Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Will eye contact work?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Will eye contact work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-18, 12:40 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Will eye contact work?

I know a number of you have expressed doubts about whether self driving cars can see you, or how do you know if you've been seen.

Would "eye contact" be enough to assure you that the automated car has seen you?
https://www.techradar.com/news/jagua...trians-at-ease

Pedestrians and cyclists struggle to trust self-driving cars, but Jaguar Land Rover believes it may have a solution: 'virtual eyes' that stare at fellow road users, letting them know they've been seen.
Old 09-01-18, 12:45 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
That would be nice, currently it's frustrating to have a human driver wait for me at a stop, since I can't tell if they're even looking at me.

This will also give me nightmares about a post apocalyptic world of Thomas the tank engine.
Old 09-01-18, 12:49 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I am pretty sure that if the car hit me in the eye, whether it saw me or not would be moot.
Old 09-01-18, 12:50 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I am pretty sure that if the car hit me in the eye, whether it saw me or not would be moot.
Why would it hit you, if it saw you?
Old 09-01-18, 01:11 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

I have made eye contact with human drivers who proceeded to pull right out in front of me ... why would human-designed AI be different?

if I gave you a free light bulb, would you lighten up?
Old 09-01-18, 01:41 PM
genec
genec

I have made eye contact with human drivers who proceeded to pull right out in front of me ... why would human-designed AI be different?

if I gave you a free light bulb, would you lighten up?
Old 09-02-18, 07:08 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
A bit creepy, that weird car ogling the woman. Is it an indication of awareness, a flirt, or an outright leer (notice how the lids are lowered). Could be a challenge like " Don't you dare step out in front of me!"

Instead of this whimsy, how 'bout just a simple message screen on the front with text that describes what the car is doing. Like "Ok, to cross, I'm waiting for you."
Old 09-02-18, 07:27 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
Instead of this whimsy, how 'bout just a simple message screen on the front with text that describes what the car is doing. Like "Ok, to cross, I'm waiting for you."
What happens next, when the the person standing at the curb chooses not (or has no intention) to cross the street when commanded by the "messaging" AI vehicle, how long will the AI vehicle wait? What message will be directed to the drivers of the vehicles stuck behind the infinitely patient AI vehicle?
Old 09-02-18, 08:34 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
According to the article, "perception of safety" is a goal of autonomous vehicle manufacturers.

Like so many aspects of politics and civic projects, "perception" is more important than actuality. Like when the appearance of a bike makes it look better-suited to a task than it actually is.

Then there's that goofy uber-modern "emoticons over text" ethos with googly eyes rather than as @Hoopdriver puts it, "...just a simple message screen on the front with text that describes what the car is doing".

Now excuse me while this old curmudgeon goes to yell at a cloud.
Old 09-02-18, 08:38 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
No. The answer is no, the simulation of eye-contact is NOT enough. It doesn't work with human drivers and it would not reassure me that the autonomous bus isn't going to surge forward.
Old 09-02-18, 08:41 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
A bit creepy, that weird car ogling the woman. Is it an indication of awareness, a flirt, or an outright leer (notice how the lids are lowered). Could be a challenge like " Don't you dare step out in front of me!"

There are college campuses with "anti-gawking rules" nowadays. That car would be totally busted if it were a human in a college town, and looking at a woman that way.

I was thinking maybe the car could wag his tail, an an indication he's a "friendly car". Would those blue eyes ever have a psychotic break and start running people over for no reason?

"I'm sorry Dave. The light has changed, and you're now jaywalking. I really can't allow you to do that, and my programming allows me to roll right over you like you don't exist. And no court in the land can ever convict me!!! See you in hell, human."
Old 09-02-18, 08:45 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What happens next, when the the person standing at the curb chooses not (or has no intention) to cross the street when commanded by the "messaging" AI vehicle, how long will the AI vehicle wait? What message will be directed to the drivers of the vehicles stuck behind the infinitely patient AI vehicle?
There will be an LCD panel on the front that mouths "FU" before waiting 3 seconds to accelerate.
Old 09-02-18, 09:54 AM
Maelochs

Seriously (as serious as I can get in this thread,) unless the AI car said "Cyclist wearing (whatever I was wearing) on my right preparing to cross, I recognize you" I wouldn't trust an AI signal. Otherwise I wouldn't know exactly what the AV thought it saw---me, a pedestrian somewhere else, a waving tree-branch .... maybe a squirrel in a tree beside me.

Also good would be signal lights across the front---if the light is red, the AV is electronically prohibited from moving, amber, free to move in ten seconds, green, free to move. That should give a person ten seconds ... just enough time to get halfway across the road.
Old 09-02-18, 10:15 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Car could growl when it feels threatened, and roll over for tummy rubs if it likes you, or to show submission.
Old 09-02-18, 10:41 AM
genec
genec

Seriously (as serious as I can get in this thread,) unless the AI car said "Cyclist wearing (whatever I was wearing) on my right preparing to cross, I recognize you" I wouldn't trust an AI signal. Otherwise I wouldn't know exactly what the AV thought it saw---me, a pedestrian somewhere else, a waving tree-branch .... maybe a squirrel in a tree beside me.

Also good would be signal lights across the front---if the light is red, the AV is electronically prohibited from moving, amber, free to move in ten seconds, green, free to move. That should give a person ten seconds ... just enough time to get halfway across the road.
Actually, the "light display" idea has also been proposed.

All this in an effort to get that two way communication that supposedly happens when humans meet on the road...
Old 09-02-18, 10:59 AM
Maelochs

I say ... if armed teachers make schools safer, armed cyclists would make traffic safer.
Old 09-02-18, 10:59 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by genec
Actually, the "light display" idea has also been proposed.
Lots of "ideas" and schemes are proposed. Many, if not most, are tossed after any serious or rational thought is given.
Old 09-02-18, 11:19 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Lots of "ideas" and schemes are proposed. Many, if not most, are tossed after any serious or rational thought is given.
Time will tell my friend, time will tell.

Remember when the flivver was considered a "dangerous, noisy, contraption" not fit to share the rutted road with horses and humans? Even back then there were laws that required that the nasty thing be lead by a flag waving human, so as to alert the other humans. Yeah, that idea was finally tossed too.
Old 09-02-18, 12:05 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Remember when...
You forgot to mention smartphones, the often cited "proof" that every idea/proposal/scheme has the potential to take off.
Old 09-02-18, 07:45 PM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I'm not sure, I've made eye contact with humans, even seen evidence of them seeing me, even gotten 'the nod' and had them pull out on me anyway. Some just space out, others do it on purpose. I can't fathom that we would get anything better from a self driving car.
Old 09-03-18, 11:30 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Remember when the flivver was considered a "dangerous, noisy, contraption" not fit to share the rutted road with horses and humans? Even back then there were laws that required that the nasty thing be lead by a flag waving human, so as to alert the other humans. Yeah, that idea was finally tossed too.
Definitely need to bring that back...

My suspicion is that we will end up with either special frequency lights and/or transponders on our bikes to clue in self driving cars. If we were transmitting our speed/vector it would make it easier for the car to avoid us and not have to calculate where we are and where we are going.
Old 09-03-18, 11:46 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by rgconner
Definitely need to bring that back...

My suspicion is that we will end up with either special frequency lights and/or transponders on our bikes to clue in self driving cars. If we were transmitting our speed/vector it would make it easier for the car to avoid us and not have to calculate where we are and where we are going.
That calculation is done in microseconds. (the computing power is NOT the limitation) I'd rather not rely on some transponder battery for my place on the road. That issue is annoying enough when it comes to headlights and blinkies.
Old 09-03-18, 11:52 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Rootman
I'm not sure, I've made eye contact with humans, even seen evidence of them seeing me, even gotten 'the nod' and had them pull out on me anyway. Some just space out, others do it on purpose. I can't fathom that we would get anything better from a self driving car.
Self driving cars are not emotional like humans... are not likely to "space out" on you on a whim, like a human can and will.

Thus far, self driving cars seem to be "failing" when either hit by a human driver, (most of the collisions between AVs and others) or when their software is "crippled" by human operators (death in AZ). The actual "seeing" aspect seems to be working.

BTW spectacular "Tesla" crashes do not count as AV failures... those vehicles were not designed nor intended to be self driving... yet.
Old 09-03-18, 11:52 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
That would be nice, currently it's frustrating to have a human driver wait for me at a stop, since I can't tell if they're even looking at me.

This will also give me nightmares about a post apocalyptic world of Thomas the tank engine.
It causes "confusion and delay."
Old 09-03-18, 01:45 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
That calculation is done in microseconds. (the computing power is NOT the limitation) I'd rather not rely on some transponder battery for my place on the road. That issue is annoying enough when it comes to headlights and blinkies.
Or it does not happen at all, or the calculation is wrong. Just ask the bicyclist in Arizona... oh wait. You can't.

IFF exists for reason, it is to make sure the computers are less likely to make mistakes.

If you can't keep track of battery levels, that seems your problem, not a technical problem. Probably be built into your phone or your lights anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.