Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Custom frame Who built it?

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 09-11-18, 09:32 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 229 Posts

The thing I like best about volunteering at the Bike Exchange is discovering something unique and different in the pile of donated bikes waiting to be rehabbed.

Yesterday I spotted a Miyata 1200 sitting out front of the pile and was going to take it home when sitting nearby I saw this bike.

At once I realized it was special. The tag said it is a custom frame and It looks like it dates from the 70's . Judging from the over all condition I would say it had good care over the years . It looks to be all original with the following components

Frame with Champion decals on the down tube and forks with an arrow pantographed into the lugs and an H on one side of the top steer tube lug. No serial numbers.

Rear dropout on drive side with what may be Brev--- under the paint.

120 mm rear dropout spacing

Cinelli stem and bars

Weinman center pull brakes and levers

sugino AT crank with triple chain rings, two large and one small (haven't counted teeth).

Suntour cyclone (first model?) front and rear derailleurs

Maeda 6 speed freewheel with 32,26,21,17,15,13 tooth cogs which seem to have had light usage.

Miche competition hubs with 1 1/4 x 27 " unlabeled aluminum rims with stainless spokes and presta valves.

Ideal leather saddle with SR aluminum seat post.

The frame paint is excellent with enough scrapes to attest to the fact it was ridden a bit and everything dried out enough to indicate that it has been stored , probably in a garage, for quite a while.

Take a look at the pictures and tell me what you think. I intend to clean and polish it and maybe swap out the brakes and levers for some Suntour Superb's I have. I might also spread the rear dropouts to 126 mm and install a Shimano Hyperglide Freewheel.

I am curious what you all think about the value of a custom frame of unknown origin. Would I be doing a dis service to the bike to fit upright bars and fatter tires on 700 c rims and make it the next of my hipster series or should I leave it bone stock and possibly untouched . Like all my projects with the bike exchange it will be sold once completed. ( hint hint - anyone want to buy it for an insane amount to support our non profit?)

Cap'n Jonny (who just spent 2 weeks at Burning Man and lived to tell the tale)

Old 09-11-18, 10:02 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Jonny- You do have a gem there. Unsure who built it but it has many distinctive details. The hex shaped drop out eyelets. The Diving bell cable stops. Front rack mounts on the crown sides. The "H" and arrow cut outs. Campy drop outs with scalloped stay ends on a touring geometry. Very late 1970s American. I suspect the wheels are form a later year though. I will link this onto the Classic Rendezvous list. Andy
Old 09-12-18, 04:25 AM
Betty Swollocks

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fork Crown

what is the reason for the bolt on the crown, is there one on both sides?
Old 09-12-18, 08:14 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by Betty Swollocks
what is the reason for the bolt on the crown, is there one on both sides?

Racks can attach to these crown bolts. The above photo shows a small rack supporting the bottom of the bag. In this case the rack attaches to the brake pivot bolts though. Other racks can mount to the crown. TA was a popular brand rack for handle bar bags, when this bike was made. While I never liked the look of the crown mounting bolts it is a strong location. This is one more example of the skill and knowledge the frame builder had back when the interweb wasn't even a dream in Al Gore's mind. Andy
Old 09-12-18, 08:27 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
i was going to say it was a Nishiki until I saw the lug cutouts. We should probably move this to C&V.
Old 09-16-18, 01:04 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
My guess would be Harry Havnoonian in Philadelphia. His business was called H.H. Racing Group. He started building a long time ago.