Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Personal Scooter

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Personal Scooter

Old 08-12-18, 04:28 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Personal Scooter

I think it was Machka who asked in one of the dockless share threads why people don't just buy their own scooters instead of relying on share systems. This is a reasonable question, considering that scooters fold easily and so they can be carried on buses and other transit more easily than a bicycle.

So do you have a scooter that you carry with you when you take transit? If not, have you thought about getting one? What are factors and concerns that influence your decision? Is price/cost a factor? Do you think it would be too tedious/burdensome to tote a scooter around in addition to whatever else you have to carry? Would the availability of dockless sharing be the deciding factor in whether or not you would use a scooter and, if so, why?

What about the potential for personal scooters to make transit a more attractive/convenient option for more people? What factors do or would influence the general driving-dependent public? Would riding a scooter just seem too weird or out-of-character for most people, or are their less superficial factors? If people found themselves in a financial situation where they would greatly benefit from giving up driving for transit+scooter, do you think most people would embrace the option or just lament not having a car? What is it about car culture that eschews other options and always feels entitled to car ownership?
Old 08-12-18, 05:04 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Machka asked why people don't just have their own bicycles.
Old 08-12-18, 11:41 AM
tandempower

Originally Posted by Machka
Machka asked why people don't just have their own bicycles.
Bicycles are a different issue. Even folding bicycles are difficult to carry on public transit. I once carried one on a Greyhound bus but I had to pack it in a box, which fell apart. Scooters fold up much smaller and you can carry them like a skateboard. In fact, I see scooters as a safer variation on skateboards because they have handlebars.

Personally, I've thought about getting a folding push scooter without any motor because I don't think they go much slower than riding a bike at a casual pace. Really it's just about the efficiency of rolling on ball bearings instead of walking. I just haven't gotten one yet because I don't use public transit that much and when I do, I enjoy walking anyway. I ride bikes for transportation mostly because they are so fast, but I might get a folding push scooter for when I take a bus to another city.
Old 08-12-18, 12:39 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
The only people I see on scooters are children who use them for fun and joy riding. I have never seen an adult using scooters for transportation.
Old 08-12-18, 12:51 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I went there when I was younger. Too dangerous.
Old 08-12-18, 03:56 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
The only people I see on scooters are children who use them for fun and joy riding. I have never seen an adult using scooters for transportation.
I suspect healthy adults riding push/non motorized scooters for transportation purposes are rarer than hen's teeth; anyone have pictures of them that aren't staged for publicity or a promotion of some sort?
Old 08-13-18, 05:38 AM
tandempower

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I suspect healthy adults riding push/non motorized scooters for transportation purposes are rarer than hen's teeth; anyone have pictures of them that aren't staged for publicity or a promotion of some sort?
Are you afraid to do things that are not already popular? If so, what are you afraid of? Ridicule for being 'different?'
Old 08-13-18, 05:51 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by tandempower
Are you afraid to do things that are not already popular? If so, what are you afraid of? Ridicule for being 'different?'
Good non-responsive, non-answer! Is that "critical thinking" in action?

Why not personal Pogo sticks or better yet "ride share" on dockless Pogo sticks? It would be suitably "different" enough for anyone who's apparent goal in life is to be "different". Equally impractical too! Even has the ascetic advantage of being wheel free. What's not to like?

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 08-13-18 at 05:59 AM.
Old 08-13-18, 06:05 AM
tandempower

Why not "ride share" on dockless Pogo sticks?

It would be suitably "different" enough for anyone who's apparent goal in life is to be "different". Equally impractical too! Even has the ascetic advantage of being wheel free. What's not to like?
Wheels/rolling are the key to utilizing Newton's first law of inertia/momentum efficiently. Objects in motion can only tend to stay in motion if they are not acted upon by external force (i.e. friction).

Bikes are good because you can pedal them and use gears to convert leg strength into meaningful forward impulses at even higher speeds. Push scooters lack this gearing so they are only really good to roll at walking/jogging speed, but they are much more efficient than jogging, because they roll while you just stand there and add momentum with the inertia of your body weight.

Push scooters are more efficient than bikes to carry because they fold into a smaller/lighter package. Folding bikes are heavier and bulkier than push scooters.

Skateboards also give you the rolling advantage of wheel bearings, the same as bikes and scooters, but they don't have handlebars so they are more difficult to control and thus more dangerous.

Pogo sticks have to stop and change direction each time they land so they are not efficient for lateral motion.
Old 08-13-18, 07:18 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Wheels/rolling are the key to utilizing Newton's first law of inertia/momentum efficiently. Objects in motion can only tend to stay in motion if they are not acted upon by external force (i.e. friction).

Bikes are good because you can pedal them and use gears to convert leg strength into meaningful forward impulses at even higher speeds. Push scooters lack this gearing so they are only really good to roll at walking/jogging speed, but they are much more efficient than jogging, because they roll while you just stand there and add momentum with the inertia of your body weight.

Push scooters are more efficient than bikes to carry because they fold into a smaller/lighter package. Folding bikes are heavier and bulkier than push scooters.

Skateboards also give you the rolling advantage of wheel bearings, the same as bikes and scooters, but they don't have handlebars so they are more difficult to control and thus more dangerous.

Pogo sticks have to stop and change direction each time they land so they are not efficient for lateral motion.
Does that explain why push scooters are equally non used by adults for transportation, except for the rare "adult" character who uses a push scooter in order to "be different"?
Old 08-13-18, 08:06 AM
tandempower

Does that explain why push scooters are equally non used by adults for transportation, except for the rare "adult" character who uses a push scooter in order to "be different"?
No, that's just the physics/mechanics. What you are talking about involves culture and psychology.

Also, I never said anything about riding a push-scooter to 'be different' because I would never choose a form of transportation as a statement of similarity or difference with other people, real or imagined.

What I asked you was whether you are afraid that riding a push scooter when no else was was because you are afraid of 'being different?' In other words, are you so concerned about social conformity that you would avoid a certain mode of transportation because it is not popular?
Old 08-13-18, 09:34 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Also, I never said anything about riding a push-scooter to 'be different' because I would never choose a form of transportation as a statement of similarity or difference with other people, real or imagined.

What I asked you was whether you are afraid that riding a push scooter when no else was was because you are afraid of 'being different?' In other words, are you so concerned about social conformity that you would avoid a certain mode of transportation because it is not popular?
Of course you never said anything about a desire "to be different". It is a given, based on your posting history.

Are you the fellow so afraid of posting anything personal about himself because of thoughts about conspiracies and enemies who might use such information, but feels free to ponder/ask off-the-wall wacky personal questions of others based on his own fabricated "thinking".

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 08-13-18 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-13-18, 10:12 AM
tandempower

Of course you never said anything about a desire "to be different". It is a given, based on your posting history.
You shouldn't worry about 'being different.' Everyone is different from everyone else. Social-cultural conformity is a bad basis for making choices.

Are you the fellow so afraid of posting anything personal about himself because of thoughts about conspiracies and enemies who might use such information, but feels free to ponder/ask off-the-wall wacky personal questions of others based on his own fabricated "thinking".
I definitely don't trust everyone and why would it be a good idea to do so? All I asked you, on the other hand, is if you would avoid riding a scooter because you are afraid of 'being different?' Are you really so afraid of social nonconformity?
Old 08-13-18, 12:10 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

I definitely don't trust everyone and why would it be a good idea to do so? All I asked you, on the other hand, is if you would avoid riding a scooter because you are afraid of 'being different?' Are you really so afraid of social nonconformity?
Answer your own bizarro question based on the same pseudo psychological assumptions and projections that your so-called question is based upon.

BTW, here is a question for you from the same playbook of so-called constructive discussion that you seem to prefer, "Have you stopped beating your [wife/dog/whatever] yet?"

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 08-13-18 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-13-18, 02:10 PM
tandempower

Answer your own bizarro question based on the same pseudo psychological assumptions and projections that your so-called question is based upon.

BTW, here is a question for you from the same playbook of so-called constructive discussion that you seem to prefer, "Have you stopped beating your [wife/dog/whatever] yet?"
Ok, so you don't want to discuss scooters in a thread about scooters. So why not just stay out of the thread, then?
Old 08-13-18, 02:16 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I have a relative who uses manual scooter for the home to public transport leg. Also a friend who skateboards to work

https://www.cnet.com/news/electric-s...ransportation/
Old 08-13-18, 05:27 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Ok, so you don't want to discuss scooters in a thread about scooters. So why not just stay out of the thread, then?
See https://www.bikeforums.net/20502531-post6.html
Do YOU have any pictures of a healthy adult riding a manual/push scooter for transportation that wasn't staged for a promotion or a news article? Do you ride a push scooter? Do you know any adults who ride a push scooter for transportation? Tell us where your knowledge about their usefulness comes from? Is it the product of a "critical thinking" session?

Where do you get your theories about fear and conspiracies driving people who don't fall for your dreamy schemes about personal transportation? "Critical thinking"?
Old 08-13-18, 05:36 PM
tandempower

Do YOU have any pictures of a healthy adult riding a manual/push scooter for transportation that wasn't staged for a promotion or a news article? Do you ride a push scooter? Do you know any adults who ride a push scooter for transportation? Tell us where your knowledge about their usefulness comes from? Is it the product of a "critical thinking" session?

Where do you get your theories about fear and conspiracies driving people who don't fall for your dreamy schemes about personal transportation? "Critical thinking"?
First of all, putting 'critical thinking' in quotes to ridicule it is uncritical. Second, basing your assessment of push scooters on their relative popularity is uncritical.

If you go back and read my post explaining the simple physics of rolling taking advantage of inertia, as per Newton's first law, you will see a very clear simple example of using critical thinking to analyze why you can sustain a higher average speed with a push scooter than by walking, or jumping on a pogo stick. You may not appreciate clarify because you prefer drunken thought-conformity, but never say that it wasn't explained to you.
Old 08-13-18, 05:43 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Do YOU have any pictures of a healthy adult riding a manual/push scooter for transportation that wasn't staged for a promotion or a news article?
Old 08-13-18, 07:26 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
The scooter on the left actually "may" be usefull for transportation... but, the scooter on the right is a total "fail" IMO for transportation... JMO based on the size of wheels and stem length for actual use as a human powered vehicle… JMO
Old 08-13-18, 08:12 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1577 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 602 Posts
About sums it up (back in 2015): https://www.elitedaily.com/humor/adu...photos/1146376

/thread
Old 08-14-18, 07:31 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I have never seen an adult using scooters for transportation.
I have, and I am not talking just Amish.
Old 08-14-18, 07:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Snap! I have seen them here in the big city plenty of times.
Old 08-14-18, 02:56 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The tiny wheels mean hitting small obstacles at speed may include radical changes to the arangment and constitution of your genitalia.
Old 08-14-18, 03:00 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You’re apparently confused about the difference between discussing a topic and ingesting TP dogma.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.