Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

ItalVega Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-18, 01:57 PM
RogueJay

Bikes: Colnago ACR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ItalVega Help

Okay, so I'm trying to post this again. I'm a newbie so if it's redundant, I apologize. I'm also not going to add pictures (they're in my album is interested) as I think this was the reason I was unable to post.

A client gave me an ItalVega but it is lacking identifying decals. Based upon research I've done, I think I have an early 1970 Nuovo Record (it's the exact same white frame as in the 4-3-11 post entitled "'Italian' Univega.") The serial number on mine looks to be "Star" 375900 "Star."

I'd love to find out exactly what year it is, worth, and model.

If this posts, I'll try to add pictures as I know this is the only way anyone can help me with this.
Thanks in advance!
Old 10-02-18, 02:16 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

If the "Star" is six pointed it could have been placed by a licensing agency.

The first two years or so they came through with a headplate made from stamped sheet.

Beginning about year three they came through with a moulded 3D headplate.

The NR model had a frame of three-tube Columbus DB. It had Campag 1010 droputs but stamped fork ends. Chrome head lugs, fork crown and half blades & stays.

Fork crown is full sloping. There should be a small gold script transfer on the chainstay reading "Designed by Torresini."

Chainset was Stronglight 49D. Gear ensemble was Campag NR. Brakeset Universal 61. 3TTT Record stem & bar set. Sheffield pedals. Steel saddle pillar. Wheels were FIAMME Red label tubulars w/Campag NT (or Gnutti) hubs.

​​​​​​​-----

Last edited by juvela; 10-02-18 at 02:22 PM. Reason: spellin'
Old 10-04-18, 04:07 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
I am building a similar bike now . It is actually a Gran rally , maybe a little later than yours . Mine has 5 point stars on both sides of the serial # . Both the Nuovo Record and the Gran Rally had the most chrome . I think these bikes have a fair amount of value as they are Italian made with decent components and frame geometry. They were made at the Torpado factory , I am told. You will get lots of help here , there seems to be a following on them. Joe
Old 10-05-18, 08:01 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I'm leaning towards the frame being a Super Record based on several features. The Columbus decal is rectangular, as opposed to the triangular tretubi decal used on the Nuovo Record. The fork dropouts appears to be forged, as opposed to the stamped dropouts typically seen on the Nuovo Record. Finally, the rear brake cable uses clips, as opposed to the brazed-on stops seen on the Nuovo Record. The Super Light and Super Speciale also shared these frame features but neither had the half-chromed stays of the Super Record. Of course, the definitive answer will be provided by an examination of the fork's steerer tube. A Super Record will have a Columbus steerer tube with the dove logo stamped on the outside and five helical ridges on the inside, at the bottom.

Regarding age, I would say mid-1970s but that can be narrowed down from the patent date stamped into the top pivot housing of the Campagnolo Nuovo Record rear derailleur.
Old 10-07-18, 05:24 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Hi, I don’t see your album or a link, could you post that?
Old 10-08-18, 06:47 AM
RogueJay

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mech986
Hi, I don’t see your album or a link, could you post that?
Bike Forums isn't allowing me to upload. I'll try and another way to display.
Old 10-08-18, 01:09 PM
RogueJay

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

If the "Star" is six pointed it could have been placed by a licensing agency.

The first two years or so they came through with a headplate made from stamped sheet.

Beginning about year three they came through with a moulded 3D headplate.

The NR model had a frame of three-tube Columbus DB. It had Campag 1010 droputs but stamped fork ends. Chrome head lugs, fork crown and half blades & stays.

Fork crown is full sloping. There should be a small gold script transfer on the chainstay reading "Designed by Torresini."

Chainset was Stronglight 49D. Gear ensemble was Campag NR. Brakeset Universal 61. 3TTT Record stem & bar set. Sheffield pedals. Steel saddle pillar. Wheels were FIAMME Red label tubulars w/Campag NT (or Gnutti) hubs.

-----
What is making it a bit challenging is that the former rider did some customizing: wheels are Mavics with Shimano hubs, brakes/derailleurs are Campy Nuovo Record, crankset is Ofmega. Hoping to be able to post pics or a link soon.
Old 10-09-18, 06:07 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by RogueJay
Bike Forums isn't allowing me to upload. I'll try and another way to display.
I think you need at least 10 posts before you can link or upload. Post a few more times and see.
Old 10-09-18, 06:50 PM
RogueJay

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Picures

Originally Posted by mech986
I think you need at least 10 posts before you can link or upload. Post a few more times and see.

Hoping I "qualify" to post pictures.
Likes For RogueJay:
Old 10-10-18, 05:34 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Nice bike. I like it a lot, columbus tubing, lots of chrome and campy parts but the hubs don't seem quite right on a bike from 1970 as you'd expect high flange hubs. The seatpost is backwards and the saddle is crummy. That's just nitpicking though; this is a fine bike. I'd buy it
Old 10-10-18, 08:45 AM
Kabuki12

That bike looks a lot like my Gran Rally with the exception of the brazed on cable stop for the RD. Same dropouts and chrome as mine , fork looks identical . Mine has the triangular columbus sticker.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 10-10-18, 08:55 AM
Kabuki12

Similar serial numbering
I am not sure of the sequencing that was going on. the date stamps on the components on mine is mostly 1972
Old 10-10-18, 04:43 PM
juvela

-----

Chainset is first generation OFMEGA Competizione.

Headset clues us that some of the fittings represent upgrades from OEM.

Wheels likely to be original Gnutti hubs with FIAMME red label tubular rims.

Brakeset, pillar & KKT Pro-Ace pedals the most glaring non-OEM bits.

-----

Last edited by juvela; 10-10-18 at 05:10 PM. Reason: addition
Old 10-15-18, 02:31 PM
RogueJay

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks/Pics

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I am building a similar bike now . It is actually a Gran rally , maybe a little later than yours . Mine has 5 point stars on both sides of the serial # . Both the Nuovo Record and the Gran Rally had the most chrome . I think these bikes have a fair amount of value as they are Italian made with decent components and frame geometry. They were made at the Torpado factory , I am told. You will get lots of help here , there seems to be a following on them. Joe
Thanks, Joe. Mine also has 5-point star on either side of the S#.

Last edited by RogueJay; 10-15-18 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-15-18, 02:35 PM
RogueJay

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Nice bike. I like it a lot, columbus tubing, lots of chrome and campy parts but the hubs don't seem quite right on a bike from 1970 as you'd expect high flange hubs. The seatpost is backwards and the saddle is crummy. That's just nitpicking though; this is a fine bike. I'd buy it
Yeah, hubs are Shimano; not what came on the originals.
Old 10-15-18, 02:38 PM
RogueJay

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re-paint?

Similar serial numbering
I am not sure of the sequencing that was going on. the date stamps on the components on mine is mostly 1972
-So are you thinking of repainting it or leaving as is? First owner spray painted over a decal on the top tube so I think this devalues it which has me wanting to refurbish it with some fresh paint & decals. Thoughts?
Old 10-15-18, 02:47 PM
RogueJay

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Campy Stamp

Originally Posted by T-Mar
I'm leaning towards the frame being a Super Record based on several features. The Columbus decal is rectangular, as opposed to the triangular tretubi decal used on the Nuovo Record. The fork dropouts appears to be forged, as opposed to the stamped dropouts typically seen on the Nuovo Record. Finally, the rear brake cable uses clips, as opposed to the brazed-on stops seen on the Nuovo Record. The Super Light and Super Speciale also shared these frame features but neither had the half-chromed stays of the Super Record. Of course, the definitive answer will be provided by an examination of the fork's steerer tube. A Super Record will have a Columbus steerer tube with the dove logo stamped on the outside and five helical ridges on the inside, at the bottom.

Regarding age, I would say mid-1970s but that can be narrowed down from the patent date stamped into the top pivot housing of the Campagnolo Nuovo Record rear derailleur.

Is this what you're referring to on the rear derailleur? If so, then this is a '72. Correct?
Old 10-15-18, 02:52 PM
RogueJay

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Steerer Tube

Originally Posted by T-Mar

I looked on the fork's steerer tube and didn't see any stamps. would these be very small or easy to see/recognize?
Old 10-15-18, 03:00 PM
RogueJay

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Oem?

-----

Chainset is first generation OFMEGA Competizione.

Headset clues us that some of the fittings represent upgrades from OEM.

Wheels likely to be original Gnutti hubs with FIAMME red label tubular rims.

Brakeset, pillar & KKT Pro-Ace pedals the most glaring non-OEM bits.

-----
Newbie question: what does OEM stand for?
Old 10-15-18, 03:15 PM
juvela

-------

OEM = original equipment manufacturer

in this context it refers to fittings on the bicycle which would have been factory original

----

it is also sometimes employed to refer to "factory" replacement parts as opposed to aftermarket or greymarket ones, as in the automobile trade

-----
Old 10-15-18, 03:26 PM
Kabuki12

-So are you thinking of repainting it or leaving as is? First owner spray painted over a decal on the top tube so I think this devalues it which has me wanting to refurbish it with some fresh paint & decals. Thoughts?
I think repainting is up to the individual. I have only repainted 1 bike and that was because it spent 12 years on a sailboat, that being said ,I would probably not do it . This Italvega is going to be my patina bike! I will not repaint it. I have started putting the bike back together and after polishing/cleaning all the components it actually looks kind of cool, sort of like a story to tell. As far as value goes, I don't think on these particular bikes it is a huge deal. The history is cool and all that but again it is the pleasure YOU get out of the bike that matters, none of us are going to gain huge financially either way. Just my two cents, Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 10-15-18, 04:39 PM
RogueJay

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
-------

OEM = original equipment manufacturer

in this context it refers to fittings on the bicycle which would have been factory original

----

it is also sometimes employed to refer to "factory" replacement parts as opposed to aftermarket or greymarket ones, as in the automobile trade

-----
I thought so; just wanted to be certain.
Old 10-15-18, 04:43 PM
RogueJay

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think repainting is up to the individual. I have only repainted 1 bike and that was because it spent 12 years on a sailboat, that being said ,I would probably not do it . This Italvega is going to be my patina bike! I will not repaint it. I have started putting the bike back together and after polishing/cleaning all the components it actually looks kind of cool, sort of like a story to tell. As far as value goes, I don't think on these particular bikes it is a huge deal. The history is cool and all that but again it is the pleasure YOU get out of the bike that matters, none of us are going to gain huge financially either way. Just my two cents, Joe
Thanks for confirming what I felt too (individual taste; not huge financial gains one way or the other.) It's cleaning up nicely but that top tube with the hack paint job will bug me especially since I'm a professional painter by trade!
Old 10-15-18, 05:17 PM
T-Mar

....Is this what you're referring to on the rear derailleur? If so, then this is a '72. Correct?
The stamp indcates the subject derailleur was manufactrured in 1972. However, this does not necessarily mean the bicycle itself is a 1972 model. If the derailleur was manufactured in late 1972, it may have been used on a 1973 model. Also, itlaian manufacturers were notorious for not rotating their component stock, so I wouldn't rule out a 1974 model. Assuming the derailleur is OEM, the bicycle is most likely 1972-1973 and possibly 1974.
Old 10-15-18, 05:48 PM
T-Mar

I looked on the fork's steerer tube and didn't see any stamps. would these be very small or easy to see/recognize?

The dove logo is not that small (see photo) but sometimes the impression can be very faint. The presence of a Columbus steerer tube can also be verified by the presence of five helical inside the bottom of the tube (see photo). These are only 3.5mm wide and 0,35mm thick and can sometimes be obscured by dirt and/or corrosion on older forks. Given the presence of Campagnolo dropouts on the fork and the rectangular Columbus decal, I'd expect a Columbus steerer tube, which would confirm a full Columbus frameset.

Likes For T-Mar:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.