Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Is it time to update the weight requirements for this forum?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Is it time to update the weight requirements for this forum?

Old 01-10-19, 04:10 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Why Americans Love SUVs

You can always argue the cause and prioritize the reasons, but the information is there so its not something just made up for the heck of it:

For the most part, it comes down to space. Short of buying a van or people mover, there is no better way to cram everything you own and love into one vehicle. Motoring writers tend to put this under the vague title of 'packaging'; basically, it's what you can fit into the space you have.

And SUVs do it better than almost anything; the high roof, low floor and wagon shape give SUVs comparatively boundless headroom, legroom and storage space.

The roof line on SUVs doesn't taper or sweep down to the road at the back, unlike sedans and wagons, so headroom for backseat passengers doesn't suffer (unless you desire a BMW X6, for some reason).

This setup works wonders when getting in and out of the car, especially for people who aren't as limber as they used to be. The higher ride height, taller doors and shorter sills mean drivers and passengers don't have to bend and stoop like they would in sedans and hatchbacks, which means less effort, less pain and more dignity.

The "command seating position" and excellent all-round visibility are also highly sought after, particularly by the non-beard-growing population.

JACK NERAD: They're taller. The seating position is higher. They're roomier. You know, you're talking about four doors with a high seating position, you know, command of the road kind of look out the windows. And people like that. And once people get comfortable with that, they don't want to go back into a lower sedan.

They want convenience. You don’t have to get down to get in an SUV, you step inside. You have more room inside an SUV, so you aren’t cramped - plus the kids aren’t digging their elbows into each other in the rear. You don’t have to lean over with heavy bags of shopping to put something in the back like you do with a wagon, or lift anything over a big lip to put it in the trunk.

As I see it, fast food, larger cars such as SUVs, poor public health and poor perception of the United Sates by many peoples of the world are all interrelated. The never ending cycle, could begin with fast junk food which is inexpensive, poor in quality and makes Americans fat. Fat people don't fit in small cars, so they demand larger cars such as SUV to haul their big fat butts and junk around in.

Since fat people tend to want drive (larger cars such as SUV), they don't walk as much which is a form of exercise, a lack of basic exercise such as walking leads to poor health. When fat people walk less they tend to grow even fatter and desire ever larger cars that utilize even more natural resources such as gas.

Customers see a vehicle that can drive like a car and offers the benefits of an SUV — better visibility, more space, and flexibility in seating and storage.

We have big families, and we’re big people. How big I needn’t tell you who are annually trampled in Trafalgar Square and butted across Hyde Park by herds of Guernsey-sized American tourists. Michelle Obama, in fact, is considered the Twiggy of America. Even our wispy left-wing intellectual types are … you’ve seen Michael Moore.
Old 01-17-19, 01:07 PM
86az135i
Banned.

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone, 2005 Giant Yukon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
The data may be true but incomplete: There were no power chairs for individuals or in big box stores in 1976. Do I need to go on?

Also, this caught my attention.

The shift has not happened by accident. As Jacques Peretti argued in his film The Men Who Made Us Fat, food companies have invested heavily in designing products that use sugar to bypass our natural appetite control mechanisms, and in packaging and promoting these products to break down what remains of our defences, including through the use of subliminal scents.

They employ an army of food scientists and psychologists to trick us into eating more than we need, while their advertisers use the latest findings in neuroscience to overcome our resistance. The thrill of disapproval chimes disastrously with industry propaganda. We delight in blaming the victims

They hire biddable scientists and thinktanks to confuse us about the causes of obesity. Above all, just as the tobacco companies did with smoking, they promote the idea that weight is a question of “personal responsibility”. After spending billions on overriding our willpower, they blame us for failing to exercise it.

Thanks for reading.
LOL I always have to laugh at stuff like this. I work in the food industry. I've been in a little R&D, Quality, and Continuous Improvement. We make food that people want to buy. People want to buy food that smells good, taste good, and something their body craves. Your body craves high calorie foods. Guess what's high calorie and easy for the body to break down into energy and fat. Carbohydrates. Sugars and starches. Your body craves these, and they are delicious. Eat too much, and your pancreas creates insulin to regulate blood sugar and you'll store it as fat. Keep doing it you get obese and get diabetes. Did the food companies hold a gun to anybody's head? Or was it a lack of self control?
Old 01-21-19, 06:09 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by 86az135i
LOL I always have to laugh at stuff like this. I work in the food industry. I've been in a little R&D, Quality, and Continuous Improvement. We make food that people want to buy. People want to buy food that smells good, taste good, and something their body craves. Your body craves high calorie foods. Guess what's high calorie and easy for the body to break down into energy and fat. Carbohydrates. Sugars and starches. Your body craves these, and they are delicious. Eat too much, and your pancreas creates insulin to regulate blood sugar and you'll store it as fat. Keep doing it you get obese and get diabetes. Did the food companies hold a gun to anybody's head? Or was it a lack of self control?
This.
More snowflakes looking to place blame instead of taking responsibilty.