Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Front strobe light recommendation

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Front strobe light recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-18, 12:13 AM
Telly
What, me worry?

Bikes: Corratec / Jamis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Question Front strobe light recommendation

Hello everyone,

I've already taken care of my bike's main headlight, a MagicShine custom mounted right above the front fender with wide beam lens, but I need to replace a Blackburn Flea which I used only in poor visibility situations set as a strobe light. I would prefer something small/light and definitely rechargeable, so if anyone has a recommendation, I would appreciate it!

Telly
Old 10-15-18, 04:23 AM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
My Stupidbright SB3000 headlight has an amazing daytime strobe function. Check my linked topic for videos. This does an excellent job at garnering attention during daylight hours.

They have three Stupidbright headlight models of different intensity depending upon the requirements.
Old 10-15-18, 05:57 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
For a good, cheap nighttime to-be-seen flasher, try this one. It's now sold under various names, including the Bright Eyes. When I bought it in 2015 it was sold as the Vivo-Bike Illuminati.

It's small, lightweight, easy to mount on a road helmet or just about anywhere on the bike with the simple. stretchy rubber strap -- no need for a special helmet mount as long as the helmet has vents. The flashing mode peaks at 300 lumens, plenty bright enough at night. It has good side visibility. It's somewhat directional so I roughly aim it so that it aims where I look. That helps get the attention of drivers at intersections and driveways.

It's not a great to-see headlight. It's not very bright and the beam pattern is weird -- it's intended to be mounted low, like on a fork or head tube, so the beam is elongated and evens out. But in any other position the shaped beam makes no sense. It's attempting to mimic the mirrored reflex reflector of the Busch & Muller Ixon but not very successfully. But it'll do in a pinch.

I've used mine on almost every ride for three years, including in rain. Still works great. There are lots of to-be-seen headlights and flashers but this one has worked so well, is so lightweight and well designed I'd get another.

The included taillight is junk, a throwaway doodad from a dollar store with a coin battery.

Next best I've tried is the Blackburn 2'Fer. Very versatile, with white and red, steady and flashing modes, all in one light badge light. I use it on the back of my helmet. Occasionally I'll lend it to a friend on nighttime group rides if they show up without lights. Same with the little headlight I mentioned above.

These are bright enough for vehicles to notice me, but not bright enough to blind oncoming fellow cyclists and pedestrians. Too many cyclists are blasting 500-1000 lumen and brighter strobes straight ahead into the eyes of other users on the MUP. It isn't necessary. It's not even necessary for traffic. The shape of a to-be-seen light is more important than the brightness. The best to-be-seen lights are wheel mounted LEDs, white and multicolored. Those things really pop, are instantly recognizable to drivers at any reasonable distance, help identify direction and speed, yet don't blind fellow cyclists. Best lighting concept for bikes since the first effective LED bike lights years ago.

Last edited by canklecat; 10-15-18 at 06:02 AM.
Old 10-15-18, 06:28 AM
Telly
What, me worry?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks guys for your recommendations, both look descent and I'm sure can be used as main lights as well.
TBH, I was looking for something a bit smaller, since it will live in the pannier pocket until it's needed.
Old 10-15-18, 09:47 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I'm currently using a Cygolite Dice for my daytime rides - it has several full beam settings and two strobe modes. It's tiny and rechargeable.

I'd want something brighter with a better beam for full-on darkness in rural areas. That said, the highest setting puts out 150 lumens, and would definitely do in a pinch.

I was a bit concerned about some of the bad reviews (light falling off?) when I purchased the light, but have not had any of those problems.
Old 10-15-18, 11:14 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I use a Viz 360 on my helmet, blinking while it's light out an on low when it's not. My main helmet light is a lot brighter and I mainly use the Viz 360 for the rear light in the dark. I too have a Magicshine with a wide angle lens but on the handlebars. I use the same settings for it as I do the Viz 360.
Old 10-15-18, 12:00 PM
angerdan

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Lightbulb

The Cateye Rapid X3 will strobe very bright.
cateye.com/intl/products/safety_lights/TL-LD720-F/
cateye.com/intl/products/safety_lights/#sec01

Last edited by angerdan; 10-16-18 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-15-18, 12:47 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Telly
MagicShine custom mounted right above the front fender with wide beam lens
oh that sounds interesting. don't want to hijack the thread, but care to share more info & a photo? I have a magicshine w wideangle lens as well, but I'd be interested in seeing your custom mount
Old 10-15-18, 12:57 PM
MobiBike

Bikes: 90's Norco Nitro, 90's Softride traveler, 90's Jamis Dakota, 84 Schwinn High Sierra,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/promo-collections/always-on/c/E430/?utm_source=bm23&utm_medium=email&utm_term=See+Daytime+Running+Lights&utm_content=See+Daytime+Runnin g+Lights&utm_campaign=US+Consumer+201808XX+ABCs+-+A+-+Always+On+DRL

well I don't own one of these or used them myself I see them in use and they appear quite bright to me. And I thought it was a statement in itself that Trek makes such a big deal out of providing this daytime running light and these have caught my attention often so they work on me at least .
Old 10-15-18, 01:09 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Has slow and fast strobe setting; can function as a main light:
Old 10-15-18, 01:20 PM
Telly
What, me worry?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Aha! I have my work cut out for me tonight picking one of the lights you guys have suggested! To be honest, I'm facinated by the Cateye's technology and the Trek running light (although it is a bit pricey for what I need).

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
oh that sounds interesting. don't want to hijack the thread, but care to share more info & a photo? I have a magicshine w wideangle lens as well, but I'd be interested in seeing your custom mount
If the other posters don't mind, i sure don't! I like sharing ideas and reading about other peoples tips/tricks and tinkerings!

Here's a sideview of the bracket. Although the light seems to be pointed down at a large angle, it's really just the photos perspective. This setup give me good illumination around 10ft ahead of the bike to be able to see road hazzards.

Another view of the bracket which is not in the way of the v-brake cable or J tube.

Battery pack for the MagicShine just underneath the saddle for some protection from rain, etc.
Old 10-15-18, 01:41 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
sure don't! I like sharing ideas and reading about other peoples tips/tricks and tinkerings!
absolutely! thank you. I always forget there is a screw holding on the o-ring bracket. that really does open up the possibilities! thanks for the reminder! & nice job btw!
Old 10-15-18, 04:10 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
I have a Cygolite Streak 350. It has two flashing modes. One is an alternating on-off mode, and the other is called steady-flash. The latter has the beam always on at middle intensity and then it bursts to high intensity. You can see by it, and the flashes are not distracting to me. When I see others using this mode, I notice them more quickly than with a steady beam, so it seems like a very nice mode. The Streak is small and light.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-16-18, 12:40 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Thanks guys for your recommendations, both look descent and I'm sure can be used as main lights as well.
TBH, I was looking for something a bit smaller, since it will live in the pannier pocket until it's needed.
Blackburn 2'Fer. Best value I've found in a small versatile light.

As the demo video shows it can be used without the included mount, which is bulky compared with the light itself. A simple Velcro strap would do as well and save some space. The light itself will fit in almost any pocket.

I've even been stopped by shoppers in the grocery store parking lot to ask where they could get one for walks around their neighborhood, because it's versatile enough to clip anywhere, can warn traffic behind them and serve as a reasonably good steady white light to see ahead at the typical slow pace of pedestrians and joggers. I've ridden my bike at night with only the 2'Fer on steady white to see by and it's just barely adequate if I kept my speed around 10 mph or slower. Plenty bright enough to light up reflective objects -- license plates, street lane reflectors, signs, etc. -- which helps a lot with navigation in the dark. But not an ideal headlight for most cyclists.

Old 10-16-18, 12:34 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Question

headlight? rechargeable, how? USB internal battery ?

Or Removable flashlight batteries , which themselves are rechargeable?

I don't know what you will find, in Greece, some brands are importer's names, and vary by importer, to that country..

SJS in UK has PDW and CatEye. those are made in Asia.. we get hem in USA.

here is their sorting of USB lights; https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting...-self-powered/
The German stuff won't offer a flash option..

A Xenon bulb flashes very brightly , LED less so..

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-16-18 at 12:42 PM.