Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

What are some of the fastest folding bikes?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

What are some of the fastest folding bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-16, 10:58 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Now that I think about it, the Helix is 24" ... right? I assume ERTO 507.
Old 11-20-16, 01:45 AM
snafu22
Decafflete

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Diode100
Good to see Dahon stepping up to the plate with some new models, I just hope they get them out and onto the shop floor so people can see, ride and hopefully buy them. Folderwise all you see in London bike shops are Brompton, with a smattering of Terns in Evans, and Dahon as rare as hens teeth. It's only the likes of Velorution and Bike Fix, and W9 Fudges, niche outlets, who have anything rarified like Arnimal, Ori, Pacific Reach, or Moulton.
Just so. Out here in the sticks it's a rare day to see any kind of bicycle at all. Even the Post Office stopped using them about four years ago: 'too dangerous.'

Also the range of available folders is decreasing rapidly, it's hard here in the UK to find even the Mezzo D9 or the fast Dahons in the shops.

The Dahon Hammerhead was probably the fastest on the flat for the least effort, but for me, skinny tyres don't go with London potholes. It's now the folding Dash P18, somewhat de-tuned and made more sensible, sans front suspension.

I think that it would give most folders a good sprint.

Last edited by snafu22; 11-20-16 at 02:05 AM.
Old 11-21-16, 12:43 PM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
I'm probably a bit biased, but I think that the Xootr Swift should be on your short list.
It's much less expensive than most of your other options ($599 on sale,hopefully not getting discontinued), and it is designed to be extremely simple, use non-proprietary parts, and robust.

I don't doubt that the Dahon Dash or the Moulton lookalike would feel just as fast (at much more money).
However, the Swift will likely be all you'll ever need.

The weakness-- big fold, fits behind a door much better than inside a trunk (no Brompton), luggage options not as well thought out as Tern.
Old 11-21-16, 04:02 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 843 Times in 587 Posts
The Xootr Swift is being discontinued, so I recommend getting one while it's still an option.

Models - Swift Folding Bicycle | Xootr Urban Transport
Old 11-23-16, 08:55 AM
Diode100

Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tds101
The Xootr Swift is being discontinued, so I recommend getting one while it's still an option.

Models - Swift Folding Bicycle | Xootr Urban Transport
Ah, could this be an opportunity for one of our budding folding bicycle armchair entrepreneurs to buy up the rights and tooling and show the world how to do it properly ?
Old 11-23-16, 04:37 PM
Rick Imby

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ah, could this be an opportunity for one of our budding folding bicycle armchair entrepreneurs to buy up the rights and tooling and show the world how to do it properly ?
I would guess the tooling was all built and owned by the Chinese manufacturer that built the bike for Xootr. I doubt the rights would cost anything as Xootr has quit and Peter did not seem to interested in the business model of building a bike model and selling it to dealers and through Amazon.

I don't know. The build has been well aged and is an excellent bike. Xootr sold a lot of them at first but obviously sales have slowed way down.

I love mine but it is more of a packing bike rather than a folder. It would be a great platform to build out in a Basic mode--like the current model---and a more deluxe model with lighter wheels and equipment.

Dahon does this with all their frame models. There are probably 15 different models they have built on the Mu frame alone.

The difference with the Xootr Swift is they built it, modified it a little bit and then did not reinvest and evolve. I would bet they had really good profits from the design when they were selling well. But Xootr is a scooter company that sold a pack bike---a really cool design---but still a Scooter company.

The companies in the folding world that seem to have done well long term--Dahon, Bike Friday, Brompton have all committed their companies to building different options and upgrading their bikes. Each has done it differently but seemingly successfully. And it takes a lot of money and persistence...

But to Quote Jur I think he said it is "a niche bike in a small niche".

I think Xootr had a royalty deal with Peter but I have no idea how that worked. The design has been around long enough I would guess there is no longer a patent on it.

Warranty claims in the future? I would guess you are going to be out of luck.
Old 11-23-16, 05:34 PM
Paul Braithwait

Location: Carlisle, in England's Lake District, just a few miles south of the border with Scotland.

Bikes: A Bianchi C2C road bike, a steel framed touring bike and a Xootr Swift folder which has made the rest redundant!

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My Xootr Swift has been featured (by me) on the Swift forum page many times. I find it to be the best folder for my needs. Over the ten years I have owned it I have changed; wheels, gears, 'bars etc and had great fun in the process. The beauty of the Swift is that it is built with normal 'off the shelf' parts so can be customised very easily. It rides pretty much like a "normal" bike with the advantage of the fold. As has been mentioned, it is not he smallest fold but enough to be useful in my world.

Xootr offered a 'Lifetime' warranty on the frame so I'm doubtful that will still be in place.

I can't think of another folder I would buy if the Swift meets a sticky end. Bike Fridays look good but are pricey and not readily available in the UK. Importing one from the USA would make the price eye watering! The Birdy looks interesting but again very rare in the UK. That leaves the Brompton - great fold but not the best choice for long hilly rides and many of the parts are bespoke. They are not cheap either. Which basically leaves the Dahon/Tern models.

Dahon seem to bring out a new model every month and Tern had the issue of frames snapping in half. I really liked the look of a couple of the Tern sports models - check out Peter of NYCe Wheels videos on YouTube - but when reports of frame failures began to surface I lost enthusiasm! I'll just have to look after my Swift and hope that it outlasts me!

Last edited by Paul Braithwait; 11-23-16 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-23-16, 09:15 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Braithwait
I can't think of another folder I would buy if the Swift meets a sticky end.
Remember in the Ti Swift thread, I was wondering that exact thing? About what to replace my Swift with in case it broke? I already tried a Birdy, replaced it with a Brompton, already have a Moulton, a Bike Friday was looking like a worthy choice but the upfront cost...! Well it was a casual acquaintance, a guy I sometimes see on my commute going the other way, whom I occasionally chat with, who suggested that I get the same bike built in titanium. Well that seed bore fruit all right. Not a nanosecond of regret. I would make certain mods in hindsight but that's it.
Old 01-09-17, 03:08 AM
kidshibuya

Bikes: Tyrell CSI, Dahon Mu LT11, Doppelganger Aurora 219

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chesky
Simple answer: Allen Sports Ultra X
It is not only the fastest but also the lightest folding bike with 20-inch wheels and carbon fiber frame. I'm surprised no one here mentioned the super bike.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sopTTzglUzw
But this "lightest folding bike" is only 100 grams lighter than a Dahon Mu SLX that hasnt a scrap of carbon anywhere.

Good to see Dahon stepping up to the plate with some new models, I just hope they get them out and onto the shop floor so people can see, ride and hopefully buy them. Folderwise all you see in London bike shops are Brompton, with a smattering of Terns in Evans, and Dahon as rare as hens teeth. It's only the likes of Velorution and Bike Fix, and W9 Fudges, niche outlets, who have anything rarified like Arnimal, Ori, Pacific Reach, or Moulton.
Originally Posted by Rick Imby
Folders are very unavailable in the Northwestern US also. I have never seen more than two folding bikes in a shop at the same time.

Not many shops get behind folders and push them except in some big cities. If you look at a map with all the Dahon Dealers in the US ---there are tons of shops. But it seems very few of them ever have more than one or two in stock.
I never thought it would be so difficult to buy a Dahon. I am in Tokyo and while I see a few Dahons around, finding them for sale is tough. Even so called authorised dealers only stock a few of the most basic models and have never heard of the model I want to buy. Why I just can't buy directly from the Dahon website is beyond me. Why protect distributors and shops that only stock their bikes on paper?

As for the OT and speed, well the rider has nothing to do with it. It's not the engine that determines speed, the engine is you so all bikes have the same identical engine. If the engine determined speed then this means all bikes are exactly the same speed which clearly isn't the case.

It all comes down to inertia vs force applied through gearing - drag and friction.

Now here is my take:

Gearing can be discounted because unless we are talking about a very specific road then I postulate that whatever ever folder you mention has the correct gear for whatever magic road we are on, which is always correct sometimes. Also "correct" gearing is subjective, a measure of speed is not. Any gear can achieve any speed, it is only a matter of how fast you need to pedal, there is no such thing as a faster gear.

So we are left with weight and friction/drag. The fastest folder will have narrow low resistance tyres and high grade hubs (to reduce friction). I can't think of any folders with other aero optimisations so we don't have to worry about bike aero beyond tyre width. I discount things like rider position and aero bars because a faster bike should by definition be faster than another bike in an identical situation. If the rider is in a different position then the comparison is not like for like and is invalid. Plus I could hang my head over the bars of any bike, it just would not be comfortable. So to include things like rider position is to include comfort in a measurement of speed.

Now given that most top of the line folders generally share the same level of quality in running gear giving them equal drag/friction then the only true variable in the speed equation is weight. Lightest top spec bike wins. That is my take on it.
Old 01-09-17, 07:11 AM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Ergonomics are a factor. Short wheelbases and upright position,for example, can affect speed a lot. and, of course, where the weight is is significant.
Old 01-10-17, 03:36 AM
Rick Imby

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Braithwait

I can't think of another folder I would buy if the Swift meets a sticky end.
I'm a kinda a newbie to folders and started with a Swift last summer. I took a REI branded Dahon Mu internal hub 7 speed on trade several years ago that I have used just a little but has been a loaner bike for friends. I had Montague a long time ago and thought about building it up with quality components but instead it went away.

I also got a Dahon Mu D10 inexpensively and am in the process of trying to make it light. I have some really light tires and wheels I'm setting up tubeless. I think I will do a Diabetes ride or two next year on it.

Right now my Swift is setup with a studded tire on the front and it is being used as my winter bike.

I have become a 20" wheel nut.
Old 01-10-17, 07:11 AM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick Imby
I'm a kinda a newbie to folders and started with a Swift last summer. I took a REI branded Dahon Mu internal hub 7 speed on trade several years ago that I have used just a little but has been a loaner bike for friends. I had Montague a long time ago and thought about building it up with quality components but instead it went away.

I also got a Dahon Mu D10 inexpensively and am in the process of trying to make it light. I have some really light tires and wheels I'm setting up tubeless. I think I will do a Diabetes ride or two next year on it.

Right now my Swift is setup with a studded tire on the front and it is being used as my winter bike.

I have become a 20" wheel nut.
Are you using a Schwalbe studded tire? Is n't it better to have studs front and rear? What sort of tire is on the back now? I have had to put my Swift up for a while due to ice and snow but next winter I would like to ride it instead of my Surly with studded tires.
Old 01-10-17, 10:58 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I Know the Winners of the Brompton World Championships , each year are, The fastest on the Day.
Old 01-23-17, 01:50 PM
bromptoneer

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fastest folding bike is in my opinion the Dahon EEZZ D3. But it isn't the best in my opinion. But i know people can fold the Brompton under 5 seconds. Not me though
Old 01-25-17, 07:18 AM
marxmini

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dahon Vector X10, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Ti Swift. These are my fastest folding bikes.
Old 08-24-18, 08:42 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
FnHon Monsoon
Old 08-25-18, 10:24 AM
fietsbob
Banned

a restatement [see #13 ]

The design of the Bike Friday Tikit, Hyperfold was around having the folding action be very fast. (ready to multimode transition , quickly.

Rider effort expended, in quest of achieving a maximum velocity
remains the unknown ..variable..

but they have been discontinued in favor of a lighter, simpler design ,
the PakIt, which folds some, & comes apart some ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-25-18 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-26-18, 01:10 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 807 Times in 408 Posts
Birdies are also quite fast; the Classic, or straight frame models can be tricked out to get them under 8kg.
Old 08-26-18, 09:13 AM
Delia Hogue
Banned.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The fastest folding bike is. Which are use by me.

1.Tern Eclipse X22 — The Blackbird.
2.Kinetix Pro X 26er Disc Wheels.
3.Tern Verge S8i — The Super-Commuter.
4.Brompton M6L folding bike.
5.Tern Verge X11.
Old 08-26-18, 06:05 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Fastest folder that I have been on is my Airnimal Chameleon. Faster than my road bike and I can fly it all over for free on Southwest.
Old 08-26-18, 07:18 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Old 08-26-18, 09:23 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
The only way to get an real answer to this question is to put the same "engine" on each bike riding in the exact same circumstances. Or perhaps do some kind of aerdynamic computerized modeling analysis. couple that with the fact that some posters think the thread is about which bike folds the fastest versus which rides the fastest, and this thread is pretty funny.
Old 08-27-18, 05:15 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
The idea is of bikes that best combine 1. low weight, 2. bigger wheel size, and 3. most aerodynamic profile. The idea is of "if the 'engine' is held equal". Obviously.

That Airnimal Chameleon looks pretty sick.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 08-27-18 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-29-18, 11:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Motor pacing is the key to speed,

air resistance is dealt with by the guy in front, you are following closely behind..
Old 08-30-18, 05:34 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
most folders can be fast if set up right imo

Dual drive mezzo and downtube real flyers.
Brompton was great out of the saddle but needed more gears.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.