Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

How Many Close Passes Do You Get Per Ride?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: How Many Close Passes Per Ride
Usually None
39.44%
Occasionally
26.76%
1-2
21.13%
3-4
5.63%
More than 5
7.04%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

How Many Close Passes Do You Get Per Ride?

Old 08-28-18, 08:25 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
It's a lovely piece of road, except for every 15-20 minutes when a car passes. What can I say, I appreciate desolate places. Hell, at least it's not the Outback, but it's close.
Old 08-29-18, 11:27 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
That is one hideous looking piece of road.

I'm fortunate to have good roads and accommodating drivers. In the rural area where I live, I get one or two close passes a year. Riding in the city it doesn't go up very much. Part of that has to do with the roads I travel. One long section is a wide 4 lane divided road with bike lanes and another section has sharrows so I'm in the lane and no one is passing. There are other parts of the city that I expect would be much worse. And those areas probably have more riders.
Welcome to the west.

I don't know about this spot, but there are spots in the west where something like this is the ONLY road.

And that gnarly broken up stuff... quite common in San Diego... the city, where there is lots of traffic... and again, the road you are on may be the only road connecting two mesas.
Old 08-30-18, 03:28 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Not every ride but often enough. Most of the time those are city buses, but occasionally also a car, like that b*tch this morning who almost pushed me into the curb.

Most annoying thing about country roads is the tendency for drivers to pass each other, right as I'm being passed by the car in my lane, so you have 2 cars and a bike alongside each other.
I quite often have a situation where the oncoming car is passing another on a narrow road (also on city streets), so you also have 2 cars and a bike alongside each other, only the cars and the bike are going the opposite directions.. Granted, the upside is that you and the passing car see each other, but at the same time he's making the move seeing perfectly well that there is oncoming traffic, i.e. you, and chooses just to ignore that.
Old 08-30-18, 04:29 AM
Colnago Mixte

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
Not every ride but often enough. Most of the time those are city buses, but occasionally also a car, like that b*tch this morning who almost pushed me into the curb.

I quite often have a situation where the oncoming car is passing another on a narrow road (also on city streets), so you also have 2 cars and a bike alongside each other, only the cars and the bike are going the opposite directions.. Granted, the upside is that you and the passing car see each other, but at the same time he's making the move seeing perfectly well that there is oncoming traffic, i.e. you, and chooses just to ignore that.
Very aggravating when someone takes your lane of travel away from you like that, as though you had no right to even be there. It's worst when it happens on 55 mph roads with no shoulder. People can be incredibly selfish while in their cars, they do things from behind tons of metal and tinted glass, they would never do to they if they had to look the other person in the eye directly.
Old 08-30-18, 06:05 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
Very aggravating when someone takes your lane of travel away from you like that, as though you had no right to even be there. It's worst when it happens on 55 mph roads with no shoulder.

People can be incredibly selfish while in their cars, they do things from behind tons of metal and tinted glass, they would never do to they if they had to look the other person in the eye directly.
I have posted previously on this and other A&S threads, in my darkest thoughts:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I’m not a confrontational person, but under the stress of a sudden encounter, I do react to my satisfaction, FWIW, without the danger of a greater retaliation:
I have those exact thoughts whenever I am passed, even when not too close by motorist who does not slow down or move over slightly, just as an indication that they notice me. I always think those self-absorbed cagers are only restrained by the thought of scratching their cars, or the hassle of filing police reports.

My only satisfactory retribution is to give them my previously-described Bicyclist Curse. (I repeatedly jab my pointed right index finger in their direction, while shouting an accusatory, ”You, you, you…”). The possibility of metaphysical retribution is more satisfying than the middle finger.

I do also bestow Bicyclist Blessings on drivers who show even a modicum of respect, with a wave of the hand...
Old 08-30-18, 06:26 AM
Colnago Mixte

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
If a motorist really does something nice, I do the three part "Catholic priest-type" blessing they do at the end of Mass. Makes me feel more Italian, and a good deal holier than I actually am in real life.
Old 08-30-18, 08:36 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
My only satisfactory retribution is to give them my previously-described Bicyclist Curse. (I repeatedly jab my pointed right index finger in their direction, while shouting an accusatory, ”You, you, you…”). The possibility of metaphysical retribution is more satisfying than the middle finger.

I do also bestow Bicyclist Blessings on drivers who show even a modicum of respect, with a wave of the hand...
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
If a motorist really does something nice, I do the three part "Catholic priest-type" blessing they do at the end of Mass. Makes me feel more Italian, and a good deal holier than I actually am in real life.
I’m impressed; got any good curses ?

I have previously posted about my epiphany that introduced me to adult cycling, and empowered me to bestow curses and blessings:
I can precisely identify the day my adult cycling lifestyle was sparked back in May of 1970 when I rode my roomate’s Chestnut Brown Varsity, the first derailleured bike I ever rode. I needed to run a few errands encompassing a distance of a few miles. Being in a college town, I did not have (or really need) a car, and the bus system was too cumbersome to make all the stops I had planned.

I was amazed at how quickly and conveniently I could get around on that beautiful Spring day and in particular because I grew up in Detroit. I alluded about it in my Introdution to Bike Forums.

My roommate and I did some riding together in Ann Arbor, and I refer to him as my cycling guru. I have occasionally quoted on Bike Forums his remark one day as the skies unexpectedly cleared as we were about to go out on a ride, “God smiles on His bicyclists.”

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-31-18 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-30-18, 08:42 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
We have a lot of good bike infrastructure in my area (Minneapolis), you can plan a good/fun route that avoids any shared space with auto-traffic. However, frequently I'm riding somewhere specific and there's no way there that avoids all shared infra and when I'm 'sharing the road', punish passes happen every ride.
Old 08-30-18, 05:26 PM
Colnago Mixte

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I’m impressed; got any good curses ?

I have previously posted about my epiphany that introduced me to adult cycling, and empowered me to bestow curses and blessings:
Curses? Just the usual ones everyone else uses. If I'm in a good mood, I'll dust off an old Johnny Carson line like "May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who just passed too close to me, and may his arms be too short to scratch" or "May your proctologist be a frustrated concert trombonist".

And speaking of "punishment passes" this is a bad one. I've had only one or two in my life this close, but never from a truck that big:

Old 08-30-18, 05:37 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I'd say if you are doing it right you get very few close passes. That's my experience anyway.
Exactly this ^^^^. Take the lane when too narrow to allow passing. Over the past 6 years since I started commuting by bike I can count close passes on one hand.
Old 08-31-18, 07:26 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

That's not my experience, my commute includes a couple 4-lane 40 mph roads. I controlling the right lane and have drivers split lanes so that they can punish-pass, there is no other reason for driver to fail to move completely to the left lane except to threaten/intimidate the rider. This happens at least once a week.
Old 08-31-18, 08:21 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
That's not my experience, my commute includes a couple 4-lane 40 mph roads. I controlling the right lane and have drivers split lanes so that they can punish-pass, there is no other reason for driver to fail to move completely to the left lane except to threaten/intimidate the rider. This happens at least once a week.
This happens to me on occasion also. But since I always position myself to have some space to my right, and monitor overtaking traffic in my mirror, I can mitigate even these "punish passes" you speak of. Usually to a point where I wouldn't even consider it a close pass.
Old 08-31-18, 08:24 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
This happens to me on occasion also. But since I always position myself to have some space to my right, and monitor overtaking traffic in my mirror, I can mitigate even these "punish passes" you speak of. Usually to a point where I wouldn't even consider it a close pass.
True, I do move right when a driver tries to punish-pass... and I give them a big smile and wave, nothing messes with an angry person like a friendly response. But the intent of the person in the car is still clearly there, and to me that still counts as a close pass. I understand that's debatable.
Old 08-31-18, 08:35 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
True, I do move right when a driver tries to punish-pass... and I give them a big smile and wave, nothing messes with an angry person like a friendly response. But the intent of the person in the car is still clearly there, and to me that still counts as a close pass. I understand that's debatable.
Agreed, if there was "intent" to close pass. I don't believe I can always tell though. Sometimes, sure, it's plain as day. They just wanted to teach the cyclist a lesson. Other times it's just a driver being lazy and not wanting to move over any farther than they feel they need to.
Old 09-04-18, 02:23 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
It has not been a concern of mine for well over a decade. I can't think of one close pass I did not encourage or set myself up for.
If I am in a bike lane left biased I may occasionally get a close pass by a motorist who watches the line instead of other vehicles, but nothing unexpected so I don't do anything to avoid it.
Old 09-07-18, 08:05 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I get one or two per week of about 200km of riding. But then again I choose my route very carefully. Nd even that one or two are not actually that close when I look at the video, and probably outside one meter. But they feel closet at the time.
Old 09-22-18, 07:10 PM
Colnago Mixte

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I had a milestone today. Guy in a gigantic maroon Ford pickup truck close passes me, with his mirror buzzing a foot away, right past my ear. Cop has a bird's eye view of the whole thing, but does absolutely nothing. Folks, sorry to say it, but the 3 foot rule is dead in this state.

Old 09-24-18, 08:51 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Serious question: how are you (everyone) measuring your "close" passes? Is it the subjective feeling of being at risk from the pass?

Very occasionally I get a pass that I think was intended to be "punish passes" because the driver is accelerating sharply at the same time, loud engine roar. I don't really care about that if it didn't seem to put me at risk, so is that a "close pass"? If a driver really wants to "punish" me he should stop and attempt it in person, but that has never happened so I think they're just fooling themselves.

On the other hand I get some passes that are physically close but at such low speed that I feel no particular danger from it. I don't count those as "close" either. But I'm interested in the question. What I'd really like is to set up some equipment and actually measure the distance and passing speed. I'm thinking optical, with a reference spot shining on the road surface which I could do with an android phone and laser pointer. Since sonar is trickier than you'd think to implement, and other methods are quite expensive.
Old 09-24-18, 09:02 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I've felt a side-view mirror brush against the sleeve of my jersey-- does that count as close?

Yesterday an 18-wheeler passed me and the wife at probably right at the 3' mark-- but he was doing about 50 in a 35, and ran the red light at the intersection we were approaching. It felt really close. Enough to make the HR bump up a little.
Old 09-24-18, 09:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
It's 4' in PA, where I live.
Old 09-24-18, 09:15 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I, unfortunately, had to think about this thread on Sunday. Usually I ride around in the city and close passes are not the norm, but they do happen. Most of the time I don't worry about it too much. However, I was riding in the rural part of the county on Sunday. I was in a wide outside lane on a quiet road. I hear a car coming up behind me and move a bit over to the right of the outside lane. The car passes a few inches from my handle bars as a dirtball kid yells something unintelligible out the passenger window.