Search
Notices
Hawaii and Pacific Islands Regional Forum Hawaii, Polynesia, Tahiti, etc.

Road bicycling on Big Island

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-17, 04:22 PM
akoubik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road bicycling on Big Island

Hello. Planning vacation on Big Island and wondering if there is any safe road biking. I am not sure if gravel would be possibility. Not much into MT biking. Any help appreciated. Thank you!
Old 03-31-18, 03:40 PM
popatop75

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hawaii big island rides

Originally Posted by akoubik
Hello. Planning vacation on Big Island and wondering if there is any safe road biking. I am not sure if gravel would be possibility. Not much into MT biking. Any help appreciated. Thank you!
did you make the trip??? going myself this sept any advice would help...
Old 03-31-18, 07:28 PM
akoubik

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by popatop75
did you make the trip??? going myself this sept any advice would help...
I did make the trip but never rented bike. However, I am going back in three weeks and probably do so biking. I will let you know. So far we rented couple of e-MTBs to roam the lava fields in the park. I just sounded fun
Old 03-31-18, 08:10 PM
popatop75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
might check out this site,, just found it but no replys but there is some path routes..... also the roads don't have much shoulder or bike lanes so be safe and have a mirror.. thanks for the come back good luck
theres a site called pathhawaii . org but i don't have the 10 points to post the url it on this forum but there is some info you could plot with google street view
Old 04-09-18, 06:03 PM
Cykilist2

Bikes: a cannondale & a trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by akoubik
I have not ridden on the Big Island before. If you like climbs, you could always do the route that goes from either Kona-Kailua or Hilo to the Mauna Kea visitors center. Bike shops rent good roadies to do that route. It's pretty much a straight climb up.

I dug up this article. They tend to favor Volcanoes NP https://www.lovebigisland.com/big-island-biking/

Be it known, by my experience of living on O'ahu, biking in Mau'i and Kaua'i, there are a lot of narrow roads, and few dedicated bike paths. The best I've seen, so far is on Mau'i, believe it or not. O'ahu infrastructure sucks for the most part.

Good luck and ride with aloha

Old 08-24-18, 04:03 AM
wdpk

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ridden on both sides of the big island. We brought our bicycles on the NCL cruise and got off the boat and rode in both Hilo and Kona. There's a ton of safe road biking. Even the two lane roads are not bad, because it's rather rural so traffic isn't bad. I really enjoyed riding in both areas. Closer to the center of each there was pretty good bike paths and routes.
Old 08-26-18, 10:06 PM
popatop75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wdpk
I've ridden on both sides of the big island. We brought our bicycles on the NCL cruise and got off the boat and rode in both Hilo and Kona. There's a ton of safe road biking. Even the two lane roads are not bad, because it's rather rural so traffic isn't bad. I really enjoyed riding in both areas. Closer to the center of each there was pretty good bike paths and routes.
thanks for the come back..... our family is moving there in the coming spring and leaving calif.. thanks again
Old 12-25-18, 09:16 AM
h2ocowboy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its been a few years since I road there ,but I had a great time. Rented from bike shop thats involved with the TRI . I rode the TRI course ,over to Akona . Rts. 19,190,250 and 270 are great . Some steep stuff ,but don't complain someone will claim to have ridden it with a fixy. lol