Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ever get pulled over on your bicycle?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-19-20, 11:44 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,424 Times in 2,825 Posts

A few years back, my wife, who loves to blast down hills at insane speeds, got pulled over after being radared by a motorcycle cop. There was a golf tournament going on a few blocks away with lots of police providing security and traffic management, when she got popped for doing 42 in a 35. She pulled over next to two other cops while the first one started writing her up. The other two started laughing at the first cop so loudly, he turned red, ripped up the ticket and gave her a warning. She could hear them still laughing as she rode away.

I was also radared going downhill during RAMROD by park police for doing 39 in a 35. I saw them when doing 45 and managed to slow down by the time they clocked me. They took my info, let me off with a warning, and told the next one will cost.

Old 10-20-20, 12:19 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
I'm no cippolini, but I got pulled over once for riding my bike on the highway in CT.

I wasn't trying to get extra good training in ala cipo, but my car broke down after a race and that was the only way I knew how to get home.

He wasn't pleased with my reasoning... Oh to be 18 again.
Old 10-20-20, 04:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,287 Times in 7,226 Posts
When I was a teenager I was pulled over, handcuffed, pulled off my bike and arrested for allegedly riding on a city street that was closed to vehicles and for allegedly cursing at the cop. Thing was, the street was temporarily open to vehicles for a special event in town, and I didn’t curse at the cop but rather my friend who stopped short in front of me.

Dad was a noted criminal defense attorney in the city. We fought the ticket in court. Case dismissed.
Old 10-20-20, 04:47 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Several times as a kid, riding on the highway to Jones Beach and coming back from Montauk on Long Island - bikes not allowed on either.

As an adult, once in DC I was stopped for not fully stopping at a stop sign! I didn't run it but I didn't put my feet down, either. When he asked for ID I truthfully replied that I didn't carry my wallet and there wasn't much he could do but give me a stern warning.

Another time, I was driving somewhere with the bike on the back of my car and it has hanging in front of a license plate. There was a long line of cars in the right turn lane, including a police car, and I was going to go straight but an opening appeared so I moved (annoyingly, but perfectly legally) into the right lane. A few blocks after the turn, lights and siren behind me - the police officer pulled me over and I prepared my defense for the turn. Instead he told me my bike was blocking visibility of my license plate and he was going to write me a ticket. Luckily, the local bike advocacy group had recently put out an article on that - Maryland has no such law. I pointed that out and he said "Well, I could also get you for that illegal turn" - aha, that's what it was really about! But, just another warning.

Final one wasn't a pullover: in my younger days I would really fly downhill and I was doing so on a nice smooth shoulder next to a major road. A police car pulled up next to me, honked and he flashed five fingers, then two fingers, then thumbs up! I guess he clocked me at 52 mph which had to be an exaggeration but I still claim that speed today!
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 10-20-20, 05:39 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I was pulled over and ticketed for failing to observe/obey a traffic signal. I had jumped a green by ~1 second to cross a busy highway. The motorcycle policeman would not discuss it with me. Hefty ticket. Thanks, Sgt Nugent...
Old 10-20-20, 05:53 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
When I was a teenager I was pulled over, handcuffed, pulled off my bike and arrested for allegedly riding on a city street that was closed to vehicles and for allegedly cursing at the cop. Thing was, the street was temporarily open to vehicles for a special event in town, and I didn’t curse at the cop but rather my friend who stopped short in front of me.

Dad was a noted criminal defense attorney in the city. We fought the ticket in court. Case dismissed.
"Having a dad that was a lawyer, was better than being President of the United States!"

Only once for me. I was making a left turn and there were a bunch of cars coming on my right, so I made a mad dash to make my turn before they got there. Turn was successful, but a block later i hear a police siren whelp. Cop says, "The reason I stopped you, was because when you made that left turn, you went directly into the #2 lane instead of the #1 lane." If that was the case, he should have been pulling over about 50% of the cars making that same turn the same way. Damned small town cops. I hated them then and still do.

I will never know the real reason he pulled me over, but it's a moot point since i just got a warning. I was "holding" a Penthouse magazine in my backpack at the time, but fortunately I wasn't searched.
Old 10-20-20, 06:44 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,872 Times in 4,637 Posts
If I got a speeding ticket while riding my bike, I would frame it and hang it on the wall.
Old 10-20-20, 06:46 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
I have yet to be "pulled over" while riding a bike :-). I have, on occasion, committed infractions (moving violations) that would clearly have resulted in a "ticket" if witnessed by a law enforcement officer. Lucky so far I guess! If I ever do get stopped, I won't be using my Driver's License for identification. I may get the ticket and may have to pay a fine but I'm of the opinion that since I'm not operating a motor vehicle, it won't go against my DL and result in increased insurance rates. Don't know if it's "fact or fiction" but that's my plan .
Old 10-20-20, 07:10 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
I got pulled over once for riding on a military base with a "camera" on my helmet. I showed him how the headlight worked, dazzling the MP, who let me go after reminding me about the camera policy.
Old 10-20-20, 07:35 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Once recently by Whittier Police. Turns out another cyclist had called to make a complaint about a driver harassing them. LEO just wanted to check if I was harassed and was looking for vehicle and driver info.
Old 10-20-20, 07:42 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
I've run stop signs and red lights in front of cops and never been stopped. Our hills are not steep enough that I could ever manage a speeding ticket.
Old 10-20-20, 07:45 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Rolling a read light in a group. I was the front man and was polite and just responded with "Yes, Sir", "You are completely correct officer", etc..... This was a rich neighborhood on the north shore of Long Island, where the residents hate the Sat & Sun morning cycling clubs riding "their" streets, thus the cops had a hard on for cyclists and would await at certain intersections. We were wrong, but got a warning. I think the cop didn't want to write 10 ticket, too much work.
Old 10-20-20, 07:48 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Only once for me. I was making a left turn and there were a bunch of cars coming on my right, so I made a mad dash to make my turn before they got there. Turn was successful, but a block later i hear a police siren whelp. Cop says, "The reason I stopped you, was because when you made that left turn, you went directly into the #2 lane instead of the #1 lane." If that was the case, he should have been pulling over about 50% of the cars making that same turn the same way. Damned small town cops. I hated them then and still do.
In my state, we have a FRAP law, so I would have argued that I was trying to stay as far right as practical under the law.
Old 10-20-20, 08:00 AM
John Valuk

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I got pulled over once for riding on a military base with a "camera" on my helmet. I showed him how the headlight worked, dazzling the MP, who let me go after reminding me about the camera policy.
What you relate here is just so classic:
  1. Authority asserts that you are doing Wrong Thing.
  2. Authority learns that you were in fact not doing Wrong Thing.
  3. Authority lectures you about the wrongness of Wrong Thing you did not do, warning you not to do Wrong Thing in the future, or it will go hard with you.
Respect mah authoritah!
Likes For John Valuk:
Old 10-20-20, 08:15 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
one time I was on the interstate, seeing how long I could draft off an 18 wheeler. Made it to the next town
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 10-20-20, 09:29 AM
EviLDORK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Canondale Synapse, Canondale Touring 1, Salsa Mukluk, Masi Uno, Trek 850

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I was told to get on the sidewalk by police directing traffic around the Wisconsin State Fair on two separate occasions. I wasn't ticketed or even identified. It's illegal to bicycle on sidewalks in this state and that part of 84th St is technically part of the Oak Leaf Trail, but I ended up walking my bike on the sidewalk to avoid both arguing with the cops and breaking the law.
Likes For EviLDORK:
Old 10-20-20, 09:29 AM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Pullled over growing up in London for not having lights after dark. Was late back from school or something.

Mind you, not like those old 2 D-Cell battery lights cast any ACTUAL light!
Likes For expatbrit:
Old 10-20-20, 09:57 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
"Having a dad that was a lawyer, was better than being President of the United States!"
If its in a national park, you could get a pardon.

Just wait there will be plenty of them handed out int he beginning of January.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-20-20, 10:24 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,009 Posts
Pulled over by DPS years ago just to tell me if I was you don’t ride this road. Too many drunks traveling from the local lake. Took a different route.
Old 10-20-20, 10:29 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,872 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
Pulled over by DPS years ago just to tell me if I was you don’t ride this road. Too many drunks traveling from the local lake. Took a different route.
I hope you thanked that cop. That's useful info.
Old 10-20-20, 10:33 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I got pulled over once. Cited for 'running a red light' because I stood up on the pedals just before the light actually changed. I don't think my front wheel was actually anywhere close to being over the line and I wasn't near being in the intersection, either.

Cops suck. I fought the ticket and got it dismissed.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 10-20-20, 12:16 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Several times. Ticket for running 4 way stop. Once touring on Hwy 1 in California around Watsonville, it turns into a freeway for 5 miles. I decided to 'go for it.' Car was honking at me and I ignored it... kept honking and I finally turned around and it was a CA Hwy Patrol. Told me to get off and go west to the ocean.... really good camping there. Was really nice to me.

I finally asked a retired cop how do you keep from getting pulled over.. said "if you run a stop sign or something and see the cop sitting off to the side waiting on cars to run the stop, hold up 4 fingers." It's a 10-4 sign, meaning everything is good. The cop will think you are another cop, and cops don't want to pull over other cops. It's worked 4 times for me.... although the last time it was a sheriff and he started up and followed me for a couple miles and gave me a dirty look.
Old 10-20-20, 12:37 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
I finally asked a retired cop how do you keep from getting pulled over.. said "if you run a stop sign or something and see the cop sitting off to the side waiting on cars to run the stop, hold up 4 fingers." It's a 10-4 sign, meaning everything is good. The cop will think you are another cop, and cops don't want to pull over other cops. It's worked 4 times for me.... although the last time it was a sheriff and he started up and followed me for a couple miles and gave me a dirty look.
If you want to meet them in person, hold up one finger. I bet they might even show you how their taser works.
Old 10-20-20, 12:59 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
I've been stopped a couple times in Las Vegas but not because of my own activity. One time the police asked if I'd seen anyone of a description they gave me, the other time they asked if I'd heard any gunshots or screaming.

I was once riding through a 15mph school zone and a motorcycle cop yelled out "18".
Likes For Eric S.:
Old 10-20-20, 01:27 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 224 Posts
3 times, that I remember:

1-group ride and we turned very slowly, but not a full stop through a stop sign in a small town. A few miles later, we were pulled over by the mayor himself! Since that town had only mayor's court, he couldn't file the charge and also be the judge, so he radioed his deputy and told him to file the charges. He refused, the mayor was pissed and we eventually rode away with a stern warning.

2-Trek Travel Going to the Sun Road in Montana. The side after the downhill was supposed to be closed to bikes after a certain time, but the Trek leaders assured us that they never enforce it. Well, they did that day and we were forced to wait it out on the banks of a mountain lake, feet in water. Not so bad. Guides apologized and picked up the bar tab that night. We got a good deal.

3-Riding solo on a county road that crossed over the interstate. No other way to go on. State Highway Patrol, sirens blaring comes flying up and pulls me over. I was about to explain, when he goes into this long story about how he is thinking about buying a road bike and wanted advice on kind of pedals, tires, frames, pumps. Eventually I had to excuse myself as I was already late for a big family dinner.

So 3 good outcomes, but I would love to get a speeding ticket. I'd frame it and brag forever.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.