Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Older Specialized Sequoia -- Interpret age from serial number?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-07, 10:09 PM
Spokes man

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1981 Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought an older Specialized Sequoia today off a Craigslist ad and I'd really like to know how old it is. I bought it as a backup for my main ride, but also to work on and learn from doing that.

Any experts out there at interpreting Specialized serial numbers?

The number on the bottom of the BB tube is M2F00144.

The bike has bar-end shifters and a triple crankset. It's got all the braze-ons for adding touring equipment. The frame is blue and it includes a signature label that says it was designed by Jim somebody, I can't really make out the last name.
Old 10-05-07, 10:17 PM
BikeManDan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Instead of using the serial I'd use the components. Are they Shimano? If they are they will have a two alpha character date stamp somewhere on them. Other components have similar date codes as well. Can look them up here:
https://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm
Old 10-06-07, 06:41 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
That is the serial number used by Merida, though others mey also have used it. We have to assume the decade, but it should be a 1982 frame. A Sequoia from that era should be Suntour/Sugino equipped, typically with Cyclone II derailleurs. Checking the date codes on the components is still a good exercise as a sanity check, but sometimes the dates do not match up exactly with the frame. Often they are up to a year older and sometimes they can be newer. It all depends on how good they were at rotating their stock and whether they were getting shipments on time.

The name on the chainstay may be Jim Merz, who was a designer at SBI during the 1980s. Congratulations on your acquisistion. The Sequoia was a very fine grand touring model during that era.
Old 10-06-07, 11:23 AM
Spokes man

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1981 Specialized Sequoia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys have been a great help.

I've checked out the components and T-Mar, you were correct on the derailleurs, they say "Suntour Cyclone II" and the rear says "Maeda Inc. Japan XJ." So in checking the vintage Trek link that dwoloz provided, for Suntour it looks like the XJ code translates to October, 1981. That makes T-Mar's info on the frame being 1982 spot-on, I'd say.

As for the other components, I'm not finding anything that looks like date codes:

The bar-end shifters say "Bar Con Accushift"

Brake handles: "Aero Compe" in script

Brakes, which are side-pull: Shimano SL or SLR, can't quite tell which

Front and rear hubs: "Suntour Japan Cyclone Sealed Bearing"

In the "designed by" script on the chain stay I mentioned above, on closer inspection (and with some cleaning) it looks like the signature is Tim Neenan. Googling that name indicates Tim Neenan was a California framebuilder who was credited as the guy who built and designed some of Specialized's most recognized frames, including the Allez and Stumpjumper. He apparently later went on to a company called Lighthouse.

There are labels on the seat tube and fork that say "Special series touring Cr-Mo double butted tubing," so this confirms it's a steel frame, correct?

The rims, I think, are not original, as they look too new. They are labeled "Wolber Super Champion Modele 58 27 inch"

As for the frame size, I haven't found any evidence, but it fits me like it's a 56cm. I'll have to take some measurements on the seat tube, I guess, to confirm. Or should that be the top tube?

Last edited by Spokes man; 10-06-07 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-06-07, 01:24 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
The SLR brakes did not come out until 1987, so they are obviously an upgrade. A worthwhile upgrade as the SLR are so much smoother, with better modulation. Without doublechecking, I beleive the original were SunTour Superbe and the rims were Mavic.

Yes, definitely CrMo. SBI were supposedly having the tubes custom drawn for them so a stock OEM decal was not appropriate. beleive thay were using tange at this time.

Ah yes, Tim Neenan. They really should have had the foresight to consider the possibility of us getting Tim & Jim confused when the decals got tattered
Old 10-06-07, 07:52 PM
Spokes man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So T-Mar, how did you translate that serial number to 1982? Makes sense that it's a Merita frame, as I understand now through some web searching that Merita makes frames for Specialized. But what's the code that says 1982?

Anyone know when Specialized first started making the Sequoia model?
Old 07-08-08, 02:24 PM
narwhale100

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi there,

I bought my sequoia in the summer of 1982 and still ride it every day. From your description it pretty much matches mine however I've never noticed a serial number anywhere on or near the bottom bracket. Can you be more specific as to where it's stamped? I recall they brought the model out earlier that year. Dark blue with with Sugino triple crankset and 27in wheels. The Tange labels are long gone but i remember that they had a rainbow color scheme; plus the words "special series touring.." rings a bell.

Hope that helps. Happy riding
Old 07-10-08, 02:32 AM
dannyg1 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by narwhale100
Hi there,

I bought my sequoia in the summer of 1982 and still ride it every day. From your description it pretty much matches mine however I've never noticed a serial number anywhere on or near the bottom bracket. Can you be more specific as to where it's stamped? I recall they brought the model out earlier that year. Dark blue with with Sugino triple crankset and 27in wheels. The Tange labels are long gone but i remember that they had a rainbow color scheme; plus the words "special series touring.." rings a bell.

Pictures guys?

Danny
Old 07-18-08, 10:47 PM
Spokes man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there,

The serial number on mine is on the bottom of the crank housing, or bottom bracket shell.

I'll try to post some pics this weekend.
Old 07-19-08, 04:11 PM
Spokes man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, here are a few snaps I took today:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Sequioa1(Small).JPG (56.9 KB, 382 views)
SequoiaSerial (Small).JPG (47.7 KB, 306 views)
SequoiaChainstay(Small).JPG (49.4 KB, 312 views)
Old 08-07-08, 02:59 PM
narwhale100

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi,

I finally took a photo, and I'm guessing this is a later model. Purchased in summer of 82, which must've been after a relaunch as a sport tourer. No serial numbers as far as I can see - only "60" stamped on the BB which I assume is the frame size.

Best regards from summery London,
Attached Images
sequoia.JPG (81.6 KB, 350 views)
Old 08-08-08, 08:43 PM
pax139

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Either something is weird with my computer or your picture has terrible resolution/you tried to do something artsy for some bewildering reason.
Old 08-08-08, 08:47 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pax139
Either something is weird with my computer or your picture has terrible resolution/you tried to do something artsy for some bewildering reason.
Nope mind did the same thing. I think it something to do with the size of the phot
Old 07-08-11, 06:51 AM
andypop1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

I finally took a photo, and I'm guessing this is a later model. Purchased in summer of 82, which must've been after a relaunch as a sport tourer. No serial numbers as far as I can see - only "60" stamped on the BB which I assume is the frame size.

Best regards from summery London,
This is a late posting, this could be one of the very early Sequoias, All Kono bikes have direct attach (fastback) seatstays. Though the picture is not clear, this looks direct rather than the later fluted seatstays.
Old 07-08-11, 11:16 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Holy dead thread revival!
Old 09-09-18, 08:28 PM
beaverstuff
WoodBadge NE-VI-1

Bikes: 1983 Sequoia by Specialized; 1989 Panasonic

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spokes man
So T-Mar, how did you translate that serial number to 1982? Makes sense that it's a Merita frame, as I understand now through some web searching that Merita makes frames for Specialized. But what's the code that says 1982?

Anyone know when Specialized first started making the Sequoia model?
Check this out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specia...cle_Components
Old 09-09-18, 08:45 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Holy Holy Dead Thread Revival 2: Electric Boogaloo!
Old 09-11-18, 09:42 AM
beaverstuff
WoodBadge NE-VI-1

Bikes: 1983 Sequoia by Specialized; 1989 Panasonic

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Looks Like Mine!

Originally Posted by Spokes man
OK, here are a few snaps I took today:
The first of three pics looks like mine, 'cept mine is 68.5cm c-c and same color.
Got mine as a frameset plus seat post. Populated a little differently.
My BB looks like this:

Last edited by beaverstuff; 09-11-18 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Add image
Old 09-07-19, 01:43 AM
Kaatsal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sequoia 1980’s

i got the same bike for sale and I would like to know how much is worth I don’t really ride much any more
Old 09-07-19, 08:44 AM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
Sequoias are popular bikes around here, especially the earlier ones. Try posting a picture. If you are using a pc, you might be able to post it using the little picture icon (to the left of the smiley face) in the menu (under the text "Message:") OR the "Manage Attachments" button near the bottom when composing your reply. If you try this, note you have to hit the "upload" button at the upper right of the upload files dialog to complete uploading the picture. I believe this will work even if you don't have 10 posts, but I am not 100% certain. And I don't know if it will work on mobile devices.

Also, there is a seperate appraisals forum here https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...th-appraisals/

They will tell you what they think it's worth, which will likely involve, well, pictures, and some information like where are you located.

Good luck
Old 09-07-19, 09:08 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
snip . . .

The name on the chainstay may be Jim Merz, who was a designer at SBI during the 1980s. Congratulations on your acquisistion. The Sequoia was a very fine grand touring model during that era.
+ 1. This is a very fine bicycle and a lucky find for the OP.