Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ochsner from 6 speed to 9 speed

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-18, 01:35 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts

I have done quite a bit more work on this bike. I could not get the remaining part of the freewheel off of the original Mavic MA2, 105 6 speed wheel. I got the proper tool and mounted it in a bench vise and tried numerous time turn the freewheel clockwise, left hand thread. It did not budge. I then tried heating the metal of the remaining part and again tried to turn it, no go. It was smoking hot but did not help. I am just going to use the Rigida wheels, ultegra9 speed, that I took off of another bike when I replaced its wheels. All 9 gears are functioning well in gravity mode, new 9 speed chain. The seat post, low cost carbon fiber and the seat, one I already had, another low cast option, are installed and are comfortable. The Truvativ flat handle bars, carbon fiber but on sale for only $20, are positioned how I want them. I also switched out the 11/23 Sram cassette for a Shimano 12/26. I have switched the inside chainring from a 42T to a 39T, had to remove one link. I put on some platform pedals. I think the only thing left I want to do is replace both the shift and brake cables. I already replaced the brake pads. I am tickled with the results of this makeover. I made a few mistakes in the process but kept at it. It has inspired me to set up one of my spare rooms as a bike work area. Thanks to all that responded to my questions and I much appreciate the help. DB1

Almost finished.
Old 10-20-18, 01:54 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
"I could not get the remaining part of the freewheel off of the original Mavic MA2, 105 6 speed wheel. I got the proper tool and mounted it in a bench vise and tried numerous time turn the freewheel clockwise, left hand thread. It did not budge. I then tried heating the metal of the remaining part and again tried to turn it, no go. It was smoking hot but did not help"

What remaining part of the freewheel? The only parts of a freewheel that are LH threaded are some low gear cogs that install from the freewheel's backside (like Regina or Atoms) or the outer bearing cone. The use of the word "remaining" sounds to me like you already removed the outer cone and thus the outer body with it's cogs. So IIAC that remaining part is the inner portion of the body, the portion that is threaded onto the hub shell with a right hand thread. Andy
Old 10-20-18, 03:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
screw on freewheels need a freewheel remover for that particular freewheel.
Don't have one ? won't be using that freewheel again ??
Bike Shop can take it off for a fee lower than buying a tool to be used once...

And you will need to have another wheel built, with a freehub for your parts plan, a 9 speed upgrade,,
you have lots more expense ahead of you..
Old 10-20-18, 05:59 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Freewheels do not thread onto a hub with a left hand thread. You have been trying to do the removal backwards. At this point you have probably destroyed the threads of your hub
Old 10-21-18, 07:17 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Freewheels do not thread onto a hub with a left hand thread. You have been trying to do the removal backwards. At this point you have probably destroyed the threads of your hub
Threads are not likely damaged from attempting to remove a freewheel by turning the wrong way. That's what pedalling does.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 10-21-18, 07:20 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I got the proper tool and mounted it in a bench vise and tried numerous time turn the freewheel clockwise, left hand thread. It did not budge.
Try counter-clockwise......regular right hand threading.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html