Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Two Wheelsets - Use of Each

Old 10-22-18, 02:24 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
I give up. lol
Old 10-22-18, 04:31 PM
Chris(NJ)

Bikes: Aethos (inbound), Pivot LES -XX1, Ibis Hakka -Force1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
Getting off topic here but.. what do most people consider "road" riding.
This should be a poll lol
I consider road riding; paved/marked roads you’d typically find vehicle traffic on. Furthermore, I identify it as using more of a racey / crit style kinda bike.
Old 10-22-18, 09:56 PM
McMitchell

Bikes: Focus Mares CX, Rocky Moutain Sherpa

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 10-23-18, 01:57 AM
Danny01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a steel gravel bike with two wheelsets. I use it for gravel/road touring in the warmer months and as a road bike in the colder/wetter months. One pair of wheels has 700c HED Belgium+ rims, 28x Sapim Lasers front and rear laced to WI CLD hubs. Tires are Schwalbe G One Microskin 35mm. The second wheelset are Velocity Aileron 650b, 32x Sapim Race spokes laced to WI CLD hubs. Tires are Schwalbe G One Microskin 38mm. Both are set up tubeless. I had the HED wheels first, however they weren't great for when I went touring. They would make noises like a broken spoke, even though the spokes seemed fine. Made me nervous with the heavy load, heavy braking and rough gravel roads on 28 aggressively butted spokes. (Sapim does not recommend Lasers for disc brakes, however I have zero issues when not loaded down) I now use this wheelset for everything other than loaded touring. The 650b wheels are used for touring and the ride is much stiffer. With 36 thick and short(that's what she said) spokes, there are no more disconcerting noises when heavily loaded. These wheels with the 38mm tires definitely feel slower though.

I also have a road bike with Zipp 404 FC. These are rim brake, so when the weather gets nasty or there is salt all over the roads, I use the gravel bike for road rides with the 700c wheels for the disc brakes and wider, tubeless tires. Getting back on the road bike always makes me feel like I'm flying.

I like having a road bike and gravel bike and 2 sets of wheels on the gravel bike. Yeah, it is more money but it's a one time expense... at least until the itch hits.

If you dont tour, I don't see a point in having 2 wheelsets for the gravel bike.
Old 10-23-18, 07:28 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ)
I consider road riding; paved/marked roads you’d typically find vehicle traffic on. Furthermore, I identify it as using more of a racey / crit style kinda bike.
As would 99% of people. The other 1% post in this forum.
Old 10-23-18, 01:11 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by McMitchell
Right Noonievut,
There are frost warnings in the area I ride in. I am finding the same thing as I age too. Thinking about a post concerning winter clothing suggestions. I am thinking I may need some form of cover for my face to make it through the winters in GA MTNs. Getting older is tough.

It sounds from your post above that we are looking at similar tires for paved/gravel combinations. The tires that came on my Cyclocross bike are nobbies of about that same size. I would like to save my 40mm+ WTB Nano nobbies for the many forest roads that run through all the parks around me and run a more typical Cyclocross “dry” tire with grippy edges on the paved/gravel. Will be discussing this with the guys at Cartecay Bikes in the next few days. I doubt the rims that came on my bike can be made tubeless. I am sold on the convience of tubeless.
Clothing: Toes for me are the biggest problem. I have neoprene toe covers, and full shoe covers. I have a "rain" cap I can put over my well ventilated helmet - that and a head band for my ears. Merino (or similar) wool wicks, breathes, insulates and keeps me warm. I wear 1 or 2 "salvation army" merino wool sweaters to cover any conditions. If its real cold, I'll wear ski goggles. Oh yeah, my water bottle freezes if its too cold.

I've made non tubeless tires and wheels tubeless, using skinny strippers to ensure it doesn't have a catastrophic burp. I like G-Ones in the winter. Seems to me that tires with side knobs give me the biggest benefit when I'm trying to steer out of a rut.
Old 10-23-18, 01:17 PM
chas58

Glad you found it. It is an interesting term to google for (especially the original name "fattystripper". Most of the search results are blocked at work. ;-)

I originally used these to go getto tubless (before I was sold on tubless). But even for a good tubless set up, the elimitate most all of the problems I hear people complaining about - making removal, tire swapping easier, eliminating burping and any mess. Super cheap insurance.

@Noonievut (OP) Keep in mind if you have 2+ tubless wheelsets - you need to keep all wheels regularly rotated or your sealant will pool and dry at the bottom of the unused tire.
Old 10-23-18, 02:03 PM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Quick question to all you 650b users: Once you go 650b for off road riding/all road riding, is there ever any going back to 700c?
Old 10-23-18, 06:07 PM
Chris(NJ)

Bikes: Aethos (inbound), Pivot LES -XX1, Ibis Hakka -Force1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Yes, when you find out you need more B.B. clearance
Old 10-23-18, 06:33 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
One would think the purpose of going 650b is to run bigger tires (unless you are physically too small for 700c) so the BB should be roughly the same height if you do that. There's a chart somewhere on the net that shows what 650b tire size equals various 700c sizes. Basically, a 650b with a 44mm tire is equal to a 700c with a 25mm tire.

Here it is: BikeCalc.com - How to calculate Bicycle Wheel Size

The bigger issue is brake reach from 700c to 650b. If you are running disc no problem but you may need a different caliper if the reach isn't long enough on a road bike. Once you have gone to that trouble you may not wish to revert back to 700c if you tossed or sold the originals.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 10-23-18 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-23-18, 10:22 PM
McMitchell

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Chas58,
Thanks for the info on the items you use in winter. Cold toes/feet can be a serious issue! I did find a thread about winter biking clothing on these forums that also has many good suggestions. I choose not to risk getting blasted for pursuing an “off topic” subject, even if the OP brought it up :-)

It sounds like you use the “skinnystrippers/fattystrippers” on rims designed to be tubeless as well as ones not designed to be used tubless?

Happy Feet,
Thanks for the link to the chart calculating tire sizes, good to know!

Last edited by McMitchell; 10-23-18 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-23-18, 10:52 PM
McMitchell

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shoota
As would 99% of people. The other 1% post in this forum.
Wow Shoota, congratulations! Two complete sentences! I was getting use to single words, got to love terse comments ;-)

Last edited by McMitchell; 10-23-18 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-24-18, 03:56 AM
Danny01

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hmmm
Quick question to all you 650b users: Once you go 650b for off road riding/all road riding, is there ever any going back to 700c?
I like both. Big tires on 650b rims feels noticably slower to me. I don't think I need to mention why I like 650b considering the thread.
Old 10-24-18, 04:39 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Chas58,
Thanks for the info on the items you use in winter. Cold toes/feet can be a serious issue! I did find a thread about winter biking clothing on these forums that also has many good suggestions. I choose not to risk getting blasted for pursuing an “off topic” subject, even if the OP brought it up :-)

I used P.S. and it was on my mind as I was still freezing at that moment! I feared their rath as well
Old 10-24-18, 08:40 AM
McMitchell

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Question regarding 650B, since this now seems to be an “official” topic on this thread.

I have 700C 40mm WTB Nanos on Stan’s Grail tubeless rims, which I plan to use on forest roads, trails, rougher travel. I am looking for a set of wheels to use on the paved/ gravel roads I ride more regularly. As I understand the idea behind 650B, one uses a smaller rim to achieve a taller tire that can be run at lower pressures and absorb more shock. Which makes me think they may work for my conditions? I believe these tires typically wind up narrower too, although I understand that depends on the tire. I ask because it seems more people use them for rougher conditions.

As I previously mentioned, to much fan fare, I do not have a “road” bike. My Focus Cyclocross bike is close enough to a road bike for me. I like riding the Focus bike on the “paved” roads I ride regularly for many of the same reasons mentioned for people riding “road” bikes. I feel like I am flying compared to my MTN bike. It is easier to get up hills.....I stay in middle gears more of the time.....I like my bike for my conditions too, always looking for ways to make the ride more enjoyable though.

Last edited by McMitchell; 10-24-18 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-24-18, 08:57 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Question regarding 650B, since this now seems to be an “official” topic on this thread.

I have 700C 40mm WTB Nanos on Stan’s Grail tubeless rims, which I plan to use on forest roads, trails, rougher travel. I am looking for a set of wheels to use on the paved/ gravel roads I ride more regularly. As I understand the idea behind 650B, one uses a smaller rim to achieve a taller tire that can be run at lower pressures and absorb more shock. Which makes me think they may work for my conditions? I believe these tires typically wind up narrower too, although I understand that depends on the tire. I ask because it seems more people use them for rougher conditions.

As I previously mentioned, to much fan fare, I do not have a “road” bike. My Focus Cyclocross bike is close enough to a road bike for me. I like riding the Focus bike on the “paved” roads I ride regularly for many of the same reasons mentioned for people riding “road” bikes. I feel like I am flying compared to my MTN bike. It is easier to get up hills.....I stay in middle gears more of the time.....I like my bike for my conditions too, always looking for ways to make the ride more enjoyable though.

You use 650B so you can use wider tires that your frame geometry will not let you use in 29" due to lack of clearance, toe overlap, gearing, or excessive bottom bracket height. The wider 650B tires typically have more volume than narrower 29" tires at the same height so you can run lower pressures especially with tubeless. But you have to be mindful about tire clearance and minimum bottom bracket height.
Old 10-24-18, 08:58 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
if you have to ask why you need something (650), you probably don't need it.
Old 10-24-18, 09:51 AM
chas58

Question regarding 650B, since this now seems to be an “official” topic on this thread...
I'm not too keen on droping my BB height, as i tend to smack my pedals. But a 54mm 650b has roughly the same diameter as your 40mm nanos. Thunder Burt looks to be a good choice for me. I found some 700c TBs on sale, and put them on my bike - because hey - our forks have a lot of clearance these days. It made the bike ride too much like a mountain bike for my tastes - although it is super fun on single track and rough/soft conditions. It tended to slow the bike's responses down (more trail?) which is good. I then tried a 2.0" Furious Fred - and that gave me everything. Super fast and responsive, lots of cush (I need about 27psi in it to get the same width contact patch as in my 40mm @ ~40psi). No BB height problems. I think 650b is good if you must really go wide and don't care about weight/acceleration/climibing. But most people will get what they want just putting a fatter front tire on their bike.
Old 10-24-18, 08:39 PM
McMitchell

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did just change from a 172.5mm crank to 170mm. My bike came with 33mm Rocket Ron tires. I switched to the 40mm tires on the Stan’s Grail rims, which seem to fit with extra space.
Old 10-25-18, 06:41 AM
McMitchell

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Metieval
if you have to ask why you need something (650), you probably don't need it.
So if I follow your “reasoning” there is no reason for these forums. As far as I know forums exist specifically so posters can explore various ways to approach specific activities.

My suggestion is if you do not have a positive contribution to make on a specific topic it might be better to stiffle the urge to make a “negative” responce.

Last edited by McMitchell; 10-25-18 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-25-18, 01:51 PM
McMitchell

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I heard you chas58. Good to know. Wise council now that I have a little history.

After conferring with my bike shop and doing a quick cost analysis I am planing to run the WTB Nanos on both surfaces for now. I have the 28mm tires on the original rims that came with the bike. Although I do not think I can make them tubless, tubes may not be an issue on “paved” roads. Once I figure out why one tubed tire continues to leak air...

Turns out one of the bike mechanics rides the same tire I do, 40mm WTB Nano. Like me, he only rides on “pavement” to get to gravel/dirt.
Old 10-25-18, 03:07 PM
chas58

For what it is worth, companies like Continental don't think tubeless is worth it below ~30mm. They don't make tubless in those sizes. There is a good argument to make that there is no benefit in weight, or rolling resistance in those sizes, and certainly it is super easy to change a tube in a traditional tire rather than the stiff and super tight beads tubeless tires have (and the semi-annual maintenance). I do get occasional pinch flats if I take a tire that small off road (or sometimes just with the potholes around here on the roads).
Old 10-25-18, 03:16 PM
chas58

...I believe someone in this thread indicated that his “gravel” roads were often better than his “paved” roads...
Yeah, that was me. I was reminded of that again last night (photos posted in photo thread). I'm riding along at speed (20-25mph) on "gravel" roads that this time of year are almost velodrome smooth (well, my bike helps a bit too), then we get to an asphalt patch and its all chuncky cracked patched and messy. Yeah, our gravel has some rough spots at turns and intersections (washboard, divots, real gravel), but it can be super smooth for a long stretch.

They put some kind of nasty oil mixture down around here (to keep the dust down), but it makes for a pretty smooth ride in the right conditions (summer/fall).
Old 10-25-18, 07:02 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
...As I understand the idea behind 650B, one uses a smaller rim to achieve a taller tire that can be run at lower pressures and absorb more shock. Which makes me think they may work for my conditions? I believe these tires typically wind up narrower too, although I understand that depends on the tire. I ask because it seems more people use them for rougher conditions.

To clarify, most of the time 650b will be fatter and taller than a traditional 700c tire. It basically has more volume. The usual issue is that road bikes are limited by the height of the tire, especially if trying to also fit a fender so the smaller rim allows a taller tire. But, when thinking about a conversion you have to consider the ultimate width as well if you have a narrower fork.
Old 10-26-18, 05:06 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
I had mentioned one idea for a second wheelset for the gravel bike being for touring (which I do a few times a year, mind you they’re only sub-5 day tours), and I would use 32mm tires on 700c rims...I think it’s more practical to just use the same 650b wheels and swap for a smooth tread, high volume tire like the WTB horizon. While it might be overkill for primarily paved riding, I wouldn’t hesitate to ride rail rail trails and easy gravel roads, and it would be a faster tire than the GKSK (and better on wet pavement I presume).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.