Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hot r Not

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hot r Not

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-14, 11:14 PM
slowjamz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gc3
You've got a stalker...
I <3 my whoooshy baby
Old 04-21-14, 01:44 AM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by slowjamz
I <3 my whoooshy baby
I just hope you're sock puppet of velo gator and not that gun nut solo assassin...
Old 04-21-14, 07:53 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13707 Post(s)
Liked 4,523 Times in 2,502 Posts
Originally Posted by WHOOOSSHHH...
Sworks Allez
hot
Old 04-21-14, 07:56 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by raqball
My 2013 Specialized Sirrus Limited SL4.. They made 300 of them and mine is SN # 54

Nice bike. But "not".
Old 04-21-14, 08:00 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

LYNSKEY with some new parts...

hot
Old 04-21-14, 08:02 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Team Sarcasm

Blue caad9 frame is always hot (too me). I could care less about your bar height cause that's a personal fit issue, but those tires are not
hot
Old 04-21-14, 08:34 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Team Sarcasm

Blue caad9 frame is always hot (too me). I could care less about your bar height cause that's a personal fit issue, but those tires are not
I know that we're going with the kinder, gentler Hot or Not, but I have to give this a 'not.' I rarely criticize fit-related stuff, but at a certain point I have to question whether a person has the right bike for them - IMO we're close to (if not beyond) that point, here; with the hoods being perched above the saddle, I can only imagine that a rider would be in a most aero-defeating upright position.
Old 04-21-14, 08:57 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11960 Post(s)
Liked 6,629 Times in 3,477 Posts
Yeah, but what if he doesn't care about that? I'm not saying it shouldn't be commented on. It's fine to mention it, and question it in passing, and you can quote me on that. But it has little to do with how the bike looks. If it's uncomfortable or un-aero, that's his problem. It may not be uncomfortable or un-aero to him at all is all I'm saying. The guys back may be a total wreck and he has to ride that way, who knows. Or he may just prefer the upright position. Could be lots of things.

Last edited by BillyD; 04-21-14 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-21-14, 09:21 AM
thirdgenbird

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Yeah, but what if he doesn't care about that? I'm not saying it shouldn't be commented on. It's fine to mention it, and question it in passing, and you can quote me on that. But it has little to do with how the bike looks. If it's uncomfortable or un-aero, that's his problem. It may not be uncomfortable or un-aero to him at all is all I'm saying. The guys back may be a total wreck and he has to ride that way, who knows. Or he may just prefer the upright position. Could be lots of things.
It most certainly does. Overall bike proportions are one of the key elements in appearance, often more so than actual component selection.

his back may mandate the fit (that's fine, it really is) but that doesn't mean it doesn't effect appearance. It sounds like the owner knows this and doesn't care. No need to protect him.
Old 04-21-14, 09:28 AM
WhyFi

^^^Bingo.
Old 04-21-14, 09:34 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11398 Post(s)
Liked 4,743 Times in 2,763 Posts
If a bike does not appeal to me, it's my choice to give it a not. The reasons why are mine, and mine only. Same with a hot.
Old 04-21-14, 09:40 AM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
It most certainly does. Overall bike proportions are one of the key elements in appearance, often more so than actual component selection.

his back may mandate the fit (that's fine, it really is) but that doesn't mean it doesn't effect appearance. It sounds like the owner knows this and doesn't care. No need to protect him.
That's why you get to vote hot or not. Although I set my bikes up an little bit differently I found the bike to be hot. For example one person here said the only thing wrong with my Lynsky that he would change was the frame. I had no problem with that all, except that I wish he had told me that before I spent 80 hours polishing the damn thing. Because he had a different opinion than me I would have thrown it in the trash... Don't try to reinvent the wheel vote hot or not and let it go at that. There are certain posters here who I really enjoy getting a thumbs up from... The others my builds are not their cup of tea... I respect that... Unless they are too hateful and then I would like to whop them upside the head..
Old 04-21-14, 09:46 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts

That is exactly why slammed stems are generally ugly.
Old 04-21-14, 09:47 AM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Guess I am just a happy and positive kind of guy.. I think every bike is hot!

If the owner likes it and rides it = that makes it hot!

Old 04-21-14, 09:56 AM
BillyD
Administrator

that doesn't mean it doesn't effect appearance. It sounds like the owner knows this and doesn't care. No need to protect him.
That's not the issue. The issue is IT'S YOUR OPINION. It's YOUR viewpoint. And it may be totally different than his, and just because your opinion is different than his doesn't make it better than his, doesn't give you the right to insult him. It doesn't give you the right to believe you're superior to him, more knowledgeable than him, or a better cyclist than him.

I mean, you can believe these things all you want, but you can't treat him that way. Not here!

You see, this is not just an issue here in this thread, it just gets more concentrated here. It's a problem on the whole forum. And not just this forum, on many or maybe most forums. Just because people see things differently doesn't give them justification to start attacking one another. You got a different viewpoint than someone else? Big deal, that's ingrained in human nature. But starting a squabble about it only happens on forums . . . in real life you would have to weigh the consequences. And then you might have to change your behavior, or else.

So maybe you have to imagine the guy is standing in front of you. Maybe that'll help. it's just YOUR. OPINION. VS. HIS.
Old 04-21-14, 10:00 AM
WhyFi

Seeing as no one has attacked anyone else, isn't this a wee bit premature?

Last edited by WhyFi; 04-21-14 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-21-14, 10:03 AM
Theboss13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I know that we're going with the kinder, gentler Hot or Not, but I have to give this a 'not.' I rarely criticize fit-related stuff, but at a certain point I have to question whether a person has the right bike for them - IMO we're close to (if not beyond) that point, here; with the hoods being perched above the saddle, I can only imagine that a rider would be in a most aero-defeating upright position.
Again.....still working on fit.........but how much of a difference would it make to have the seat up higher......I had a giant with the correct fit and my comfortable pace bumped from 17 to 19.
Old 04-21-14, 10:04 AM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That's why you get to vote hot or not. Although I set my bikes up an little bit differently I found the bike to be hot. For example one person here said the only thing wrong with my Lynsky that he would change was the frame. I had no problem with that all, except that I wish he had told me that before I spent 80 hours polishing the damn thing. Because he had a different opinion than me I would have thrown it in the trash... Don't try to reinvent the wheel vote hot or not and let it go at that. There are certain posters here who I really enjoy getting a thumbs up from... The others my builds are not their cup of tea... I respect that... Unless they are too hateful and then I would like to whop them upside the head..
I get that. My vote is not. I'm not trying to reinvent anything. Personal fit issues don't automatically make something attractive. You won't win a car show with a farm truck because your occupation mandates payload capacity.

Originally Posted by RJM
That is exactly why slammed stems are generally ugly.
I would call it ugly, but I prefer a small spacer. Obviously. You are entitled to your opinion however.

your bike is hot by the way. Something about the total package makes the higher handlebars work. I was actually meaning to point that out as an example. It's not a manner of bar height, it's how the whole package works together.
Old 04-21-14, 10:04 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Seeing as no one has attacked anyone else, isn't this a wet bit premature?
I don't think anyone wants to hear about that WhyFi!
Old 04-21-14, 10:05 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Don't get me wrong. If your mind holds certain standards that the bike doesn't meet, that's fine. Call it a "Not". And you can state why if you want. No one is suppressing you. But criticize respectfully and positively. If you can't do that, then you might want to keep it to yourself.
Old 04-21-14, 10:05 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by RPK79
I don't think anyone wants to hear about that WhyFi!
LOL - damn autocorrect.
Old 04-21-14, 10:10 AM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That's not the issue. The issue is IT'S YOUR OPINION. It's YOUR viewpoint. And it may be totally different than his, and just because your opinion is different than his doesn't make it better than his, doesn't give you the right to insult him. It doesn't give you the right to believe you're superior to him, more knowledgeable than him, or a better cyclist than him.

I mean, you can believe these things all you want, but you can't treat him that way. Not here!

You see, this is not just an issue here in this thread, it just gets more concentrated here. It's a problem on the whole forum. And not just this forum, on many or maybe most forums. Just because people see things differently doesn't give them justification to start attacking one another. You got a different viewpoint than someone else? Big deal, that's ingrained in human nature. But starting a squabble about it only happens on forums . . . in real life you would have to weigh the consequences. And then you might have to change your behavior, or else.

So maybe you have to imagine the guy is standing in front of you. Maybe that'll help. it's just YOUR. OPINION. VS. HIS.
Of course it's my opinion. Why did you make your opinion such a statement of fact?

Yeah, but what if he doesn't care about that? I'm not saying it shouldn't be commented on. It's fine to mention it, and question it in passing, and you can quote me on that. But it has little to do with how the bike looks.
in my opinion ​it has everything to do with the look of his bike.

where did I insult anyone? Where did I mistreat anyone? How did I come across as superior?

i wouldn't change my vote if he were 6'2" 225lbs and standing right in front of me. Its not hot. It looks like a nice bike with a fit that compromises appearance.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 04-21-14 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-21-14, 10:13 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts

I would call it ugly, but I prefer a small spacer. Obviously. You are entitled to your opinion however.

your bike is hot by the way. Something about the total package makes the higher handlebars work. I was actually meaning to point that out as an example. It's not a manner of bar height, it's how the whole package works together.
Thanks. I agree, it's how the whole package is presented.

I have an in-law who has steadily slammed his stem over the last two years and now his drops are lower than the tops of his wheels. It really is off putting in the looks department; he also never uses the drops so it probably is affecting his ride over the long haul.
Old 04-21-14, 10:14 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
This reminds me of the drunk guy arguing with a cop about getting a ticket. Not going to end well.
Old 04-21-14, 10:16 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
But criticize respectfully and positively. If you can't do that, then you might want to keep it to yourself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.