Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Weight Balance Question

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Weight Balance Question

Old 10-21-18, 06:28 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 127 Posts
Weight Balance Question

I have a 15L seat bag and two Ortlieb panniers (might be the sport packer model). With these bags I can carry a lightweight tent, bag and pad, plus spare clothes and other basic items for a 3-4 day local tour. I’ve only credit card toured to now.

Question - if I put the two panniers on a low rider (Tubus Tara) and with the seat-packer in the rear of course, would the balance be okay...and where should the heavier items go?

Thanks.

Last edited by Noonievut; 10-21-18 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-21-18, 06:40 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 2,272 Posts
The current thought is tom have the weighty stuff upfront (and use a low trail bike). I've always been a long trail and rear weight focused tourer. As to how your bike will feel with your load only a test pack and ride will tell for sure. Andy
Old 10-21-18, 06:54 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Best place to start is to keep the balance of the bike as designed, which for most bikes is 40% in the front and 60% in the rear. Weight in the center is also desirable, rather than in the ends of the bike. As much weight between the axles as possible will have the least effect on how the bike handles. Heavier items should be packed lower in your bags.
Old 10-22-18, 10:13 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Ultimately the best answer is "try it and see." Putting weight in front, even if it's low, will slow the steering of the bike. The effect may be less obvious if your bike is low trail instead of standard. Front-loading the weight also puts more weight on the less stressed wheel, which is good. Putting in in the rear may overload the rear wheel and make the front lift when you start pedaling hard up a very steep hill, but your steering won't be affected.

Try it both ways, and see what you like best.
Old 10-22-18, 10:26 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I'm using front panniers , on my daily rides, around town, (These are low trail* forks)
and handling is better. with front mass..

I toured (for months) with 4 panniers and the fluffy bag on the rear rack top.

* with small wheels, the trail is smaller, although HTA may be like a big wheel bike..

Old 10-22-18, 11:54 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Personally, for CC touring, I’d skip the camping gear. But in any case, I’d do as others have recommended and just try it and find out how the bike handles. I’d start by putting the heavier things in the front and in the bottom of the panniers. Be sure to load them evely. It doesn’t have to be Perfect, no need to get out the scale, but you’ll notice if the wheel wants to pull to one side when riding and you take your hands off of the bars. If the bike doesn’t handle well, try putting the heavy things in the seat bag. You have much more volume in those front bags, so you may still end up with more weight in the front by packing that way. Spend an hour or two one day loading each way and go for a ride and see what you like.
Old 10-22-18, 12:38 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Every bike handles different. Try the heavy stuff in different places. What works well on one bike might not handle as well on another bike. As Alan S noted about packing a pannier, the heavy stuff should be packed in the bottom and lightest on top.

After the first night when your tent is likely damp, take care to pack that so the dampness does not get stuff wet that you want to stay dry.

Exception: Keep rain gear handy if there is any tiny chance of rain, that would go on top, as would lunch. I often strap my rain gear on top of a front pannier so I can get it on without even having to open or close a pannier in the rain.
Old 10-22-18, 09:09 PM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I have tried all three combinations: full rear load, front and rear with rear bias, full front load. The best balance is front and rrar with rear bias. Both ends feel planted and plenty of grip. But logistics wise, it makes sense to minimize the number of panniers so that there is less adjusting of the cargo during loading/unloading.
Old 10-23-18, 08:40 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
does your bike presently have a rear rack?
Ive toured with all kinds of variations of bag distribution, and here are a few thoughts.

First, the Tara is a really good solid rack. When I got mine I noticed the diff compared to my old front rack. To be fair, diff bike that had a much more solid front end, and also I removed the orlieb inserts and enlarged the tara's tubing with rubber tubing and tape so that there was no play or movement of the bags over rough roads. I also have wider tires, so the proper pressures for the surfaces mean less jarring at the front.

yes, the steering is slowed down with heavier front panniers, but its not all bad, its just different.

I used to always prefer a lighter steering front, and for some conditions its nice to have rear panniers so you can move the front faster and or pop the wheel easier over obstacles, but then you still come back to more weight on the rear wheel, making life harder on it and its spokes--but Im a light guy, so less of a factor for me in this case.

and as always and as others have said, heavier stuff lower down in panniers is the rule of thumb.

if your rear rack is still on, it can be an easy backup with a small dry bag and a bungee for extra food or whatever after shopping if needed.
Old 10-23-18, 01:49 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 127 Posts
Thanks for all of the tips!
Old 10-23-18, 02:02 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
Yeah...a lot of good advice. I usually use the 60-40 rear front allocation as an initial guide. I tend to have my food, quick repair equipment, and stuff I need on a quick notice (raingear etc) in front. In the back is my clothing, camping gear, and more deeply buried repair gear. My tent, sleeping back, and ensolite foam pad are rolled up and put on the top of the back rack.

I don't like low riders because the top of your racks is very valuable space for awkward shaped things that gobble up space, like cooking gear.

One thing I tell a lot of new riders is, if you are worried about how much weight you have on the front, you are simply carrying too much stuff.
Old 10-23-18, 04:31 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by hermanchauw
I have tried all three combinations: full rear load, front and rear with rear bias, full front load. The best balance is front and rrar with rear bias.
You missed one, and the one I would say is the best. Front and rear load, more weight up front. But yeah, I’d put front and rear load vs. picking just front or rear, regardless of where you put most of the weight. For me the best loading order is...
F/r(best by far)
f/R
F
R(worst by far if you have 20+lbs)
F=front R=rear Capital letter means more weight