Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Today I (v2):

Old 10-20-18, 03:20 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Shogun Selectra, Felt TK2, Ridley Fenix AL

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Been nerding out on Youtube bike fit videos lately and made some fit adjustments to the road bike today, hoping to alleviate some hand and shoulder/neck discomfort I've been having. Turned the handlebar down a bit and moved the shifters up a pretty substantial amount. Effectively reduced the reach by over 1cm and put the hoods in a more ergonomic position. I'll take it out for a ride tomorrow to see how it feels on the road.

Cutting the steer tube is on my to-do list.

Old 10-20-18, 08:07 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Today I found a set of h plus son wheels laced to polished phil hubs (single-sided threading) plus tires (Hutchinson Fusion) and a 17t cog/lockring for $300 on Craigslist. Seems too good to be true. Owner claims there are less than 50 miles on the wheels too. Is this a really good set of wheels, or are the Wabi sub 15's better?

Dave
Old 10-20-18, 08:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Pink Klein MTB, Phil Wood VeloXS Frame (that will soon have DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Originally Posted by bonsai171 View Post
Today I found a set of h plus son wheels laced to polished phil hubs (single-sided threading) plus tires (Hutchinson Fusion) and a 17t cog/lockring for $300 on Craigslist. Seems too good to be true. Owner claims there are less than 50 miles on the wheels too. Is this a really good set of wheels, or are the Wabi sub 15's better?

Dave
If the wheels are real and not stolen, then they are an excellent set of wheels. Phil Wood makes some of the best hubs on the market. Top quality, easily serviced and great bearings. They aren't light though which is frequently why people get rid of them because they want super light vs super looks which is fair but nothing and I do mean nothing is going to beat a silver hub with that red script Phil logo on it (well maybe a deep purple or black is good if it is gloss) H+Son makes an excellent rim and I am using 6 of their rims right now and they are excellent. The tires and stuff are a cool addition but nothing I spec on my stuff though nothing against Hutchinson.

$300 would be a heck of deal again if they are real and not stolen and either in true or not badly out of true and using decent spokes (Sapim, DT Swiss, Wheelsmith or Phil Wood).
Old 10-20-18, 08:48 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
If the wheels are real and not stolen, then they are an excellent set of wheels. Phil Wood makes some of the best hubs on the market. Top quality, easily serviced and great bearings. They aren't light though which is frequently why people get rid of them because they want super light vs super looks which is fair but nothing and I do mean nothing is going to beat a silver hub with that red script Phil logo on it (well maybe a deep purple or black is good if it is gloss) H+Son makes an excellent rim and I am using 6 of their rims right now and they are excellent. The tires and stuff are a cool addition but nothing I spec on my stuff though nothing against Hutchinson.

$300 would be a heck of deal again if they are real and not stolen and either in true or not badly out of true and using decent spokes (Sapim, DT Swiss, Wheelsmith or Phil Wood).
Those wheels definitely raise a question in my mind about whether they are stolen or not. Retrogression has a similar set for ~$600, and that's with the threading on both sides of the rear hub. Seems too good to be true. Maybe they have the receipt and a good story as to why they are selling. Who knows? Just couldn't believe that post.

​https://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/bop/d/fixed-gear-track-wheelset/6704471808.html

Dave​​​​​​
Old 10-20-18, 09:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Pink Klein MTB, Phil Wood VeloXS Frame (that will soon have DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame

Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Originally Posted by bonsai171 View Post
Those wheels definitely raise a question in my mind about whether they are stolen or not. Retrogression has a similar set for ~$600, and that's with the threading on both sides of the rear hub. Seems too good to be true. Maybe they have the receipt and a good story as to why they are selling. Who knows? Just couldn't believe that post.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/b...704471808.html

Dave​​​​​​
Maybe email them and ask some questions about them and probe a little. They look to be correct parts wise and maybe they got a great deal working in a shop but check as best you can first.
Old 10-21-18, 03:33 AM
mouse
dumb

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I engraved a little Ďface plateí for the gap in the stem with a Loki bust! I nerd out on little details. :shrug

I found some stuff at a local metal supply, started playing with it... I really like the look of the Alter cogs and such, but spending that on a cog hurts to think about. So I decided to try some DIY stuff to get that look... again detail dork

Hereís what I ended up with. Iím sure Iíll get better results as I play with the stuff. Some more god of mischief touches. 😝

Last edited by mouse; 10-21-18 at 04:03 AM.
Old 10-21-18, 10:07 AM
CCMAK

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Today I got out and ride only to constantly wiping tears because the wind was too cold! Nice fall colours though.
Old 10-21-18, 06:05 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
... put a front brake on my bike.
I feel a little sad because I was really digging the bare bones simplicity but it opens more roads up to me this way without the fear of not being able to slow down on hills
50km ride this weekend on mixed paved and gravel.

Old 10-21-18, 06:33 PM
bonsai171

Today I rode 25.8 miles at 16.4mph average. Probably my fastest ride ever!

Dave
Old 10-21-18, 06:34 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Originally Posted by CCMAK View Post
Today I got out and ride only to constantly wiping tears because the wind was too cold!

I have that problem as well. Wrap-around sunglasses or ski/snowboarding goggles work well to prevent it.
Old 10-21-18, 06:45 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Quoted: 5053 Post(s)
Today I bought a set of h plus son wheels laced to polished phil hubs (single-sided threading) plus tires (Hutchinson Fusion) and a 17t cog/lockring for $300 on Craigslist!

Actually I didn't. Just kidding.

But I should go get them and flip them to Dave for tree fitty.

-Tim-
Old 10-21-18, 06:55 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
Today I bought a set of h plus son wheels laced to polished phil hubs (single-sided threading) plus tires (Hutchinson Fusion) and a 17t cog/lockring for $300 on Craigslist!

Actually I didn't. Just kidding.

But I should go get them and flip them to Dave for tree fitty.

-Tim-
LOL. I'll probably go with the sub 15s-those are around 2000g.

Dave
Old 10-21-18, 07:27 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Originally Posted by mouse View Post

I engraved a little Ďface plateí for the gap in the stem with a Loki bust! I nerd out on little details. :shrug

I found some stuff at a local metal supply, started playing with it... I really like the look of the Alter cogs and such, but spending that on a cog hurts to think about. So I decided to try some DIY stuff to get that look... again detail dork

Hereís what I ended up with. Iím sure Iíll get better results as I play with the stuff. Some more god of mischief touches. 😝
Diggin the experimentation.
What did you do for that engraving of Loki?
Old 10-21-18, 09:46 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: No. 7 now sitting in a box in the living room

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
I discovered that my front tire on Darla was completely flat despite supposedly having a liner and slime.

I also made my weekly pizza for Sunday Night Football, this time on garlic bread.

I'm working on wrapping Christmas presents and cleaing the house as well.
Old 10-21-18, 10:15 PM
mouse
dumb

Originally Posted by Happy Feet View Post
Diggin the experimentation.
What did you do for that engraving of Loki?
Thanks! I have a programmable laser engraver

Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
I discovered that my front tire on Darla was completely flat despite supposedly having a liner and slime.

I also made my weekly pizza for Sunday Night Football, this time on garlic bread.

I'm working on wrapping Christmas presents and cleaing the house as well.
mmmmmmm pizza sounds good. Dang! you're way ahead of the game, wrapping gifts before Halloween. Good on you!! haha.
Old 10-22-18, 01:13 AM
mouse
dumb

Got the cog and lock ring installed. I think it looks pretty cool. It was a fun learning process. Gonna keep playing with the technique on another cog. Speaking of, I can’t for the life of me get the cog on the flip side off. I’ve tried everything, including breaking a chain whip and taking it to the LBS which told me basically to eat worms. Any ideas? I’m at the point of carefully cutting it off. Am I correct in thinking freewheel threads differ from cog threads and this could be why? Also got to the roller stage! Everything is still loosey goosey so ignore a lot of the wonk goin on lol

Last edited by mouse; 10-22-18 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-22-18, 06:39 AM
phobus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Originally Posted by mouse View Post
I canít for the life of me get the cog on the flip side off. Iíve tried everything, including breaking a chain whip and taking it to the LBS which told me basically to eat worms. Any ideas? Iím at the point of carefully cutting it off. Am I correct in thinking freewheel threads differ from cog threads and this could be why? [/i][/left]
Nope, the threading is the same. Maybe it's held on with LocTite or something. I'm assuming you've already doused it in penetrating oil?

It might be worth applying heat before resorting to the grinder.
Old 10-22-18, 08:36 AM
mouse
dumb

Originally Posted by phobus View Post
Nope, the threading is the same. Maybe it's held on with LocTite or something. I'm assuming you've already doused it in penetrating oil?

It might be worth applying heat before resorting to the grinder.
yessir, hit it with penitraiting oil twice. Iíll try a little heat today. Thanks sir
Old 10-22-18, 03:43 PM
Butthash
Gold Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Today I went to see my primary physician and may work on converting that Firenze GL5000 into a singlespeed with my Pakť's parts so I have more tyre clearance, but I may also just transferntur fork to my Pakť so I have clearance for.my 30mm tire.
Old 10-23-18, 01:27 AM
mouse
dumb

Threw an SRAM pc1 chain on, old flite, some mks pedals and straps, and Deda velo bars. Went for a quick 10mile test ride. Feels pretty good. Gonna adjust some things and ride it to work on the morning. Iím not sure about the straps. They feel kinda clunky. Switch to cages if I donít get accustomed to them. I think someone should bring back the retrogression straps, cuz I liked those. Wink wink 😉