Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

GPS for Hiking, Motorcycling and Biking?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 10-01-18, 01:34 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts

Anything cover all 3? I would like something that reads and displays heart rate for the bike but I can also take hiking and dual sport/adventure motorcycle riding. This means a sizable screen and something that can show way points and, ideally, color maps. Is there anything that fits the bill or am I looking at potentially using something like a Wahoo computer on my bike and buying a Garmin Montana for the other stuff?
Old 10-01-18, 04:21 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
I use a Garmin 62S or 64 on my bicycle, also use it for hiking. The base model 64 will not work with a heart rate monitor, but the higher levels in the 64 series like the 64S I think will work with a heart rate monitor. (The 62S works with a heart rate monitor that is an ANT+ type.) The 64 series replaced the 62 series.

I have no idea if you can hear the GPS when you use it for routing on a motorcycle, I drove 1970s vintage Triumphs and I would never have heard the beeping on my Garmins from engine and wind noise.

These models use AA batteries, I run them on NiMH rechargeable batteries. At this time my favorite batteries are the Ikea Ladda low discharge rechargable AA batteries.

On bright days (sunny or thin overcast), I turn the back light off for better battery life, the GPS is still readable that way.

The Garmin 64 on one of my touring bikes in the photo.

Old 10-01-18, 04:42 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I use a Garmin Montana 650 with custom maps for everything. I do lots of geocaching so it comes in really handy in that respect too. You can customize the screen so the speed is large enough to read when it's mounted on the ATV and dirtbike. I use Ram mounts with 1" balls on the MTB and ATVs. I also plug it into the powerport on the quad so I don't have to worry about running through batteries all the time. but yeah, it comes with a rechargeable also and you can use AA bats, both rechargeable and not. You can also download a lot of free maps off the internet specific to your needs and area or make maps yourself with it. A heavy piece of equipment, but for me it fits the bill. With back light off, which works for me during the day, it will run a good 6 to 8 hours on battery.
Old 10-04-18, 05:00 AM
SCPaul

Bikes: Disc Trucker, Jamis Dragon 650 Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a GPSMap 60CX that I used on my bike, a KLR, and hiking. I don't think mine would work with a heart monitor. When navigating on the motorcycle, it would flash at turns and display the turn and street names in relatively large letters. I had no problems following it. I used a RAM ball mount on the motorcycle that worked well. On the motorcycle, I used a Garmin 4 pin power plug. I don't think any of them use that anymore. It is a shame as it worked fine and was completely waterproof, unlike USB.
Old 10-04-18, 07:03 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

A few more notes in addition to my comments above in post number 2.

Some but not all Garmins that use AA batteries can use a proprietary Garmin branded battery pack that consists of two low discharge AA NiMH batteries. When that battery pack is put into the GPS, it presses down on a small button, that tells the GPS that the battery pack is in the GPS. When that battery pack is used, the battery pack can be charged in the GPS while the GPS is running by using a mini (not micro) USB cable.

My Garmin 64 can be used that way. And with a small piece of plastic or metal over that button so that plain NiMH AA batteries push down the button, you can charge regular rechargable AA batteries in the GPS. May come in useful on a motorcycle. I use that to chage batteries on my touring bikes which have a dynohub that powers a USB charger. The Garmin can be pretty picky about the charger, on my touring bikes with USB charger powered by dynohub, I need to use a pass through cache battery for the Garmin to accept a charge. For example, my GPS will not accept a charge from the Sinewave Revolution without the pass through battery.

For backpacking I want a GPS that uses AA batteries, same with bike touring. That is why I only consider GPS units that use AA batteries.

Some people have had Garmins fall out of the handlebar mount. Has happened to me a couple times. That is why I use a cord on the GPS that is also looped around the handlebar to keep the GPS on the bike if it comes loose.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 10-05-18 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-05-18, 02:36 PM
tricky 

Great, thanks! Yes, charging while using it would be a must have for the motorcycle. I should have had that in my criteria. Oh, and I don't need turn by turn prompts, but it would be cool if it could sync with bluetooth to a Sena while on the motorcycle. That's certainly a nice to have and not necessary, though.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
A few more notes in addition to my comments above in post number 2.

Some but not all Garmins that use AA batteries can use a proprietary Garmin branded battery pack that consists of two low discharge AA NiMH batteries. When that battery pack is put into the GPS, it presses down on a small button, that tells the GPS that the battery pack is in the GPS. When that battery pack is used, the battery pack can be charged in the GPS while the GPS is running by using a mini (not micro) USB cable.

My Garmin 64 can be used that way. And with a small piece of plastic or metal over that button so that plain NiMH AA batteries push down the button, you can charge regular rechargable AA batteries in the GPS. May come in useful on a motorcycle. I use that to chage batteries on my touring bikes which have a dynohub that powers a USA charger. The Garmin can be pretty picky about the charger, on my touring bikes with USB charger powered by dynohub, I need to use a pass through cache battery for the Garmin to accept a charge. For example, my GPS will not accept a charge from the Sinewave Revolution without the pass through battery.

For backpacking I want a GPS that uses AA batteries, same with bike touring. That is why I only consider GPS units that use AA batteries.

Some people have had Garmins fall out of the handlebar mount. Has happened to me a couple times. That is why I use a cord on the GPS that is also looped around the handlebar to keep the GPS on the bike if it comes loose.
Old 10-05-18, 03:18 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by tricky
Great, thanks! Yes, charging while using it would be a must have for the motorcycle. I should have had that in my criteria. Oh, and I don't need turn by turn prompts, but it would be cool if it could sync with bluetooth to a Sena while on the motorcycle. That's certainly a nice to have and not necessary, though.
I have no clue if any of the Garmins can sync with anything.

This is the proprietary battery pack that I mentioned pushes down the button in some of the Garmins like in the model 64.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/116480
Click on the compatible devices list for the choice of GPS units that take it.

But I think I mentioned above that my 64 (base model) will not take a heart rate monitor strap. I think the higher end 64 models (64S or 64ST) will. But you should verify whatever you get that it will take all the extras that you want before you buy.

I always wore leather gloves when I rode a motorcycle. If you get one with a touch screen and if you wear gloves, you might need to make sure your gloves work with teh touch screen in all kinds of weather.

I found the Garmin handlebar mount that attaches with zip ties can slip and rotate around the bar unless you get it on really tight. I also wrap a bit of rubber (cut from an old inner tube) around the bar, the mount and zip ties seem to grip the bar better that way.

But, if AA batteries are not important to your criteria, you have a broader list of options to choose from. I want AA batteries for backpacking, bicycling, etc.
Old 10-05-18, 05:01 PM
tricky 

Originally Posted by Bigbus
I use a Garmin Montana 650 with custom maps for everything. I do lots of geocaching so it comes in really handy in that respect too. You can customize the screen so the speed is large enough to read when it's mounted on the ATV and dirtbike. I use Ram mounts with 1" balls on the MTB and ATVs. I also plug it into the powerport on the quad so I don't have to worry about running through batteries all the time. but yeah, it comes with a rechargeable also and you can use AA bats, both rechargeable and not. You can also download a lot of free maps off the internet specific to your needs and area or make maps yourself with it. A heavy piece of equipment, but for me it fits the bill. With back light off, which works for me during the day, it will run a good 6 to 8 hours on battery.
I had no idea the Montana can be used with a HR sensor. Looks like it can. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/10996#devices Good tip, thanks!
Old 10-05-18, 05:05 PM
tricky 

I like the potential redundancy of AA. Another nice to have. I would definitely get the batteries you linked to.
Old 10-05-18, 05:32 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3369 Post(s)
Liked 5,483 Times in 2,841 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky
I had no idea the Montana can be used with a HR sensor. Looks like it can. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/10996#devices Good tip, thanks!
+1
And there is a powered AMPS mount for a motorcycle, as well as unpowered handlebar mounts for bicycles: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-11654-01
And it can run off regular batteries, or a rechargeable battery pack.
When I was in the market recently to replace my 705 (USB connector failed), I was looking really hard at the Montana for cycling and motorcycle, but then I found a NOS Edge 1000 for half price, so I went that route,
I improvised a mount for it on the motorcycle, and put stock handlebar mounts on all 4 bicycles.
Old 10-06-18, 10:03 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
FWIW-I've never had a device come out or fall off when using the RAM mounting system and I've done some rough riding. (Dirt bikes and ATVs) I use a RAM cradle for my Iphone also. You just have to make sure you have the right cradle for your device and use the steel 'U' bolts to mount the balls.
Old 10-06-18, 11:45 AM
Tourist in MSN

In the photo I am using the Garmin handlebar mount for my Garmin 64. Held on with two zip ties. When new, it is quite tight, but over time with wear it can get loose and the GPS can slide out of it. You can also see the cord I have on it and wrapped around the handlebar.