Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Diving into Smart Trainering

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-22-18, 05:12 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts

So, I found a deal on a refurbished wahoo Kickr Snap on Wahoos website over the weekend, and snatched it up. Should arrive in the mail some time this week.

Totally new to smart trainers, power, structured training, etc.

Any suggestions on trainer or Zwift use, and setting up a winter training plan? My long term goal is to get faster racing cross.
Old 10-22-18, 05:41 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22507 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
Get a free trial of Zwift. See how you like it.
Old 10-22-18, 05:51 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I just got a Wahoo Kickr Snap. Make sure you calibrate it with Zwift. The 4 week FTP booster is a good structured workout to get you started. Make sure you use the companion app on your phone.
Old 10-22-18, 07:23 PM
Athens80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Youtube is your friend. There are many how to videos on Zwift. Shane Miller - GPLama is a reliable guide. Many Zwift Tips here.
a 2+ year old getting started video.

zwiftinsider.com has useful articles. There are many Facebook groups also, such as Zwift Riders.
Old 10-23-18, 05:01 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
i've found trainerroad to be the most economical and versatile program for when i used to have my smart trainer
Old 10-23-18, 05:18 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
What hardware are you going to use with it?

PC? you will need one of these: ANT USB Zwift will not work with Bluetooth without a phone also connected to Zwift.
There are a crapton of workouts available for Zwift: Zwift Workouts And while there are some training plans, if you know what you need to work on, you can search and use the Zwift workouts as you see fit.

For training plans specific to cyclocross, look here: ]Fascat Cyclocross But you will need to buy one of these plans.

You will still need the ANT stick to communicate to and from your PC to your trainer.
Old 10-23-18, 07:50 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Originally Posted by mvnsnd

PC? you will need one of these: ANT USB Zwift will not work with Bluetooth without a phone also connected to Zwift.
There are a crapton of workouts available for Zwift: Zwift Workouts And while there are some training plans, if you know what you need to work on, you can search and use the Zwift workouts as you see fit.

For training plans specific to cyclocross, look here: ]Fascat Cyclocross But you will need to buy one of these plans.

You will still need the ANT stick to communicate to and from your PC to your trainer.
I've got an apple tv..my understanding is that should be pretty much plug and play.
Old 10-23-18, 11:37 AM
rms13

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
I've got an apple tv..my understanding is that should be pretty much plug and play.
Zwift is only supported with Apple TV 4th gen and newer (basically the two most recent versions of Apple TV). Also, it seems that you need to have the latest Apple TV 4k version to use more then one bluetooth device at a time. The Apple TV remote is bluetooth so that is one. I have just gotten into trainers and bought a smart trainer. I've been testing Zwift on an iPad mini and it works pretty well but I have 3 bluetooth devices going at a time (my trainer, my HR monitor and headphones). Apple TV was suggested to me as a cheap option since I don't have a computer or laptop that supports Zwift and I found that I would need the latest and greatest Apple TV 4k to run it.

https://support.zwift.com/en_us/what...ift--S1C6I6OB7

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8239224
Old 10-23-18, 11:57 AM
Tom L

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I have a wahoo kick r and have had great luck just using my I phone and zwift
I connect to the trainer, heart monitor and cadence sensor via bluetooth to the phone, and connect the phone
to a 32" wall mount tv via a video cord, works great and I haven't had any connection issues in 8 months of use

also works great on full gaz , I had considerable problems with video on rouvy, so I dropped that subscription.

the workouts on zwift are cool , but most of the time I just go on and ride, a lot of fun.
I also have been embarrassed on a few races that I have joined, but hey, someone has to come in last LOL
Old 10-23-18, 12:25 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom L
I have a wahoo kick r and have had great luck just using my I phone and zwift
I connect to the trainer, heart monitor and cadence sensor via bluetooth to the phone, and connect the phone
to a 32" wall mount tv via a video cord, works great and I haven't had any connection issues in 8 months of use

also works great on full gaz , I had considerable problems with video on rouvy, so I dropped that subscription.

the workouts on zwift are cool , but most of the time I just go on and ride, a lot of fun.
I also have been embarrassed on a few races that I have joined, but hey, someone has to come in last LOL
I've only had my smart trainer for 2 weeks and have been testing Zwift and Rouvy. I only found Rouvy because I bought a Cycleops Magnus and it's a Cycleops app. I'm using Rouvy on my Android phone and it's very disappointing. In theory it's good but I feel like I spend 10-15 minutes fiddling around to get my trainer and my Wahoo Tickr HR monitor connected and working via bluetooth every time I ride. The entire reason I bought the trainer is because I can barely find 45 minute to ride in the morning so wasting time getting set up every time is frustrating. Maybe it's my phone but it's a brand new Moto G6. Not a $1000 android phone but up to date technology. Zwift using my wife's 2 year old iPad mini just works and takes me about 20 seconds to get set up. If I do stick with Zwift I'll probably buy a used iPhone 5s or 6 and just use that. I'd like to test Trainerroad before making any decisions because it seems like the best pure training app for smart trainers and I'm more interested in getting a focused work out then the immersive gaming style of Zwift. I know Zwift has training now but all the reviews I've read say that Trainerroad is still better in that aspect
Old 10-23-18, 12:58 PM
Tom L

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
I've only had my smart trainer for 2 weeks and have been testing Zwift and Rouvy. I only found Rouvy because I bought a Cycleops Magnus and it's a Cycleops app. I'm using Rouvy on my Android phone and it's very disappointing. In theory it's good but I feel like I spend 10-15 minutes fiddling around to get my trainer and my Wahoo Tickr HR monitor connected and working via bluetooth every time I ride. The entire reason I bought the trainer is because I can barely find 45 minute to ride in the morning so wasting time getting set up every time is frustrating. Maybe it's my phone but it's a brand new Moto G6. Not a $1000 android phone but up to date technology. Zwift using my wife's 2 year old iPad mini just works and takes me about 20 seconds to get set up. If I do stick with Zwift I'll probably buy a used iPhone 5s or 6 and just use that. I'd like to test Trainerroad before making any decisions because it seems like the best pure training app for smart trainers and I'm more interested in getting a focused work out then the immersive gaming style of Zwift. I know Zwift has training now but all the reviews I've read say that Trainerroad is still better in that aspect

I'm not sure why the video has given me so much problems with rouvy, i never have had any problems connecting, it is the video stop, starts, speeds up ect
pretty aggravating
try out ful gaz , some of those rides are really neat, almost like you are there. and it streams better than other sites.
I get bored on zwift and training after a couple of weeks and it is nice to have another outlet to train on

I made one mistake, I should have bought a bigger tv, for only a little more money, I could have bought a big curved screen deal, that would be nice
Old 10-23-18, 02:09 PM
Abe_Froman

Zwift is only supported with Apple TV 4th gen and newer (basically the two most recent versions of Apple TV). Also, it seems that you need to have the latest Apple TV 4k version to use more then one bluetooth device at a time. The Apple TV remote is bluetooth so that is one. I have just gotten into trainers and bought a smart trainer. I've been testing Zwift on an iPad mini and it works pretty well but I have 3 bluetooth devices going at a time (my trainer, my HR monitor and headphones). Apple TV was suggested to me as a cheap option since I don't have a computer or laptop that supports Zwift and I found that I would need the latest and greatest Apple TV 4k to run it.

https://support.zwift.com/en_us/what...ift--S1C6I6OB7

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8239224

I think I'll be good. I definitely don't have the newest apple TV. But I know for a fact I can use multiple bluetooth devices at a time (remote + bluetooth headphones). And, it says if zwift is not compatible with the TV, it will not show in the app store. I installed it this morning...so here's hoping lol. I'll know in a day or two.
Old 10-23-18, 02:35 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I think I'll be good. I definitely don't have the newest apple TV. But I know for a fact I can use multiple bluetooth devices at a time (remote + bluetooth headphones). And, it says if zwift is not compatible with the TV, it will not show in the app store. I installed it this morning...so here's hoping lol. I'll know in a day or two.

Did you read the thread from Apple forum? It is specifically people using Wahoo trainers and sensors. If Apple TV is older then the newest 4k then you can connect 3 bluetooth devices but you can not use more then 1 simultaneously. So using say the Kickr and a HR sensor at the same time won't work. If you already own the Apple TV there is obviously no harm in trying it out but if you are planning on using multiple sensors via bluetooth it may be an issue
Old 10-23-18, 03:18 PM
Abe_Froman

Did you read the thread from Apple forum? It is specifically people using Wahoo trainers and sensors. If Apple TV is older then the newest 4k then you can connect 3 bluetooth devices but you can not use more then 1 simultaneously. So using say the Kickr and a HR sensor at the same time won't work. If you already own the Apple TV there is obviously no harm in trying it out but if you are planning on using multiple sensors via bluetooth it may be an issue
Yup I read it...but like I said...I use the both the remote and the headphones simultaneously. Besides....not too concerned about getting a HR monitor to run with zwift. If it shows up on the screen, and gives a power readout, I'll be happy.
Old 10-24-18, 06:28 AM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
AppleTV supports 3 Bluetooth connections -- the remote and two more. So a typical limitation is that you can connect the smart trainer and heart rate monitor but not a third sensor like a cadence sensor -- or a device like Bluetooth headphones.

Ray Maker covers this on his blog:
Apple TV only supports two concurrent Bluetooth Smart sensors. To explain this in 1st grade math terms:
A) BT Smart Heart Rate Strap + BT Smart Power Meter = 2 Sensors = OK, good to go!
B) BT Smart Heart Rate Strap + BT Smart Cadence + BT Smart Speed = 3 Sensors = No good, too much
He also explains the workarounds and caveats.
Old 10-24-18, 06:49 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by mvnsnd

I use Zwift on my iMac via Bluetooth with no issues. No Ant stick needed, and no phone needed either. Works perfectly fine.
Old 10-24-18, 08:21 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
I use Zwift on my iMac via Bluetooth with no issues. No Ant stick needed, and no phone needed either. Works perfectly fine.
I was going to say the same. I didn't understand the comment about needing a phone above.

I have a Kickr Core and it connects easily with all devices. The one thing that you need to check when using ANY app or device is that since Bluetooth is a one to one connection the app or device you are using must be in possession of that connection. If another device has it you won't see it. This is a real problem when you have a phone, a bike head unit, and a computer all competing to get it. ANT+ has less of a problem, but I still find that using my USB dongle works best if I pull it out and reinsert it when I start a session. This disconnects it from any other app. Sometimes closing an app doesn't release the connection either. Sometimes both ANT+ and BT have connected to your trainer and hopefully only one app takes control and it is the one you want.

I use Zwift and The Sufferfest on my iMac, Rouvy on my iPhone since there isn't a Mac version, and I've tried directly from my head unit. Every time I start I have to check all devices, but doing that reduces the frustration.
Old 10-25-18, 05:32 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I was going to say the same. I didn't understand the comment about needing a phone above.
It's in regards to Windows OS. Windows Bluetooth is not officially supported, so if one wants to use a Bluetooth connection, a phone running the companion app is necessary to bridge the computer to the trainer.
Old 10-25-18, 07:09 AM
Abe_Froman

Evsrything is set up, and was pretty darn easy. Moderately more difficult than pairing a phone up with a car bluetooth system. Only issue is I'm praying that the wattages show are seriously influenced bybeing inside or so e
something lol. I'm slow as **** it seems.
Old 10-25-18, 07:44 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11318 Post(s)
Liked 4,632 Times in 2,698 Posts
Evsrything is set up, and was pretty darn easy. Moderately more difficult than pairing a phone up with a car bluetooth system. Only issue is I'm praying that the wattages show are seriously influenced bybeing inside or so e
Some riders are less adept at making power indoors, others, it makes no difference.
Old 10-25-18, 10:55 AM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Are you doing calibration spin down before riding? When I started testing Zwift with Cycleops the speed and power were way off until I realized I had to calibrate before each ride.
Old 10-25-18, 12:53 PM
Abe_Froman

Are you doing calibration spin down before riding? When I started testing Zwift with Cycleops the speed and power were way off until I realized I had to calibrate before each ride.
I did do the calibration before i rode. Judging by my speed outside, placement in races, strava guesstimates, online calculators...i had sort of assumed i would end up somewhere around mid 200s. I'm going to try again today...but it looks like it will show something sub 200. We'll see...it is what it is. It's just surprising...I'm 190lbs, and atleast strong enough to finish my cross races mid pack. I wasnt expecti g an FTP of like 190 or something lol. Will check back later with the actual number.
Old 10-25-18, 04:27 PM
Abe_Froman

So, the jury is in: FTP of 198. Which, in retrospect I guess isnt all that surprising. I raced sunday, commuted mon-tues, gave the ftp test a half hearted effort yesterday, so it's not like i was 100% fresh. Also it looks like i really suck at holding a steady power...I was all over from about 170 to 270 at times. I'd like to think if I was fresh, outside, or at least practiced holding steady power i would have been marginally higher. I consider this result a narrow escape from depression...

Last edited by Abe_Froman; 10-25-18 at 04:32 PM.