Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

How much time to you spend off the bike during brevets?

Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

How much time to you spend off the bike during brevets?

Old 10-14-18, 09:41 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 57 Posts
Other things that will keep you off the bike

This slowed my riding partner and I down a bit yesterday! Fortunately with our teamwork we were able to walk carefully across the big gap on some dirt piles at the side. Then I lifted the bikes up to him before dragging my butt up onto the bridge! Not sure we could have done this if either one of us was alone. The detour would have added a LOT of miles. This was around mile 113 of a 130+ mile permanent.

Old 10-14-18, 09:31 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
I need to spend more time relaxing/eating along the way. I try to rush things, and usually want to start bonking by the 100th mile or so.
Old 10-15-18, 06:13 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Statistics from this weekend's 600k...

Day 1, 223 miles, 20:07 total time, 16:02 moving time; so about 80% riding, 20% stopped.

Day 2, 151 miles, 13:21 total time, 11:21 moving time, so about 85% riding, 15% stopped.

The first five hours of day 1 were cold rain, which made some extra stops necessary. At one point I was staring at the Bunn-o-matic coffee pot in a little store and thinking, I don't want to drink that... but I'd love to hold the pot in my hands for a while.

Day two I was seriously behind schedule, having overslept, so I kept stops to a minimum until lunchtime, when we made the mistake of eating at Wendy's... which took almost an hour. This seriously distorts that number.
Old 10-15-18, 03:47 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
The Sheetz next to the Wendys wasn't much faster, unfortunately. That is a very busy area.
Old 10-17-18, 08:12 AM
Mark W

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode our 400k this past weekend. Total time of 20:44 with riding time of 17:30, so off-bike time of 3:14.

Discussions on the ride in our group:
- two strong riders ordered a meal at a midday control, a slow service store/restaurant. The rest of us went on since we just wanted a snack and didn’t want to wait. We ate at the fast food restaurant at the next stop with quick service. We appeared to gain a little over an hour in the exchange.
- The 400k riders weren’t as concerned about sleep time at the end of the day as the 1000k riders (same course), and agreed on a meal stop with 42 miles to go. We spent about 30-45 minutes there at a Burger King, guessing.

Time management is much more of an issue on multi day rides as you realize every minute stopped is a minute less sleep.

Mark W
Old 10-17-18, 06:35 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
since the 600k last weekend had a number of sheetz convenience stores, I thought about installing their app to order food ahead. didn't do it though.
Old 10-18-18, 06:10 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
^Joe and I had the same thought while waiting in the line at Wendy's. A couple web orders came in and were served ahead of everyone in the line.

I have the McDonald's app on my phone. I can place an order and identify the place I want to pick it up, and they won't fill the order and charge me until I actually get to the restaurant. As soon as my phone comes within range, the order goes into the cue. If the apps from Wendy's, Sheetz, &c work the same way, you could potentially place all your food orders before the ride even starts.
Old 11-01-18, 09:14 AM
skiffrun

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My off-the-bike time on 200-km ride is all over the map. From a min of 40 or 45 minutes to as much as almost 4 hours. It depends on the day, the weather, the time needed to eat, whether or not I'm in good or not-so-good cycling shape, the ride partner(s) and how they are feeling, and most importantly. The worst experiences, but perhaps not the most off-the-bike-time, have been on days when I was coming down with a cold or other health issue.

This thread recalled to my brain a ride from several years ago with two people that were each significantly faster than me when they wanted to be: ( Irregular Velo Adventures: Aug-12: OEO 209-km Perm )

The extract of the key section / discussion of pace versus off-the-bike time:
"We three arrived together at the control in Spring Hope (43.5 miles) in 2h49. Receipts and signatures acquired. I adjusted my saddle (earlier in the ride, I had mentioned to Ian that the week previous, although I was suffering from fatigued legs due to being ill with a cold, I had felt at one with the bike the entire day, but this morning, although I was apparently riding well, I felt as if my butt was sitting heavy on the saddle). As my legs were starting to tighten up a bit after I completed the saddle adjusments, I rolled out, knowing Ian and Tim would catch me momentarily.

"While still on the decline away from Spring Hope headed toward the underpass beneath controlled access US-64, those two went around me as if I were motionless. I picked up my pace, but soon they were out of view. I settled-in on the flat of Macedonia Rd for a comfortable and peaceful solo completion of my appointed round. I had to stop for a couple minutes at the turn onto Bend of the River Rd to check the instructions (sign missing, follow the arrow that indicates NC-58 is 5-miles to the left).

"Confident I was on course, I was enjoying my ride, wondering when I'd meet the returning fast-twosome. Three miles from Elm City, I turned onto W. Langley Rd, expecting to see Ian and Tim at any moment. A mile later, and I was sure I would see them any second. I was 100% sure on each pedal stroke the last mile into Elm City: Ian and Tim, any time now. They were still at the control when I arrived at 4h25.

"After the guffaws of "how long was our nap?" and a similar comment or two. Tim and Ian acknowledged that they had been discussing the fruitlessness of hammering an inconsistent 19-mph pace and needing more time at the control, compared to riding a steady-17-mph pace and being a bit quicker through the control. They concluded that it wasn't worth the extra effort; and that all they had gotten out of the last section was ... they were tired.

"Subsequent to the ride, I checked the cue sheet and did some calculations. It is 21.5 miles from the suggested Spring Hope control to the suggested Elm City control. At 19-mph, it takes 8 fewer minutes to cover the distance as compared to 17-mph. If the 19-mph riders take 8-minutes-more at the control than the 17-mph rider --> the 17-mph rider will leave the Elm City control first.

"To complete the circle: I did pull out first as we left together. And Ian and Tim tacked-on to me for awhile."

I recall that, when sitting on the bench at the penultimate control, Tim indicated that when we left the turn-around control, he thought I that he was going to be in trouble because he did have trouble hanging on to me for several miles.

The point? Time is time; recovery is recovery. There are occasions when riding slightly slower and not needing to stay stopped at controls or other-wheres is the better option, but as long as it is (or was) fun, it doesn't matter.

Last edited by skiffrun; 11-01-18 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-02-18, 01:28 PM
Flamme Rouge

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been away from the forum for awhile but I'll throw in my 2c...

I'll be off the bike 20 minutes or less per 200k if I'm feeling frisky (looking for <7:00 for 200k / <11:00 for 300k / <16:00 400k). Riding a sub-24 hour 600k is a commitment but can be done. If >600k then I'm usually a bit of a tourist. For a "social" brevet it's whatever the group feels like doing.

Relentless Forward Progress (RFP) is the key to lowering your times. One year on the Cascade 1200 I saw a guy walking away from a mini-mart while drinking his 32oz Gatorade; he didn't stand still long enough to drink it... the epitomy of RFP in my book.

For Dirty Kanza (200 mile) I managed fewer than 20 minutes total at the 3 checkpoints.

Some strategies that work for me: (i) quickly get through a control and then soft pedal while the groups re-forms; (ii) learn on-bike skills like eating and drinking, changing clothes, etc; (iii) keep nature breaks short -- and it's faster to use a bush on a quiet road than the facilities at a mini-mart; (iv) change a flat in under 4 minutes, from clip-out to clip-in; (v) pack your on-bike gear efficiently; (vi) keep your brevet card in a jersey pocket, sealed in a plastic baggie, so you don't have to dig it out of a bag -- but keep nothing else in that pocket so you don't accidentally lose it between controls; and, (vii) in general try to think about what you do off the bike, then figure out how to do it faster or eliminate it completely.