Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Buying a Crankset-Based Power Meter These Days

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Buying a Crankset-Based Power Meter These Days

Old 09-28-20, 11:10 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
That looks like a decent (and relatively affordable) idea. Hadn't see that before, thanks.
A friend of mine got them for his randonneuring bike. He's really happy with them.
Old 09-28-20, 11:15 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33
So, for various reasons, I'm in the market for a crankset-based, dual-sided, PM (Shimano compatible). I've looked for
  1. Pioneer - They shut down their op and sold to Shimano earlier this year apparently. ("out of stock. Discontinued")
  2. 4iiii - Every option is "out of stock"
  3. Stages - You guessed it; "out of stock"
  4. Shimano - I've heard there are some issues (from GP Llama specifically).
At this point, I'm thinking I'm just going to have to wait it out, but I thought I'd check here and see if you guys have any ideas.
I'm looking for dual power and Shimano compatible. The bike is a 2020 Domane (with the newer style BB).
Thanks!
Excel and PowermeterCity both seem to have some versions/sizes of the Ultegra and/or DuraAce Stages 2-sideds left. You didn't mention though what crankarm length or chainring combo you wanted though.
Old 09-28-20, 11:33 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Re: Stages dual side crank PM

I agree with all the information above. Aside from the studies showing the inaccuracy of the drive side due to the how Shimano designs their cranks....I have a buddy who was adamant on getting a dual, because he suffered from an injury that caused one leg to be weaker than the other. Guess how the R/L balance/TE/Smoothness helped? It didn't, and it didn't change the way he rides. He just replaces the batteries a lot sooner than I do on my non-drive side cranks.

Are you adverse to getting pedals like Assimoa? You have to use Look style cleats, but I've read nothing but good things about them.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 09-28-20, 11:41 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,131 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
This is a good point. Presumably, riders with two legs would set progressive targets for the weak side and monitor progress.

Anecdotally, I’m a neurologist with a research background in neurorehabilitation and partial atrophy of the left quad from an old disc herniation. All I do is force myself to use that leg hard on the bike and in the gym and watch the bulk come slowly back over the years.
Both I and my friend had several years of power data prior to our injuries. In both cases, we didn't really set progressive targets for the weak side; in both cases we just set targets for total power. It was easy to see that our total power had dropped, it was easy to see when it recovered. My friend eventually surpassed his pre-injury FTP though, admittedly, his sprint never recovered to his two-legged sprint. After the sciatica episode, I (evenutally) regained both my pre-injury FTP and pre-injury sprint; I can't say the same about the head trauma. I'm down a bit on both FTP and sprint, but I don't particularly blame bilateral asymmetry for that.

[Edited to add:] As an aside, my friend doesn't pay attention to "pedaling dynamics" or "pedaling smoothness" metrics. He can't pedal circles -- he'd yank his prosthesis off if he tried pulling up. All he can do with his prosthetic leg is push down, so he pushes down hard. As I mentioned, he eventually surpassed his pre-injury FTP.

Last edited by RChung; 09-28-20 at 11:54 AM.
Likes For RChung:
Old 09-28-20, 11:47 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Originally Posted by datlas
I know someone who works for a certain company that rhymes with "ages" and he admits that they sell double-sided meters purely for customer satisfaction, and that single sided are all anyone really needs.
It doesn't surprise me that they say that. However, I've worked with several riders who think drag measurement is important. I've had poor luck with getting precise measurements from single-sided power meters. When Team Sky/Ineos riders (who famously used Stages power meters during races) needed to do drag measurement on the track, they always switched to power meters that measured total power.
Old 09-28-20, 11:48 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Are you asking what I would do, or are you passive-aggressively setting up the expectation for having a peer-reviewed journal study?
My goodness gracious.
Old 09-28-20, 01:42 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10147 Post(s)
Liked 5,840 Times in 3,144 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
Both I and my friend had several years of power data prior to our injuries. In both cases, we didn't really set progressive targets for the weak side; in both cases we just set targets for total power. It was easy to see that our total power had dropped, it was easy to see when it recovered. My friend eventually surpassed his pre-injury FTP though, admittedly, his sprint never recovered to his two-legged sprint. After the sciatica episode, I (evenutally) regained both my pre-injury FTP and pre-injury sprint; I can't say the same about the head trauma. I'm down a bit on both FTP and sprint, but I don't particularly blame bilateral asymmetry for that.

[Edited to add:] As an aside, my friend doesn't pay attention to "pedaling dynamics" or "pedaling smoothness" metrics. He can't pedal circles -- he'd yank his prosthesis off if he tried pulling up. All he can do with his prosthetic leg is push down, so he pushes down hard. As I mentioned, he eventually surpassed his pre-injury FTP.
I haven’t studied the subject, but I am aware of no data to suggest that complete pedaling symmetry is even desirable. Look at elite swimmers who all do free and back lopsided. As for the circles, it’s good to be smooth, but that also sounds biomechanically inefficient after a point.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 09-28-20, 03:26 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Oh come off it - the last three or so times you've replied to me were to ridicule me, so when you phrase the question like that I couldn't help but wonder what your intentions were. I didn't want to ignore you, but wasn't going to open myself up to another helping of that.

So it seems obvious - if my right leg is injured and I go from generally 49-51 to 55-45, then to believe I'm fully "recovered" I'd want to not only see my power return to normal, but to see my balance back to 49-51 as an indication that my left leg isn't just overcompensating. If you don't think that would work, well... I don't know what to tell you. It's what I'd do. but I don't care enough to use a true dual-sided PM.
Hmmm. If you think I'm ridiculing you, it's very possible I'm guilty but, I assure you, if there's a pattern it's not intentional. You don't have a high enough profile in my mind to keep track of the things you write. So I suppose if it has happened repeatedly, each event was independent.

But in this case, I don't think I was doing that. I don't understand how one would use separate left/right information for rehab purposes. My daughter studies ballet, and she injured her right foot a couple of years ago. When she came out of the cast, her right leg was weaker but she just worked on it until she could dance as well as before, with right leg as with left. There is no power meter in ballet, yet her rehab has been pretty successful.
Old 09-28-20, 03:51 PM
Princess_Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Rchung and Bah Humbug beefin' !
In the few posts I've made since joining ~1.5yr ago, I got my own taste with WhyFi....sometimes people just need to vent their real-life frustrations thru keyboard warrioring

On Topic: I did some basic research of my own on power meters and found that at the amateur/enthusiast level, it's more economical, as well as no-more beneficial to use dual-sided power. I also wanted to retain the use of my SPD-SL cleats. The choice was obvious: Stages gen3 r7k 105
Old 09-28-20, 03:53 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Hmmm. If you think I'm ridiculing you, it's very possible I'm guilty but, I assure you, if there's a pattern it's not intentional. You don't have a high enough profile in my mind to keep track of the things you write. So I suppose if it has happened repeatedly, each event was independent.

But in this case, I don't think I was doing that. I don't understand how one would use separate left/right information for rehab purposes. My daughter studies ballet, and she injured her right foot a couple of years ago. When she came out of the cast, her right leg was weaker but she just worked on it until she could dance as well as before, with right leg as with left. There is no power meter in ballet, yet her rehab has been pretty successful.
I didn't mean the data would be used to aid the rehab, but I would like to know when the balance returned to pre-injury baseline. Wouldn't it be nice to have more precise and specific numbers to place on your daughter's power and agility while dancing to determine when she's healthy again instead of just "yeah she seems to be doing as well as before"?

And here's the problem: you seem to be thinking I'm claiming balance is required for rehab (otherwise, a counterexample doesn't really mean anything), and that's not what I said. However, I can't help but feel like you're trying to set it up such that it looks like that is what I said, and then prove me wrong. Which is exactly what I was alluding to with my first reply, and why I dread seeing your name enter my quotes.

The bolded part doesn't really help, either.
Old 09-28-20, 04:20 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,801 Posts
My legs will probably forever be unbalanced (lost the top half of my right fibula and had to have my LCL, hamstring, and gastrocnemius attachments moved as a result). Not sure what the imbalance is, but, as long as I have normal gait and am able to increase power, I'm good with seeing overall improvements. For Zwifting, a solo, left-side meter might make me appear faster.
Old 09-28-20, 08:04 PM
Hapsmo911

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Quarq with DA rings and Quarq arms... no issues
Old 09-28-20, 08:48 PM
spike48

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another satisfied Power2max user here. I looked at Assiomas but didn’t want to give up my Speedplay cleats.
Old 09-29-20, 11:43 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
my 7 years old Quarq riken is still going strong, kinda wish it would just die so i can save another 100g for a lighter crank
Likes For Chi_Z:
Old 09-30-20, 01:57 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I have had, at one point, 5 Quarqs (one per bike) and am down to 3 now (well, 2 as I just sold one and am replacing it with a Power2Max for no reason other than FOMO). Quarqs batteries last a while and the damn things just work without issues. I am very happy with them - and side note, if you buy from Bicycle Doctor USA, you get very attractive rates on them. Everything I have read about P2M indicates that they work just as well.

I got me a Stages left side PM way back when they first came out, as a cheaper option for my rain bike. It gave me a power number that was WAY off, compared to the Quarqs on my other bike, and I ended up selling it off.

One interesting thing I just learned about the Quarqs - the newer DZero power meter spiders apparently DO fit the newer Red GXP cranks, if you dont want to go the DUB route. Their website doesnt say this, but Andrew from their customer service team confirmed it for me.

I've never understood how one would use that information even if rehabbing from a serious injury. I've had to rehab from two semi-serious injuries over the years that I've had a (total power measuring) power meter and I'm not sure how that information would have helped. Can you explain? I also have a friend who had to have one leg amputated slightly above the knee. How could he have used specfiic sided information to aid his rehab?
So I seem to have a nerve issue in my right leg that's been acting up (sports injury related). I do monitor my leg balance to see if there is a significant change that might indicate a worsening of things. It wont necessarily help me with rehab, but it can provide some info as to whether there is a change.

Last edited by guadzilla; 09-30-20 at 02:11 AM.
Old 09-30-20, 11:39 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,465 Posts
SMH Some of you guys squabble too much . . . some are over sensitive, some just like to squabble looking for street cred. I'd appreciate it if you'd stop messing up other's threads.

(I've got the names, I've made a list, consider this a preliminary warning. )
Old 09-30-20, 12:48 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
some just like to squabble looking for street cred.
Thread cred?!
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 09-30-20, 02:18 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Some of you guys squabble too much . . . some are over sensitive, some just like to squabble looking for street cred. I'd appreciate it if you'd stop messing up other's threads.

(I've got the names, I've made a list, consider this a preliminary warning. )
I haven't posted in this thread, but can I get on the list? I just made parole and I could use all the street cred I can get.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-30-20, 02:34 PM
MoAlpha
• —

I'll see all of you in the virtual parking lot!
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 09-30-20, 04:20 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
I'll see all of you in the virtual parking lot!
I bet my hammer is bigger than yours.
Old 09-30-20, 04:44 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
I bet my hammer is bigger than yours.
unless you're Thor, I highly doubt that
Old 09-30-20, 04:46 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
unless you're Thor, I highly doubt that
I'm tho thor I can hardly walk.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 09-30-20, 07:39 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
I'm tho thor I can hardly walk.
I see your queen's square and raise you.

Old 09-30-20, 11:17 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Quarqs batteries last a while and the damn things just work without issues.
Me and my big ducking mouth. I couldnt just leave well alone, could I? So of course today my Quarq's battery ran out midway through my last FTP interval. First time it has happened in nearly 10 years of using the damned things.
Old 10-01-20, 04:12 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by ridethecliche
I see your queen's square and raise you.

Very nice. Thats a Trömner, no?

Do you have a rumpled blazer, a food-stained tie, cheap shoes, and no social skills like me?

Last edited by MoAlpha; 10-01-20 at 04:19 AM.
Likes For MoAlpha:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.