Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Geraint Thomas to win the tour?

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-18, 06:51 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts

It would appear that Froome is riding for Geraint Thomas? I don't understand what is going on, or is this part of the strategy for Froome to win. I just tuned in to the hill stages and it appears that Sky is riding for Thomas instead of Froome. Can Thomas time trial as good as Froome or is the time trial stage where Froome gets yellow?
Old 07-19-18, 07:57 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
It's interesting, I think it was Greg LeMond who had to fight off his own teammate at one time. And Thomas is a very good time trialist winning the British Time Trail championships.

I did find it a shame that the French were booing Thomas. I can see booing Froome but I guess Thomas is guilty by association.
Old 07-19-18, 08:10 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Thomas said after the finish that he was still riding for Froome, now whether that is true or not we will see. Froome could have attacked when Bardet went but he could not

in the Lemond/Hinault battle, Lemond thought that Hinault was trying to win his 6th Tour, and Hinault constantly said that he was riding for Lemond, but everyone questioned that (even though Lemond did win). There is a book about it called "Slaying the Badger: Greg Lemond and Bernard Hinault, and the greatest Tour de France". It's a great read and really helps in understanding tactics in the tour
Old 07-19-18, 08:11 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Froome and Thomas, both from the UK. The crowd wanted to see either the Dutch rider or Bardet win
Old 07-19-18, 10:54 PM
patrickgm60

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
No, Froome is riding for Froome. Obvious in Stage 12, chasing down GT, dragging other GC contenders behind him. Very un-teamish.
Old 07-20-18, 12:53 AM
markjenn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Sky is so dominant that they can typically get both Froome and Thomas into the final group on mountain stages, so there is no need for either to ride for the other or choose who is the "lead" rider; they can get both of them out front near the end and then just let them attack each other if they choose. It's a dream scenario for Sky. They do need for Froome to get some separation from a couple of riders, but that will come in the next mountain stage.

It is painfully obvious no other team has the strength to contend for the GC. So other teams will be left to fight over stage wins and getting in breakaways. While I would prefer to have someone from a non-Sky team contending, at least this way we might get at least an intra-squad battle for the top GC spot.

- Mark

Last edited by markjenn; 07-20-18 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07-20-18, 01:42 AM
hobbs1951
Velominatus

Bikes: 1986 SBDU Raleigh, 1984 Raleigh Corsa, 1980 Allin Stan Butler Special, 2 x late 1960s Roberts, 1978 Philbook, 1964 Allin Belgique, 1959 Allin Stan Butler Special, 1951 Higgins Plus Parfait, 1951 Hobbs of Barbican, 1913 Centaur Featherweight.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
Froome and Thomas, both from the UK. The crowd wanted to see either the Dutch rider or Bardet win
Froome was born in Africa, and came to the UK in 2007 - his adoption of British nationality was a pragmatic one. Is not unfair to expect the Dutch to have wanted a Dutchman to win on the Alpe, nor should it be a surprise that they'd prefer Bardet to either Thomas or Froome.

For obvious reasons.

The situation that now exists is an interesting one, if Sky's strategy is for a Froome win, then how are they going to deal with Thomas's time advantage when clearly Thomas has the form he has ?

If you were Thomas and confident that you could win in Paris would you follow team orders ? Team Sky care little for the well being of cycling, yet Thomas may - who knows ?

I'm not a Team Sky fan.

John.

Last edited by hobbs1951; 07-20-18 at 01:48 AM.
Old 07-20-18, 02:17 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by MyTi
It would appear that Froome is riding for Geraint Thomas? I don't understand what is going on, or is this part of the strategy for Froome to win. I just tuned in to the hill stages and it appears that Sky is riding for Thomas instead of Froome. Can Thomas time trial as good as Froome or is the time trial stage where Froome gets yellow?
I don't think Froome is riding for Geraint Thomas, they are riding for themselves while not assisting other GC threats like Dumoulin. Sky (Kwiatowski & Co) are for F&T then they both do their thing individually. No Thomas isn't as good as Froome or Dumoulin at TTing but the TT is still a way off.
Old 07-20-18, 10:43 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Looked like GT only edged out the pack to claim the yellow jersey because Froome was right there too.
Old 07-20-18, 11:57 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Originally Posted by McBTC
Looked like GT only edged out the pack to claim the yellow jersey because Froome was right there too.
He had the yellow jersey in the bag on Stage 11 once GvA was dropped early on and Stevan Kruijswijk was caught on the final climb. That he was leading on GC after Stage 11 had nothing to do with Froome who was trailing GT by 00'59" from Stage 10. The only way Dumoulin would have taken yellow would have been if he had finished over 01'20" ahead of GT.
Old 07-20-18, 12:14 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
It looked like Froome was fading a bit at the end of the Alpe d' Huez climb and GT had the legs over everyone. I could almost see there being a ITT battle between Froome and GT.

Thought puzzle...what would happen if Froome had a mechanical with no other team support than GT? Would he be ordered to give his wheel or bike to Froome or would Sky allow him to keep riding to protect his jersey? Hummmm?
Old 07-20-18, 01:01 PM
Caretaker
Heretic

Originally Posted by bikecrate

Thought puzzle...what would happen if Froome had a mechanical with no other team support than GT? Would he be ordered to give his wheel or bike to Froome or would Sky allow him to keep riding to protect his jersey? Hummmm?
No, either of them having a mechanical would have to wait for the team/neutral car.
Old 07-21-18, 04:10 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
thomas is just as competent in the penultimate stage tt as froomie-if not more so currently. unless one of them has un jour sans between now and then, that will be their mano y mano
battle for the maillot jaune. my bet is on thomas. still many difficult stages and scenarios between now & then. if thomas gets through the pyrenees ahead, even or slightly behind froomie,
i think he dropes the hamer (my apologies to the road forum) ftw.
Old 07-21-18, 04:18 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
as for great britain to come from nowhere to being the biggest player in track and road cycling in the last decade says something. akin to the chinese
swimmers in the same time frame. not expecting it to end well. twere i the queen, i wouldn't be so hot to trot on knighting cyclists...
Old 07-21-18, 04:58 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Even though the tdf is quite one sided again the new rivalry between the two sky teammates is providing some much needed drama. Hinault and Lemond comes to mind...but also Contador/Armstrong rivalry comes to mind as well. In this case however froome and Thomas are around the same age I think and both are at their peak level. I’m sure both cheat but to me that doesn’t matter any more. As long as they cheat responsibly and do not endanger their health.
Old 07-21-18, 07:48 AM
Pemetic2006

Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MyTi
Even though the tdf is quite one sided again the new rivalry between the two sky teammates is providing some much needed drama. Hinault and Lemond comes to mind...but also Contador/Armstrong rivalry comes to mind as well. In this case however froome and Thomas are around the same age I think and both are at their peak level. I’m sure both cheat but to me that doesn’t matter any more. As long as they cheat responsibly and do not endanger their health.
I agree. I feel bad, sort of, admitting it......but the UCI doesn't care if the riders dope so why should I?
I'm not a Sky fan (not a hater either) so Thomas possibly winning the overall is better than Froome but only.....marginally......so.
Old 07-21-18, 10:19 AM
CerveloJoe

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree that Froome and Thomas are both riding for themselves at the moment. I also feel they will until the end unless one has a bad day and loses fairly significant time. If that occurs, then the rider who loses time will work for the other I'm sure. I believe it's actually advantageous for Sky to have both riders in contention.
Old 07-21-18, 10:36 AM
toast3d

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If Froome wins the tour, he's going to be as hated as Lance.
Old 07-21-18, 11:38 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Now there's talk of Nibali suing the tour... I guess for lack of crowd control, given he's out of the race because a fan's camera strap took him down on Alpe d'Huez a couple of days ago. No one mentioned LA being yanked off his bike-- I guess it was the drugs and not the straps on the woman's musette bag that was at fault...
Old 07-21-18, 11:44 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
Now there's talk of Nibali suing the tour... I guess for lack of crowd control, given he's out of the race because a fan's camera strap took him down on Alpe d'Huez a couple of days ago. No one mentioned LA being yanked off his bike-- I guess it was the drugs and not the straps on the woman's musette bag...

I'm not sure what anyone ASO or not could do on the Alpe. You'd need police interlocking arms to stop them. Which, on a 13.8km mountain means you'd need about 20,000 police thereabouts. Which, isn't realistic or attainable.

Lunatics will always get through...what the police should do is arrest anyone who lights up a road flare. That crap needs to stop.
Old 07-21-18, 01:59 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
It would really suck to have to ride through one of those effing smoke flares.

scott s.
Old 07-21-18, 02:30 PM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Froome is in a low pressure situation. He can basically noodle his way to the podium at this point (relatively speaking).

Or, when Dumoulin attacks, Froome can chase down Dumoulin and counterattack. If GT is able to keep up, great. If not, Froome will be in yellow.

Froome will win the Stage 20 ITT.
Old 07-22-18, 10:01 AM
patrickgm60

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Caretaker
No, either of them having a mechanical would have to wait for the team/neutral car.
What's the TdF rule on that? It seems that team leaders borrow team mates' bikes in a crash, yet I recall a rider being sanctioned for this recently. What am I misremembering/confusing?
Old 07-22-18, 11:21 AM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Thomas now a slight favorite over Froome for the win. Thomas is 6/5, Froome is 6/4
Old 07-22-18, 11:58 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Originally Posted by patrickgm60
What's the TdF rule on that? It seems that team leaders borrow team mates' bikes in a crash, yet I recall a rider being sanctioned for this recently. What am I misremembering/confusing?
You're asking me????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.