Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Don't judge me by your Utopian standards. I live in Dystopia..

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Don't judge me by your Utopian standards. I live in Dystopia..

Old 10-24-18, 09:38 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Oh, BS. You go into threads to pick fights and insult your betters. It's all you do.
Seriously?
Aren’t you the tough guy that advocates gently knocking over bikes because they are in your path lol.
And I hate to have to break it to you but there are no ‘betters’ on an internet forum.
Get off BF and out of your parents basement a little more bro.

Last edited by downhillmaster; 10-24-18 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-24-18, 10:27 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster

Seriously?
Aren’t you the tough guy that advocates gently knocking over bikes because they are in your path lol.
And I hate to have to break it to you but there are no ‘betters’ on an internet forum.
Get off BF and out of your parents basement a little more bro.
99% of the posts you make fun of are better than anything you've ever posted. You constantly post dumb cheap shots that add nothing to any discussion.
And no, all I said was I could imagine a scenario where I would be tempted to knock over an inconsiderately parked bike. I believe the example I gave was someone blocking handicap access to an oncology clinic. You might want to look up the big word so you can understand how extremely inconsiderate that would be.

I don't live in my parent's basement, thanks. Your mom still picking you up when you get a flat, Passenger Seat Master?
Old 10-25-18, 07:59 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
The reason I'm interested is because the city I live in has been on a stunning downward trend in bicycle use since 2012.
There's p-hacking, then there is noise hacking. (Post the margin of error in your numbers! Your ACS 1-year numbers are MEANINGLESS!)

There has been NO "stunning downward trend" or “noticeable decline” in commuting to work by bicycle in either Eugene or NOLA - period.

ACS 5-year bicycle share numbers for NOLA:

2016 3.1 +/- 0.3
2015 3.0 +/- 0.2
2014 2.8 +/- 0.3
2013 2.5 +/- 0.3
2012 2.1 +/- 0.2
2011 1.9 +/- 0.3
2010 1.8 +/- 0.2
2009 1.4 +/- 0.2

Originally Posted by B. Carfree
I wonder, when did the press start doing these fear-based ... articles/videos down in NOLA? Have they been doing them all along.
When has the press NOT done fear-based articles on NOLA? The drumbeat of "news" articles that everyone is going to die a violent death in New Orleans is as common as second lines. But it's gotten more common now because - click - click - click. Need more bait!

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 10-25-18 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Clarification - NOLA *AND* Eugene ACS 1-year numbers are meaningless
Old 10-25-18, 08:55 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
There's p-hacking, then there is noise hacking. (Post the margin of error in your numbers! Your ACS 1 year numbers are MEANINGLESS!)

There has been NO "stunning downward trend" in commuting to work by bicycle in NOLA - period.
I don't think the other poster lives in nor was referring to NOLA ...

Last edited by Leisesturm; 10-25-18 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-25-18, 10:52 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Leisesturm

Reread his post--he specifically listed numbers for NOLA, just not in the first paragraph.

"Naturally, I looked at the dates of the articles and the cycling trends in NOLA. The ACS data only runs to 2017, so the latest article isn't even in play, but there has been a noticeable decline in cycling in NOLA since 2013, when 3.6% of commuters rode. (2014=3.4, 2015=3.3, 2016=3.3, and 2017=2.9%)."
Old 10-25-18, 10:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

When has the press NOT done fear-based articles on NOLA? The drumbeat of "news" articles that everyone is going to die a violent death in New Orleans is as common as second lines. But it's gotten more common now because - click - click - click. Need more bait!

-mr. bill
I lived there in the mid-'80s. The Times-Picayune was quite fond at the time of using the phrase "Shot In the Face" in its headlines.
Old 10-25-18, 12:10 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Sorry, clarified. (He was talking about both Eugene and NOLA.)

-mr. bill
Old 10-25-18, 12:23 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
at least you have Mardi Gras
Old 10-25-18, 12:56 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
at least you have Mardi Gras
Great time to rent out the house and go out to Cali. Thousands of New Orleaneans go to Disney World with their kids/grandkids that weekend as well. Actually I believe Disney World is 99% New Orleaneans that weekend because we get 5 days off in a row from work and the rest of the USA does not. I have other friends that do a traditional Mardi Gras canoe trip on Black Creek in Mississippi on Mardi Gras Day. Mardi Gras is celebrated from Galveston, TX to Pensacola, FL, so we have to get away from the Gulf Coast to avoid it. Can't just go to the beach 50 miles away. The canoe trip is genius. Less than on hour drive but deserted on any Tuesday on February.
Old 10-25-18, 03:38 PM
mr_bill

FWIW, Carnival Time in NOLA is wonderful. Just stay away from Bourbon Street. (Are there ANY parades on Bourbon Street?)

Actually, Bourbon Street pretty much sucks 24/7/365.

Other than that there are so many fests, great music (d.b.a is right next door to you), plus spectacular food.

But keep up the charade, it’s a MAGNIFICENT continuing anti-tourism screed.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 10-25-18 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-25-18, 04:19 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

FWIW, Carnival Time in NOLA is wonderful. Just stay away from Bourbon Street. (Are there ANY parades on Bourbon Street?)

Actually, Bourbon Street pretty much sucks 24/7/365.

Other than that there are so many fests, great music (d.b.a is right next door to you), plus spectacular food.

But keep up the charade, it’s a MAGNIFICENT continuing anti-tourism screed.

-mr. bill

I am a pi$$-poor New Orleanean. I freely admit this. I use my festival schedule in order to locate places where nobody will be when that festival sucks them all over there. For instance. If I didn't live here I would never come here. If I ever move I would never come back. I don't even drink alcohol, cant stand drunks, and my body fat index is really low. I have almost nothing in common with the locals. If I bought a car I might as well file for divorce too, because I would jet out of here every single weekend. I very much enjoy the liberal atmosphere but don't want to hang with these people. My wife and I use the Saints and LSU games to run interference for us when we want to go out to popular places. City is a ghost town during football games. Have the place to ourselves for 3 hours at least.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 10-25-18 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-25-18, 07:20 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
[M]y body fat index is really low.
OK, I’m sorry, but I can’t let this go. There is PLENTY of good, delicious New France food (Southern NOLA edition or Northern Bonjour-Hi edition) that won’t blow your BMI to the high heavens (or low hells).

If you don’t know how to cook it or where to find it in NOLA, smh.

Tonight’s about to be dinner (one legged):

-mr. bill
Old 10-25-18, 09:18 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
… don't forget the mustard powder and dill
Old 10-25-18, 09:59 PM
Leisesturm

Nice. Except for the midget baguette thingy. I haven't had carbs at dinnertime for ... I don't know thee years now? No longer difficult to do.
Old 10-25-18, 10:25 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

There's p-hacking, then there is noise hacking. (Post the margin of error in your numbers! Your ACS 1-year numbers are MEANINGLESS!)

There has been NO "stunning downward trend" or “noticeable decline” in commuting to work by bicycle in either Eugene or NOLA - period.

ACS 5-year bicycle share numbers for NOLA:

2016 3.1 +/- 0.3
2015 3.0 +/- 0.2
2014 2.8 +/- 0.3
2013 2.5 +/- 0.3
2012 2.1 +/- 0.2
2011 1.9 +/- 0.3
2010 1.8 +/- 0.2
2009 1.4 +/- 0.2

-mr. bill
No mr. bill, you can't use five-year smoothed data when a trend line goes up and then down. It misses both the height of the up and the steepness of the down. It's still early to conclude that this slide is serious. If you prefer, let's give it two years and reopen the discussion.

As to whether or not the news in NOLA is pushing "dangerous to ride" more, I guess you seem to think so based on your last sentence. I'm not sure, just intrigued since I don't know the local culture.

I do know the culture on the west coast, and the fear-based theme put forward by many cities, very much including my current city and the city I spent twenty years in, is very much in play. Fear is the selling point of side paths, "protected" bike lanes and other interesting things being added to the streetscape.

One thing that I find unfortunate is that most of the fear-inspired separated facilities are designed for people who ride less than 10 mph. However, almost all new cyclists I see (and a fair number of not-so-new cyclists) are getting e-bikes. Those narrow spaces designed for extremely low speeds aren't going to work well for people humming along at 20 mph. Like I said, lots of these e-bike riders are new, so they won't even realize they needed to slow down until it's too late. Bummer.
Old 10-25-18, 11:37 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I am a pi$$-poor New Orleanean.
This is the root of all your problems it would seem.

The US is the most car-centric and debt-centric country that I am aware of, so much so that it is difficult, or even impossible for most people to function without a car or debt.

Its becoming more and more like the movie Idiocracy.

Old 10-26-18, 07:04 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by SHBR
This is the root of all your problems it would seem.

The US is the most car-centric and debt-centric country that I am aware of, so much so that it is difficult, or even impossible for most people to function without a car or debt.
I didn't mean "poor" in the sense that I'm living under a bridge. 73% of Americans die in debt. Except for 7 years paying for a house I have kept ZERO debt my entire life. I have zero debt right now, live in a nice Lakeview cottage that is paid for, and have decent health. I have been retired or semi-retired for 30 years. The problem is the Unaffordable Care Act that bumped my health insurance up to $800/month with a $6000 deductible that I never reach (thankfully). So every yearly dermatology checkup, eye exams, dental checkups, etc,. I am STILL paying for them as well. I could lease a Lexus, pay the insurance, and fuel it all year for the money I pay for health insurance. I am definitely cash poor right now and 5 years away from Medicare.

Anyway....I am a "Pi$$-Poor" New Orleanean in the sense that I live a healthy lifestyle. I stay away from fatty/fried foods, alcohol, and tobacco. I go to sleep and wake up, I don't pass out and come-to like many locals. I am a very poor representative of what New Orleans is known for. I avoid festivals, which takes some doing since I live near City Park. I would be much better suited to Boulder, CO or San Diego/Los Angeles, CA. Can't afford any of those places.

I am not in debt but now living from check to check until something changes or I reach 65. I don't think most folks would call me poor in the sense of impoverished.
Old 10-26-18, 07:40 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
I haven't had health insurance most of my life. (well before it was required by law)

I've spent around $2000USD on medical expenses in the past 12 years.(a few fractures, one surgery, and some dental work)

If I can't afford the cost of treatment, too bad.
Old 10-26-18, 08:54 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by SHBR
I haven't had health insurance most of my life. (well before it was required by law)

I've spent around $2000USD on medical expenses in the past 12 years.(a few fractures, one surgery, and some dental work)

If I can't afford the cost of treatment, too bad.
For 35 years I paid cash up front for all medical related stuff. The cash discount was almost always 50% for medical, 15% for dental. And I had few problems anyway. All my peers are getting cancer or stints now. Makes me leery about dropping coverage. And I am getting some age related degenerative issues. Normal stuff but still costs money. A matter of time before a nice size 18 shoe drops on me I guess.
Old 10-26-18, 09:55 AM
Leisesturm

Oh dear. We've gone there. Sigh. Just saying. Life is too short to live conflicted. Liberal values make cities livable which attracts Conservatives who, after all are human and want nice things like most humans. But if you can't or won't respect the Liberal attitudes and lifestyles that bring those nice things to reality, why not be where people share your outlook? I'm sick of people blaming ACA for their high medical bills. My insurer made $6B more in profit than previously the first year ACA kicked in and thanked Obama by hiking premiums 66% and blamed the increase on ACA. So now everyone blames ACA for everything wrong with their medical care. But try to take it away! Just try. You'd have better luck swimming in shark infested waters with an open wound. Everyone says they hate ACA and want it repealed but that will never happen because these people LIE. They want ACA to stay because they know what life would be like without it. They just don't want it associated with Obama anymore.
Old 10-26-18, 11:31 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 2,167 Times in 1,459 Posts
This thread pretty much ran it’s course. It’s no longer A&S.