Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wacky Question About Older and Newer Campy Products.

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-22-18, 11:37 PM
Somnambulistz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Everybody,

I have a strange question that is gonna seem wackwards, but I figure you'd all be able to give me the thumbs up or down to right away.

I am scared S-less about power torque on campy cranks due to the engineering of it (and requirements for extra specialized tools).

That being said, I am less worried about Ultra Torque. Is it permissible to use an Ultra Torque crankset from the CX line (etc. etc) with a drive train from the power torque side (Athena).

Lastly, will my bike randomly catch on fire if i attempt this, and would the chain have to be from a particular group / era?

Thanks,

Jordan (the wandering cyclist)
Old 10-23-18, 12:03 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
I can't imagine why not. Campagnolo's ratcheting shifters tend to be quite forgiving on the front, and I believe they will even work on triples.

Are you using 11 speed? If going for 10 speed, there are quite a few cheap ultratorque 10 speed cranksets showing up on Ebay.
Old 10-23-18, 12:21 AM
Somnambulistz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I can't imagine why not. Campagnolo's ratcheting shifters tend to be quite forgiving on the front, and I believe they will even work on triples.

Are you using 11 speed? If going for 10 speed, there are quite a few cheap ultratorque 10 speed cranksets showing up on Ebay.
Ah, 11 speed Athena with a CX crank in the front
Old 10-23-18, 01:42 AM
Stormy Archer
Peugeot PSV10 or somethin

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Did you just write this thread title like a Youtube video so more people would click on it?

Generally rear shifting and front shifting don't have a ton of impact on each other, so the worst that can happen is your front deraileur shifting will be off. Although, you might need to use some bottom bracket spacers if its for a 73mm shell and your frame is 68mm.

(Should've titled it "WACKY question about NEW and OLD CAMPY parts - you won't BELIEVE the answer")
Old 10-23-18, 03:11 PM
Somnambulistz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormy Archer
Did you just write this thread title like a Youtube video so more people would click on it?

Generally rear shifting and front shifting don't have a ton of impact on each other, so the worst that can happen is your front deraileur shifting will be off. Although, you might need to use some bottom bracket spacers if its for a 73mm shell and your frame is 68mm.

(Should've titled it "WACKY question about NEW and OLD CAMPY parts - you won't BELIEVE the answer")
hahahaha you are so right lol!

next time the titles gonna be "I bought Campy mixed matched parts! Why did my bike catch fire!!?!?!"

Thanks though for the info, can front derailleur shifting be troubleshooted? Honestly I am so if'y about Campy I am just thinking go with the old tried and true Shimano. I just like the silver finish and while I do have smaller hands I don't find shimano components that big.....

Like people extol Campy as this great luxury, but a great luxury is suppose to have utility too, it's why Mercedes sells, and why Jaguar and Land Rover don't. I shouldn't have said that, someone who loves campy is gonna come in and compare shimano to toyota / lexus.....

Am I overthinking this thing? I love customizing and trying new things but I do have a limit......
Old 10-23-18, 05:03 PM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
The recent versions (2016 and later) of power torque cranks have self-extracting crank arms, which eliminates the special tool that was previously needed.

Ultra torque cranksets don't need any special tools at all, just an 8mm (i think) hex bit with a 3-4" extension to tighten and loosen the center bolt.
Old 10-23-18, 08:01 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 357 Posts
To piggyback on this thread, since I was about to ask anyway, are ALL ultra torque BBs compatible with ALL ultra torque cranks? Is there any difference between Chorus, Record, Super Record? The compatibility chart shows Chorus/Record being the same, but SR as somehow different. And is there any difference between 10 and 11 speed in terms of fit, never mind chainring thickness/spacing? I ask because I just bought a used Chorus 10 34/50/170 on Ebay, exactly what I wanted, that was a lot less scuffed up than my FSA that is toast.

And it is a 10mm hex bit, not an 8. The crank doesn't need anything special but the BB shells do, not sure if it is the same as the Park I already have for FSA MegaExo. Since it is Campy, probably not. There are times I think I should have just gone with Shimano and been compatible with the rest of the world.
Old 10-23-18, 08:07 PM
Somnambulistz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
To piggyback on this thread, since I was about to ask anyway, are ALL ultra torque BBs compatible with ALL ultra torque cranks? Is there any difference between Chorus, Record, Super Record? The compatibility chart shows Chorus/Record being the same, but SR as somehow different. And is there any difference between 10 and 11 speed in terms of fit, never mind chainring thickness/spacing? I ask because I just bought a used Chorus 10 34/50/170 on Ebay, exactly what I wanted, that was a lot less scuffed up than my FSA that is toast.

And it is a 10mm hex bit, not an 8. The crank doesn't need anything special but the BB shells do, not sure if it is the same as the Park I already have for FSA MegaExo. Since it is Campy, probably not. There are times I think I should have just gone with Shimano and been compatible with the rest of the world.
You are thinking exactly what I am thinking (and you are always welcome to piggieback on the thread ). I looked into the chart too and interpreted it like you did. I think SR has a different compatibility because of the engineering behind it. I'm so tempted to get the campy stuff, the price is right right now, but it's like, am i buying into a bad idea that will cost me later.....
Old 10-25-18, 06:33 AM
RGMN

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
The crank doesn't need anything special but the BB shells do, not sure if it is the same as the Park I already have for FSA MegaExo. Since it is Campy, probably not. There are times I think I should have just gone with Shimano and been compatible with the rest of the world.
Campag uses the same tool as the FSA MegaExo. At least according to Park.
Old 10-26-18, 05:03 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN
Campag uses the same tool as the FSA MegaExo. At least according to Park.
Yes, after I wrote my comment I thought to just look it up. Crank arrives today, not sure about BB shell that I ordered separately. I made sure to order a Chorus/Record shell, not an SR. I'm in no rush to install it actually since it is still ridable the way it is and on the road I didn't notice any issues. It was just while climbing on the trainer at higher cadence that I did. I could feel it when I grabbed the crank arm and went back and forth at a certain position.