of fun to remove a stuck pedal that only has an allen socket that gets rounded with a minuscule amount of force.
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 10-23-20, 07:31 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

It may be hard to tell from the picture, but there isn't much material at all surrounding the socket and they're known to crack when overtorqued and ridden hard. See pic below

Cracked end of Topline cranks (not the one I'm posting about) Just to illustrate why Topline may have chosen to close the back - reinforcement.
My hunch is they made the sockets blind in part to compensate for the narrow tapered ends.
Your picture shows a crack at the spindle opening, not the pedal opening. The square broach for the spindle creates a stress riser from which a crack can propagate. A round opening at the pedal eye is far less likely to create such a stress riser.
Old 10-23-20, 08:49 AM
msl109

Your picture shows a crack at the spindle opening, not the pedal opening. The square broach for the spindle creates a stress riser from which a crack can propagate. A round opening at the pedal eye is far less likely to create such a stress riser.
Right you are - I didn't catch the square taper in that pic and had the wrong end of the dog bone - indeed the square broach would be a more likely inroad for that sort of failure, but that type of crack is what I was concerned with...

If this were my only crankset and I had no option, I'd think about drilling it, but it's barely used, a really nicely machined piece, and I'd rather swap it out to another bike where I use quill pedals and clips.

Still would like to know if anyone knows of a modern Look or similar pedal that still has wrench flats. I have no problem with a low mileage used older set from 2,3, 5 years back if it's still relatively light.
Old 10-23-20, 08:58 AM
msl109

[QUOTE=Ferrouscious;21755979]It absolutely is on these cranks. They're 300 grams! That's roughly the same as the hollowed out Cannondale Hollowgram SiSL2 cranks that are bonded together... Aluminum arms, remember.[/build.

That's what I was thinking - aluminum machined to be ultra lightweight, even by today's standards. The cranks belonged to a friend of mine who built himself a 19lb 58cm steel machine (Ritchey Logic Prestige tubing) in '94. He moved to Seattle within a month of the build, changed the cranks out for a Campy triple for the terrain there. He kept the Toplines under the bed until he gifted them to me a couple years back for my Serotta bulld, which I've so far kept carbon-free But I'm ok with carbon pedals.

Last edited by msl109; 10-23-20 at 09:21 AM.
Old 10-23-20, 09:17 AM
msl109

Originally Posted by Amt0571
Most non high-end shimano pedals have them.

IMO, all pedals should have them. It's lots of fun to remove a stuck pedal that only has an allen socket that gets rounded with a minuscule amount of force.
Agreed - it's always good to have a second option when there's a potential a part may become stuck. I've had very well greased threads on a new pedal and new crank seize by the end of one season, without any water exposure or overtightening during installation.
And I wish my old quill pedals had the Allen socket in addition to the flat!
I think the change in the practice is mainly about aesthetics. Yes, I suppose it could be argued that wrench flats are less aerodynamic, but I'll go out on a limb and guess that's negligible overall for 99 percent of us?
Old 10-23-20, 09:18 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
With the amount of trouble I have had with removing some pedals even with wrench flats I wouldn't want to deal with allen key only pedals.
Old 10-23-20, 09:27 AM
msl109

Originally Posted by JaccoW
With the amount of trouble I have had with removing some pedals even with wrench flats I wouldn't want to deal with allen key only pedals.
Absolutely. I like the Allen sockets, but only as a second option or for convenience in installation. Perhaps we can start petitioning manufacturers. Wonder how many mechanics have strong feelings about this?
Likes For msl109:
Old 10-26-20, 10:56 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
I think the change in the practice is mainly about aesthetics. Yes, I suppose it could be argued that wrench flats are less aerodynamic, but I'll go out on a limb and guess that's negligible overall for 99 percent of us?
It's about weight. The extra metal for the wrench flats probably adds ~15-20g to the pedal, compared with a tapered spindle. A hex socket removes weight. And there's plenty of options, if you don't care about weight. For reference, a 105 pedal is 265g, Ultegra 248g, DA 228g. And RS500 pedals (with the wrench flats) is 320g. So Shimano could make a DA pedal with flats, but it would likely weigh as much or more than a 105 pedal.