Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Light touring.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Light touring.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-18, 09:16 PM
Loc123000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Light touring.

Looking for light touring in rails to trails p. GAP trail. Sold my can I dale quick 4. Looking at Salsa Vaya or trek 520.

Want an upright riding positon. Weekend rider only. Maybe one or two overnighter per year. No tents or such. Just clothes.

Looking for for suggestions or ideas.

Seems s I like a one size smaller frame.
Old 10-06-18, 03:23 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
great choice!

have fun!
Old 10-06-18, 05:17 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Personally, I’d go Vaya over 520 for the riding you’re describing. It’s meant for lighter touring, whereas the Trek is designed for a little heavier touring. Generally speaking, the Vaya will therefore handle a little better and be more fun to ride. As for upright position, talk to the bike shop about putting on some nice upright bars with some back sweep, and probably MTB trigger shifters when you buy the bike. If you have them do it then, they shouldn’t charge much for the swap. If they do want to charge you for everything, make sure you get your other parts that would have come on the bike. If the bike comes with road shifters and brakes and they want to charge you regular price for the MTB parts, you’re still paying for the original parts when you buy the bike. You can then resell those parts to recoup some cost. They should give you a heafty doscount at least, though. Another nice thing about swapping to MTB brakes and shifters is the general consensus is that MTB disk brakes work better than road disks with drop levers.

Another option to look into might be a “gravel” bike. Naturally, they’re great for rail trails and most will take a rack and handle a light load just fine.
Old 10-06-18, 05:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,542 Times in 7,329 Posts
Surly Cross Check or Straggler?
Old 10-06-18, 06:07 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
Carrying a very light load, occasional use only, more upright position, capable of good quality gravel trails, you could use just about any kind of bike that a commuter would want. If you are only considering a few models, you likely have already ruled out a lot of other bikes.

Ask the bike shop if you can ride both bikes around the parking lot for a while and see what you think of the handling. Do that when the shop is not very busy so the lot is nearly empty. Put a 10 pound weight on the rack when you do that so you have an idea of how the bike would feel. If you want less or more reach or a higher handlebar position, a different stem is cheap and an easy way for a better custom fit.

After you decide on which to get, start thinking about what kind of saddle you want for a 4 or 5 or 6 hour day.

And you might want fenders for days when the trail is wet, look at the amount of fender clearance and maximum size tires you can fit inside fenders. My photo is from my ride on the C&O, thus my comments on fenders.

Old 10-06-18, 10:25 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Interchangeable Parts FTW

Change the handlebars if you don't like what they put in the box ,
when the factory shipped the bike..

you can make personal changes , to make it fit as you prefer..

saddle pedals , add things etc.. your Dealer Shop can help.

Old 10-06-18, 02:14 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There are an endless array of bikes that will serve you well. Get one and go! Post pics when you do.
Old 10-06-18, 04:03 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
  1. Buy the bike you like to ride
  2. Outfit it with 32mm (or larger) tires
  3. Get a saddle pack like this or so something else to carry your stuff
  4. Fill pack with yer clothes & personal items
  5. Enjoy your tour
Old 10-06-18, 04:49 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
2019 Salsa Vaya
- Chromoly w/ Carbon fork
- Shimano 105 - 11 speed
- Up to 700x50 (700x45 w/ fenders)
- Teal or Purple (Better Colors)
- $1800 MSRP

2019 Trek 520
- Chromoly w/ Aluminium fork
- Shimano Sora / Alivio - 9 speed
- FAQ lists 700x38 as largest recommended
- Lower gearing for hills
- Grey or Red
- $1680 MSRP

Either bike will do, but you need to decide what your future plans will be. I don't tour, but own a Vaya with a steel fork that I have used mostly for commuting. It has been a great bike for that task and I ride it unloaded. A bike like the Vaya is probably better for light touring or as an all around bike. A modern 520 is more stable with a large load, so if you intend to do more than light touring, a bike like the 520 may be better. I question the aluminium fork on the 2019 520 so you may want to find an older one if you stick with this model. As most people would suggest, you need to test ride the bikes to see how each feels to you.

I did pick up an old 520 after I bought the Vaya, which I built up to match the fit of my Vaya, so I am now using my 520 as my commuter. However, it is more of a sport tourer with 430mm chainstays and a 50mm BB drop (23" frame) so not a good comparison to a modern 520.

Last edited by katsup; 10-06-18 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-06-18, 09:51 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
If one prefers upright position & is used to flat-bars, how about a nice med-price suspension-fork aluminum hybrid? Suspension fork gives comfy ride on trails & for light load/shorter distance one hardly needs a super-sturdy tourer. Some hybrids have hydraulic brakes yet still are about half the price of a 520.
Old 10-07-18, 12:22 AM
3speed

^ I think that totally makes sense depending on the needs and desires of the rider. I would just add that a suspended hybrid is probably gonna way 10lbs more and not be very fun for a “real” cyclist, for lack of a better term.
Old 10-07-18, 12:51 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Adventure Cycling and Sheldon Brown both offer sound advice on touring builds. Usually the advice consists of "simpler is better". The suggestions here are also good, but I didn't see anyone stress that a weekend rider like myself may greatly appreciate the MTB gearing for climbing. Even without a significant load, there's a sense of accomplishment to climbing without having to push!

I hope to live vicariously through your tours! Family commitments mean I can't use a week of leave to see just how far I can go!
Old 10-07-18, 01:09 PM
fietsbob
Banned

1st week of June, a large number of contestants gather here,OR coast,
to compete in a transcontinental race..

they all pack very light, and are on their own... so a 'tour' on the ACA route
to Yorktown VA. to get there 1st.

unlike the Race Across America , with a support crew and a motorhome
to catch a few winks anywhere, before hitting the road again..

Old 10-08-18, 12:03 AM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by 3speed
^ I think that totally makes sense depending on the needs and desires of the rider. I would just add that a suspended hybrid is probably gonna way 10lbs more and not be very fun for a “real” cyclist, for lack of a better term.
I have an old Trek 7200 alu/susp-fork hybrid that is about the same weight as my Trucker. Fairly fun for around town at least despite the cheapo fork. I think the lower-priced hybrid forks have gotten a bit better but they still lack some features of the better models.
Old 10-08-18, 10:54 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

The GAP trail is flat enough that pretty much any bike (regardless of weight) and any gearing would work. There are a few steep points off of the GAP trail that a rider might encounter for food or lodging, but the amount of elevation is small enough that even if the bike had to be walked up a steep hill for five or ten minutes, it would only be five or ten minutes.

C&O has a number of steeper sections but they are all extremely short at the locks, even if you did not have low gears they are short enough that it would not be a problem if you had some speed up before you climb them.

I rode the GAP when it had been quite wet and I thought that parts of the trail were soft, resulting in a slow ride. So, I think wider is better. There were three of us, I had 50mm wide tires, another had 47mm wide tires and one had 35mm or 37mm. All three of us felt that we had the ideal tires for that ride, but we were all carrying full panniers and camping gear. And the OP does not plan to carry much weight.

I agree a hybrid would work fine, but I would lean towards tires of at least 35 mm just in case it has been wet.
Old 10-08-18, 01:03 PM
stilltheoptimis

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are touring bikes technically built stronger than racing bikes?
Old 10-08-18, 04:50 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by stilltheoptimis
Are touring bikes technically built stronger than racing bikes?
Racing bikes are quite light and are only as strong as they have to be for racing. Racing bikes do not even have the mounts on the frame to install racks.

I have three touring bikes, one is rated for 30 to 35 kg of weight capacity not counting the weight of the rider, one is rated at 60 kg of weight capacity not counting the weight of the rider, and the third has no weight rating.

Look at how many spokes are on each wheel on a racing bike and then look at how many spokes are on a touring bike wheel, you will see the difference.
Old 10-08-18, 06:29 PM
3speed

Originally Posted by DropBarFan
I have an old Trek 7200 alu/susp-fork hybrid that is about the same weight as my Trucker. Fairly fun for around town at least despite the cheapo fork. I think the lower-priced hybrid forks have gotten a bit better but they still lack some features of the better models.
That’s true. I guess when I think hybrid I tend to think of lower end, heavier bikes. There certainly are nicer hybrids by higher end companies, though.
Old 10-09-18, 11:05 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Racing bikes are quite light and are only as strong as they have to be for racing.
That's not true in the production world anymore. Updated European safety standards in the early 1990s caused manufacturers to move to oversize tubes on their steel bikes and equivalents in fatigue resistance and overall strength in their aluminum and carbon bikes. Used to be a road/touring bike had 25.4/28.6 TT/DT but now it's all 28.6/31/8 TT/DT and it shows in the weight and ride quality.

For light touring under <20 pounds full load I would never consider a production touring bike. They're overbuilt for that purpose and would ride poorly for an average riders weight with that size load. I'd much prefer an endurance road bike, regular road bike with rack mounts or even a QR mounted front rack. I finished an overnight last week on an endurance road bike (soma fog cutter) with an 11.5 pound load mounted on a front QR rack, it was a very enjoyable ride and much better than when I had a touring bike and tried similar.
Old 10-09-18, 11:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

An Issue with Road Racing (expensive, Carbon Fiber) bikes is they did not intend to have you fit racks,

But, now with the popularity of Bikepacking bags you don't need racks ,

and since the word Light was the key phrase in the topic, you won't be carrying more than will fit in them.

Another group of such equipped bikes will show up next June to race-tour each other across the country..

Old 10-09-18, 09:05 PM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
For light touring under <20 pounds full load I would never consider a production touring bike. They're overbuilt for that purpose and would ride poorly for an average riders weight with that size load. I'd much prefer an endurance road bike, regular road bike with rack mounts or even a QR mounted front rack. I finished an overnight last week on an endurance road bike (soma fog cutter) with an 11.5 pound load mounted on a front QR rack, it was a very enjoyable ride and much better than when I had a touring bike and tried similar.
I'm light for my height so my Trucker frame is heavier than necessary but even w/o luggage the Trucker has a fairly comfy ride, 50mm tires help of course. I enjoy my new Haanjo EXP Carbon gravel bike mainly since it's so much lighter but ride comfort is about the same. The EXP OTOH handles much better on descents, BTW the the current Haanjo 5C EXP is only $320 more than the Trek 520.
Old 10-10-18, 05:30 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
An Issue with Road Racing (expensive, Carbon Fiber) bikes is they did not intend to have you fit racks,

But, now with the popularity of Bikepacking bags you don't need racks ,

and since the word Light was the key phrase in the topic, you won't be carrying more than will fit in them.

Another group of such equipped bikes will show up next June to race-tour each other across the country
FYA, after years of searching:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I use my carbon fiber endurance bike (Specialized S-Works) for commuting, and my best solution has been to use a seat mounted (not seatpost) Arkel 15 Liter Bikepack.

I have sufficient room to carry just about everything I need. I might add a lightweight backpack for bulky, but light items.
You might check out this thread,“Custom Bag Makers for this recommendation and other suggestions
Originally Posted by Bandera
Dill Pickle Gear: Dill Pickle Gear

The owner, who is active on BF as "Coluber42", is an experienced Randonneur and produces quality kit
I second that recommendation. I have visited her studio, and am planning to order a large saddlebag for my carbon fiber bike [without eyelets for a rack].

But before I bought a saddlebag, I discovered this product (quoted from the thread, Commuting with a backpack... UGH!"; See picture below.).
Originally Posted by Jerrys88
Here is a copy of something I posted on another thread regarding the Green Guru Hauler Bike Pack:

I use one of these on my bike and really like it a lot. It has a stiff plastic insert on the bottom, so it's like a removable rack. It's expandable so it's only as long as it needs to be depending on how much stuff you have in it. It comes with a shoulder strap, so when you reach your destination it can be worn as you would a messenger bag. When I don't need to carry lots of stuff, like when I go out for lunch, I can easily remove it from my bike so I'm left with a bike that has no added weight from an attached rack.

It's very durable and waterproof and I like that it's made entirely from recycled materials. Only downside is the straps that go through the saddle rails are short, so it takes some practice inserting them, but that's a minor complaint.

Also, it only has one outside "pouch" that is a decent size 2-dimensionally, but not 3 dimensionally, if you know what I mean (It's a flat pouch. I would have designed it to have more depth). I fit my smartphone and keys in it, and could probably stuff my wallet in it, but not much else. Not a huge problem - it's quick and easy to undo the side clasps and open the main bag while it's attached to the bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRNyL2xftbs
I used it for about a year, but the back of my thigh did strike the bag [and the bag sways]. Now on my commutes, I wear a backpack .[and subsequently the Arkel, as above].

Addendum: If the links to the external sites do not work, go to the quoted original Bike Forums posts, and follow the links from there.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-10-18 at 07:53 AM. Reason: added additional alternatives to the Arkel, and then added Addendum
Old 10-10-18, 06:40 AM
stilltheoptimis

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Light touring is on my horizon. We have the NCR trail very close by.
Old 10-11-18, 11:23 AM
PeterCT

Bikes: Bianchi Veloce; Trek FX 7.4; Trek 6500 mountain bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would definitely go with the Vaya for light touring over the 520. Its a far more versatile bike that you can also use as a gravel grinder, weekend club rider, Fondo rider, etc.

Last year I did two 1-week tours but keeping gear light on a Trek FX (aluminum frame, carbon fork) that included a lot of gravel roads and about 45-60 mile days.. I did it with 38mm width tires. It was fine and it's sized comfortably, and with a triple front ring and 11-32 cassette in back it has plenty of gearing range, but I could have really used more versatile handlebars. I have a light tour coming up and considered getting a Salsa Vaya, which I liked riding (I also liked the Salsa Journeyman for less $). But in the end I put butterfly handlebars with cushy bar tape on it and for now fixed my hand comfort issues over longer distances. Was able to install it all myself really easily to further save money.

I still have the idea of getting a versatile, steel framed light touring bike, which the Vaya is perfect for, but with wide tires (I have 38's on my Trek and wouldn't mind going wider) I'm not sure frame material is as important, as most of the shock absorption is happening in my tires and getting a new seat post might actually make more sense. I replaced the Bontrager saddle on my FX with a good Fizik and it was a big upgrade in comfort over distances too.

Last edited by PeterCT; 10-11-18 at 12:19 PM.