Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Plead for help // Advise on finding cable guides

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-18, 10:07 AM
veselatakurabii

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Hello fellow bike enthusiasts!

I have a 1998 Colnago ArtDecor aluminium road bike that had corrosion around its cable guides. My family has a repair shop (car chassis & painting) and they are pretty certain
that the nits and/or cable guides caused galvanic corrosion with the frame.

Since Colnago gave me the finger when I politely asked them for help (no info, no materials, no advise), I have decided to do the same and have their paint and "artwork" completely removed,
and a custom bike with my artwork created instead

I have googled a lot but cannot find a good set of cable guides that use nits (17mm nit to nit, I believe centre to centre but have to remeasure) for fixing.
I need 2x top tube (rear brake), 2x bottom tube (shifting cables) and 1x rear derailleur cable stop. High quality is what I am looking for, I guess I can swallow high costs as well...

If anyone of you has experience/knowledge of such guides, please share it with me. I will highly appreciate it!

Many thanks,

PS: I tried to add images, however since I am new I need 10 posts...ouch...
Old 08-29-18, 11:33 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
Nova Cycle Supply has several rivet on cable stops available. I am not sure what "nits" are, but I'm guessing that they are rivets.

https://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle...-STOPS-c-1053/
Old 08-29-18, 12:21 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
If you can't find production bits that match your frame's holes you could always make some. While a mill would make this easier I've seen hand cut, drilled and filed "braze ons" that worked quite well.

About the corrosion. Sure galvanic issues exist but the edges and corners of these bits make seamless coating (paint) unreasonable to expect. Add body salts/sweat and there you go. I'm less familiar with protecting AL but suspect there are pre paint coatings that will slow down future corrosion. Andy
Old 08-29-18, 01:28 PM
Canaboo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Nova has good stuff. You could always bed them in a good epoxy to seal the junction between the surfaces. I use a dab of G Flex.