Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Corvette 3 spd hub w/derailleur

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-16, 10:29 AM
Wright Bros

Bikes: '92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 2, '92 Trek 930 & '98 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 5 Posts

Years ago I saw a old Schwinn Corvette at a garage sale that had a 3 speed SA rear hub and a derailleur with 3 cogs for a total of 9 speeds. I've never seen reference to this setup before or since. Have you guys ever seen this?
Old 10-12-16, 12:03 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
It is rare, but it's out there. I think there's a bit written about it on Sheldonbrown.com. It takes a special Sturmey-Archer hub with a different driver than the usual ones. Don't think they've been in production in decades. It's supposed to be possible to assemble a 2x3 speed hub by removing a spacer and using dished sprockets.
Old 10-12-16, 12:20 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Wright Bros
Years ago I saw a old Schwinn Corvette at a garage sale that had a 3 speed SA rear hub and a derailleur with 3 cogs for a total of 9 speeds. I've never seen reference to this setup before or since. Have you guys ever seen this?
I have a 1956 SA/AW alloy shell IGH w/ a Cyclo 3-cog deraiieur set-up that's been in service for decades on several town bikes.
Most likely what you saw was a modification by the dealer for a customer back when, any AW could be retrofitted w/ the Cyclo conversion.

Functionally it's the best/worst of IGH & derail set-ups: Finicky, over complicated and requiring a degree in advanced match to select the "next" gear to shift to.
Very British.

"Let's see, is it one click up on the hub and a shift down on the cogs or the way around?"

-Bandera
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cyclo-3speed-conversion.jpg (93.8 KB, 46 views)
Old 10-12-16, 12:30 PM
Wright Bros

Bikes: '92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 2, '92 Trek 930 & '98 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 5 Posts
Very Cool, thanks guys. The one I saw was kind of pricey for garage sale fare.
Old 10-13-16, 08:34 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
years and years back, when I was in middle school, my shop teacher showed the class his bike that he was doing this too. time and the fact that I wasn't as much into bikes then makes the memory fuzzy, but I do know it's possible.

a modern take is a hub made with an internal 3 speed and a 8sp (I think?) freehub drive. I see them on ebay pretty often but have forgotten the name without going to look it up (I think it's "dual drive"). I consider buying one off and on, just because it seems interesting.